Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 11:39   #1

Wooden Hull Maintenance

I keep hearing that wooden boats require the most maintenance, but what kind of maintenance? What does it entail?

All I know is there is a problem with rot.

The bottom line for me is am I willing to maintain it.
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 11:53   #2

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Re: Wooden Hull Maintenance

No, you really aren't. Nobody is. It's insanity.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 15:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See the
USCG Guidance on Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance of Wooden Hulls (NVIC 7-95)

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/1995/n7-95.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 15:52   #4

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. lulz View Post
I keep hearing that wooden boats require the most maintenance, but what kind of maintenance? What does it entail?

All I know is there is a problem with rot.

The bottom line for me is am I willing to maintain it.
Are you willing to maintain her till death do you part?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 17:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
See the
USCG Guidance on Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance of Wooden Hulls (NVIC 7-95)

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/1995/n7-95.pdf
too many words
Old 28-07-2011, 17:45   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wood , then , is way too much work for you
as usual, gord--good info.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 19:02   #7

Find a properly built wooden boat first, because this eliminates most maintenance problems. Actually you should find someone that truly knows wooden boats and how to maintain them first. Be willing to pay this person to find out what he knows. Also don't listen to 98% of what is on the wooden boat forum. There is an abundance of old wives tales out there about wooden boat maintenance which is even perpetuated by some yacht finish producers etc.
mebccb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 19:19   #8

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Having owned many wooden boats in the past, both recreational and commercial, I can say: 1. A wood boat just plain "feels" better than a glass boat. 2. Glass boat owners spend at least as much time maintaining them as wood boat owners. 3. If you're a proficient carpenter you can do any needed repairs, if not...forget it (unless you're filthy rich) because there will be repairs. 4. There IS rot somewhere, probably everywhere. You'll become proficient at using Git-Rot. Stock up.
5. You'll also learn how to use a caulking iron, a steaming box, how to refasten planks, what a toredo worm is, and how to operate a crash pump as the floorboards start to float when she tries to sink every spring.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 19:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I've owned wood, glass and steel boats. No aluminum or cement yet but give me time.

Wood boats can be maintained with reasonable cost and time IF you live on the boat, stay on top of the maintenance all the time, and you start with one in reasonable shape AND you are a good carpenter with access to a work shop and tools.

If you ever have to go away and leave it untended for months, in or out of the water, it can be big money or big time or both to get it back into good condition.

Glass boats will suffer neglect and come back better and cheaper than other boats.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 20:04   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Skipmac said it well. I also would make the point that in the tropics there are many little critters that can find a chip in the paint and make a hole in your hull pretty quickly. Toredo worms were mentioned by they really are a menace. I used to haul my wood boat every 18 months just to make certain they weren't getting in there.
Freshwater is a wood boat's enemy so a very rainy climate and a neglected wood boat are going to clash.
Good luck. I truly loved my wood boat until I had to leave her due to a transfer. Working on a ship in Norfolk and thinking about what is deteriorating on my wood boat in Bremerton was a huge problem. Finally had to sell her.
kind regards,
Old 02-08-2011, 04:50   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. lulz View Post
too many words
If that’s truly representative of your attitude, then a boat of any construction is likely to be “too much work” to maintain; and I doubt you'd be willing to maintain it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:42   #12

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I rebuilt an egg harbor 37 woodie into a wood - sanitred permaflex - PL premium polyurethane construction adhesive- sikaflex composite hull.
Basically took off all the bottom planks, renewed repaired framing, coated all pieces with permaflex, rescrewed with new bronze, caulked with PL and Sikaflex concrete crack repair (like honey), and topcoated all with more permaflex. Also sealed aft bulkhead to hull to create a watertight compartment.
hull is dry from the sea but collects the rain.
Not to mention when I first got the boat, replaced entire transom and some rear decking plywood underlayment.
I need to replace the rest of the under lying plywood sitting under the teak covering boards with PT plywood.

So wood boats can be a lot of work. This one was made in 1970, so got to expect it needed work being that old. Steel hulls rust, fiberglass is better but can delaminate, crack, have core issues and feel like a giant plastic bathtub on the water. And many have wooden bulkheads- stringers which rot.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28   #13

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

The Vikings just burned them and built another....less work I guess. (legal disclaimer I am in no way inferring you should burn your
boat, it was a joke)
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 22:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
If that’s truly representative of your attitude, then a boat of any construction is likely to be “too much work” to maintain; and I doubt you'd be willing to maintain it.
I'm slightly kidding, but I tend to believe that most documents are way more verbose than they should be. It's rare to see documentation that's in context, straight to the point, and structures information in order of importance.

I'm probably better off dealing with problems as I go and refer to a book when needed.
Old 21-01-2012, 12:49   #15

Boat: Cibert, Titán 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I've owned wood, glass and steel boats. No aluminum or cement yet but give me time.

Wood boats can be maintained with reasonable cost and time IF you live on the boat, stay on top of the maintenance all the time, and you start with one in reasonable shape AND you are a good carpenter with access to a work shop and tools.

If you ever have to go away and leave it untended for months, in or out of the water, it can be big money or big time or both to get it back into good condition.

Glass boats will suffer neglect and come back better and cheaper than other boats.
Well, I live on the boat and it's true that you have to keep watching constantly but it's not a terrible work to do. I love my boat as it's my home, eventhough I didn't take her off yet, which I hope to do this year in the proper season (most likely May) and spend a full month working on her. When I bought the boat it was in reasonble shape. I sailed 80 times, an average of 15/20 miles each time, so I think it's time to give her the attention she needs.
Fortunately she never gets water from the bottom and I keep her full covered from bow to stern with a good cover. But it's time to take her off and check the caulking, varnish her totally and change the deck caulking.
kumgang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, maintenance