Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2013, 18:46   #1

Boat: beneteau 411
Wireless wind indicator

Does anyone have an opinion on wireless wind indicators? We have an existing 15 year old B&G system which is broken. Wired replacement will be difficult and expensive. The boat is a Beneteau 411 .
biniberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 18:50   #2

Boat: Gib sea 43
Re: Wireless wind indicator

stay away from tiktack... not good

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 18:54   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by biniberg View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on wireless wind indicators? We have an existing 15 year old B&G system which is broken. Wired replacement will be difficult and expensive. The boat is a Beneteau 411 .
Had exactly the same situation except the previous owner had "relieved the vessel of its B&G burden" (aka stripped the boat) prior to sale. They'd left the previous B&G transducer cable in the mast so I simply chinese-fingered the new transducer cable to the old one and used it as a cable-pull (down the mast) to install the new one. No more cost than the new transducer and some harness imprints on my thighs!
Old 24-04-2013, 19:05   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I've got a Nexus wireless wind indicator on my boat. Been on about 1 year now and never had an issue with it. Although the spinny thing is a bit big and funky compared to other systems, I'd certainly recommend it, although I have heard you need to make sure to test the location of the receiver in relation to the wind indicator before screwing everything down as a precaution to prevent communication problems.

Mine's even survived abuse by this hitch hiker...

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 19:10   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've been relying on the same wireless wind indicators since 1970. Actually, two wireless indicators, one on each upper shroud. I rely on two pieces of red yarn, each about six enches long and tied to the shroud well above the deck.
Old 24-04-2013, 19:55   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I've been relying on the same wireless wind indicators since 1970. Actually, two wireless indicators, one on each upper shroud. I rely on two pieces of red yarn, each about six enches long and tied to the shroud well above the deck.
OOhhh, but Captain... ain't them shrouds WIRES??

Hee,hee...

Jim
Old 24-04-2013, 19:59   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OOhhh, but Captain... ain't them shrouds WIRES??

Hee,hee...

Jim
Damn, you're right!...and here I thought I was free from the wireless technology. What do I have to do,- feel the breeze on the back of my neck!
Old 24-04-2013, 20:04   #8

Opinions vary, but we like our Tackticks a lot. 4 seasons in and aside from a lightening storm that took out a bunch of electronics at our marina, no problems at all (wind, speed and depth). Raymarine covered the strike out of warranty too (only lost the wind transmitter, not the control heads). Ours are full solar, so we can bring them down below when not sailing.

Wired/wireless, if there's something at the top of the mast you'll need to go up at some point.
Jake Tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:23   #9
D2D

Boat: Boatless for Now; former owner of a Robertson & Caine Leopard 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Tanley View Post
Opinions vary, but we like our Tackticks a lot. 4 seasons in and aside from a lightening storm that took out a bunch of electronics at our marina, no problems at all (wind, speed and depth). Raymarine covered the strike out of warranty too (only lost the wind transmitter, not the control heads). Ours are full solar, so we can bring them down below when not sailing.

Wired/wireless, if there's something at the top of the mast you'll need to go up at some point.

How high is your mast? Our wireless wind instruments on top of our 70 ft mast stopped working after day 2....
D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:41   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We have Tacktick, but the cups hardly spin anymore in lighter winds. We have had the unit before Raymarine bought it, and now we can't get a replacement for it without replacing the whole unit.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:06   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
We have Tacktick, but the cups hardly spin anymore in lighter winds. We have had the unit before Raymarine bought it, and now we can't get a replacement for it without replacing the whole unit.
We're in the same boat . We have an old TackTick (not sure how old ... came with the boat). The windspeed sensor -- the cups -- get stuck every once in a while. I took the mast down three seasons ago, and pulled the windy off. I cleaned it up a bit, and kinda worked the bearings. The following season it worked flawlessly. However this past season we're starting to see it get stuck again in low winds. So perhaps a simple cleaning might help ReMetau.
Old 10-01-2014, 13:27   #12

Boat: Roberts 345 (modified)

We had TackTick on our previous boat. We bought them and used them for 7 years. I know the current owner is still happy with them. We had log, depth sounder, wind indicator, compass... Full system for a 31 foot racing boat. It was very good system.

-Johanna-
www.sailfaraway.net
Jonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 15:40   #13

Boat: Niagara 35

I really like my tacktick unit. Had to replace the mast top unit when I bought the boat and they were very helpful and gave me a good deal. I really like being able to bring the indicator down below so I know how scared I should be by the howling in the rigging. I can also move them around depending on where guests are sitting so I can actually see the darn thing.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 16:44   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Another vote for Tacktick. We installed a system on a Wharram cat 5 years ago and everything is still working perfectly.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 09:55   #15

Boat: Alberg 35 Yawl eventide

Can't believe you have a tack tic that works.mine worked one day.then here & there.this stuff is junk.my tech refuses to install any more or them.too many issues.
blakeney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, Wind indicators