Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 15:03   #1

Boat: Freedom 39 pilothouse
Window Gasket Needed

I am rebuilding an old Freedom 39 pilothouse and am replacing the large fixed windows with Lexan. I'd like to use universal d-lock window gasket and not 'glue' them in place. This is the gasket that has a grove for the window, an opposite grove for the mounting flange, and a center grove that accepts the locking strip. I even used it many years ago for automotive windshields. It not only makes removal/replacement easier, it provides a clean finish and does not require finish trim (which I do not have and do not wish to fabricate). Since it seems I can no longer find the universal gasket and locking strip, does anyone know where I can purchase?
Thanks
OldRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Window Gasket Needed

Welcome to CF!
I found some a few years back at JC Whitney
Old 14-03-2011, 15:36   #3

I actually tried there. They no longer have the universal 50' or 100' roll. They do have precut 'kits' for Jeeps and older vehicles which I think will not be long enough - maybe using two pieces may be an option.
Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully this season will provide a few stories to share.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:44   #4

Unhappy Re: Window Gasket Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRover View Post
I actually tried there. They no longer have the universal 50' or 100' roll. They do have precut 'kits' for Jeeps and older vehicles which I think will not be long enough - maybe using two pieces may be an option.
Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully this season will provide a few stories to share.
OK, I admit I'm lazy and I do all that I can to make my life easier. thanks
ledlight25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 18:24   #5

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362

C.R. Laurence Co., Inc.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 21:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Just a comment. If you are using Lexan, you might want to be sure and keep them covered in the future. As I understand it, a year of UV exposure to Lexan will make it somewhat weaker than a cast acrylic window of the same age. Cast acrylic is often a much better solution. I replaced one small window about 3 years ago with Lexan. Then did all of our portlights with cast acrylic. The Lexan now needs to be replaced again. The cast acrylic looks new.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 17:47   #7

C.R. Laurence Co - that would be it. Thanks.

I prefer polycarbonate to acrylic for strength, its basically indestructible and does not scratch as easily. So far I have not had any UV issues. Maybe a quick polish after a few years to remove the fogginess. I am using product from Bull Dog (I think) distributed by Interstate Plastics who said it was formulated for outdoor use (UV inhibiter). Plus I will be using a nylon fabric mesh screen most of the time. I saw another guy with the screens mounted externally and thought it looked great. Acts as a good shade, provides privacy, and can be unsnapped and rolled for storing very easily.

Tags
gasket