Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2018, 14:54   #61

Re: Wood Choices, types and locations....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltouche View Post
If I could re-start up this thread with another question.... What about a solid mast.... I am going up tomorrow to start a new home build in the Mountains and we're cutting down some..... Douglas Fir.... YA!!! Was wondering if I can make the mizzen solid...pros/cons there are at least a half dozen masts on site... either way, i'll use this lumber
You're going to need to dry it for years first.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 14:58   #62

well that answers that question. I was thinking about a year. I'll mill it down then dry it for a year. This is going to be about a 3 year project to restore this boat, so no hurry...
Michaeltouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 16:31   #63
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The only Pro:
Construction time is way less

The Cons:
Weight is much higher
Hidden defects inside
Problem running cables

I could probably think of more Cons of a solid mast.
Ok for a boom, where you want the weight, but not for a mast
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 16:49   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltouche View Post
well that answers that question. I was thinking about a year. I'll mill it down then dry it for a year. This is going to be about a 3 year project to restore this boat, so no hurry...
There's often some warping with drying. Maybe mill it after. A good drying process will occur if you rotate the log every few weeks and avoid laying in hot direct sun if you are in a hot area.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 16:54   #65

ya, Cheechacko.. probably will down large first go round then dry out and mill to 2x.
and sounds like I need to grab a few logs for the booms. My main mast is in good shape but boom has scarf joint rotted out, so thinking just replace with new on that.
Michaeltouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 14:58   #66
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

re, solid masts..friend uses telephone poles as masts on his schooner. they do well.
\i found a red cedar tha t matches my masts and some 2 or 3 years older than mine.; no rot no issues.
love my cedar. spruce masts on these donot last 40 years. they have a tough go making 30 years without rotting at bases. mine donot do that. i win/ have fun kids. so what you donot know what kinda cedar i have. aint spruce..is better than rotty spruce with bug issues. the cedar ones donot have rot nor bugs issues. of 5 of my kind of boat here, only 2, those without spruce rotting on em have zero rot or bug issues. the cedar was procured in thailand. is reddish. mine. wonderful.
the original poster has a formosa built boat. forgot if is formosa or ct. both use same woods. all were made by same family, chen family, under different yard business names. i believe ct uses spruce. my formosa was fortunate to not have spruce masts, as were many other formosas
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 20:31   #67

two letters that solve all this rigamarole about wooden masts. CF

jmmx3 is offline   Reply With Quote