Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2007, 14:50   #1

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
Who adds extras to their antifoul?

Hi just wondering who adds extras to their antifoul. Like cayeen pepper. tabasco sauce, chilli, etc etc. Do you believe they helped and can adding extras actually make your antifoul less effective?
Andy
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 15:16   #2

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking69 View Post
Hi just wondering who adds extras to their antifoul. Like cayeen pepper. tabasco sauce, chilli, etc etc. Do you believe they helped and can adding extras actually make your antifoul less effective?
Andy
I always added about 4oz of cayenne pepper to each gallon of anti-fouling. I can't tell you for certain that it was effective but I never had problems with my anti-fouling and nothing lived on it for the 1st 6 months. I figured, if that stuff sickens me, it must do something to those critters.

My experience has shown me that the best thing that I could do for any anti-fouling is to NOT touch it for at least 12-months. Before I started using the cayenne pepper, I seemed to always get a dirty bottom after 4-6 months. When using it, I seemed to stay pretty clean for at least 6-9 months.

BTW, different ocean environments demand different anti-fouling. I always applied 2 coats (minimum) all over and a 3rd coat to all leading edges, rudder and water-line. If I could get surplus USN Submarine paint cheap (like I did in Hawaii), I put on 4 coats and didn't repaint for 3 years. I did have to keep it scrubbed though (after the 1st year).
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 15:50   #3

Boat: Lotus 10.6
A guy in our marina put DDT into his antifouling 7 years ago. He has not used the boat and the bottom is still clean. You cannot get DDT anymore apparently.
Old 13-12-2007, 16:03   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
A guy in our marina put DDT into his antifouling 7 years ago. He has not used the boat and the bottom is still clean. You cannot get DDT anymore apparently.
How much per gallon?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:08   #5

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
FYI, TBT (tributyl tin) is a legal additive to bathroom paint and can be purchased in any paint store. It is sold as an mold preventative.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:11   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Apparently there's a fellah in Langkawi that has all kinds of potions in Jelly Jars. You can buy just about anything you want from him.

Haven't been there (yet) but I am looking forward to meeting his 3 eyed kids and 6 legged dog.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:12   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
You cannot get DDT anymore apparently.
yeah, ask the Inuits why.

Quote:
The Inuit of northern Quebec dine on seal and beluga whale blubber -- food loaded with organochlorine compounds such as the pesticide DDT and PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls).
Probably as a result of this diet, Inuit mothers exhibit some of the world's highest recorded concentrations of PCBs in breast milk, report Pierre Ayotte and his colleagues at Laval University Hospital in Ste-Foy, Quebec. But omega-3 fatty acids in the blubber may help protect against some of the organochlorines' toxic effects, Ayotte adds.
From: Organochlorines lace Inuit breast milk - DDT and polychlorinated biphenyls - Brief Article Science News - Find Articles

Some environemental stuff I think is drivel, but other things I think are vitally important. Any paint that kills natural growth for 7 years must be very bad for the environment.

Spicey curry powder, cayenne pepper and a dash of cinamin, nutmeg and chilli sounds like an organic solution! Atleast we can lick the paint brush to clean up!

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:29   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
yeah, ask the Inuits why.

From: Organochlorines lace Inuit breast milk - DDT and polychlorinated biphenyls - Brief Article Science News - Find Articles

Some environmental stuff I think is drivel, but other things I think are vitally important. Any paint that kills natural growth for 7 years must be very bad for the environment.

Spicey curry powder, cayenne pepper and a dash of cinamin, nutmeg and chilli sounds like an organic solution! Atleast we can lick the paint brush to clean up!

Mark
While I agree about humans causing problems in our environment that study was only on 107 mothers. It was also in 94. Since then the stuff about bird shells being too soft because of DDT has been debunked. It is "agreed" now that thousands who die each year would not if we still had DDT and "used it responsibly".

But then we are humans and that would not happen.

When I get the boat I will see if I can find some DDT and use it responsibly.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:35   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
It'll keep the mosquitoes down
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:40   #10
Eternal Member

Compound-X from the Star Brite company. It is an additive you put in your bottom paint that, the company claims, doubles the life of the antifouling properties. Compound-X is really tetracycline hydrochloride, a relative of an antibiotic you may have taken to get well. It works by providing a bacteriostatic layer on the surface of the paint.

Have used it for years. It works. Boat US used to carry it; maybe still does.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 17:50   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
While I agree about humans causing problems in our environment that study was only on 107 mothers. It was also in 94. Since then the stuff about bird shells being too soft because of DDT has been debunked. It is "agreed" now that thousands who die each year would not if we still had DDT and "used it responsibly".

But then we are humans and that would not happen.

be sure to let us know where and when
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 18:18   #12

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
I cant believe anyone would actually use DDT anymore. The crud that groups (such as the CATO group) have been trying to pass off as science, saying it has no effect on birds, it total crap. The half life of DDE (the resulting chemical from DDT) is extreemly long and bioacumulation is a problem. Thanks to my previous generations, from the 1940's-1970's, I have DDE, PCB's, and a multitude of other chemicals I cannot get away from, and increase my probability of cancer. I cant hold that against them, they didnt know. Reference scientific journals, not anti-environmental or special interest groups to find answers to questions. What they say about DDT not causing problems, by itself, is relatively true. The problem is when it breaks down into DDE. They use this info to say DDT causes no problems in the reproductive abilities of birds. What a bunch of bull. Please dont use DDT in your bottom paint.

"The most dramatic chemical effect on reproductive performance in birds was the result of
eggshell thinning, caused by DDE, a degradation product of DDT [9–13]. Since limitations have been
placed on the manufacture and use of these persistent widespread contaminants, concentrations in fish
and birds have decreased [14,15]. Currently, concentrations of DDE in birds from many areas of North
America have decreased below concentrations associated with eggshell thinning. As a result, populations
of some fish-eating, water birds have increased rapidly [16]. However, other adverse effects, such
as localized impairment of reproductive performance [17] and anatomical defects [1,18] persist. While
exposure to certain organochlorine compounds, such as DDT and its degradation products, is associated
with adverse effects, the mechanism of action is still not fully understood. It was not known if the currently
observed effects were due to existing contaminants and would abate as concentrations decreased
further or if the effects were caused by some, as yet unidentified chemicals."
2003 : Michigan State University, Department of Zoology, National Food Safety and
Toxicology Center, Institute for Environmental Toxicology, East Lansing, MI 48824,
USA
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 20:02   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
There is no science that shows any of these additives do anything more to prevent fouling. But if it makes you feel better go for it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 20:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
FYI, TBT (tributyl tin) is a legal additive to bathroom paint and can be purchased in any paint store. It is sold as an mold preventative.
Thanks for the heads up on that. Was curious if there was anything available.

Regarding the DDT, that's insane that anyone would slap that crap all over their boats. Tin and copper are bad enough, but DDT is taking it to a whole different level. Why not just spray the bottom with a 50/50 blend of vaseline and arsenic?

I thought the tin ban was only for little boats. The big container ships still use it I think? Pretty sure the Navy does to.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 20:38   #15

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Apparently there's a fellah in Langkawi that has all kinds of potions in Jelly Jars. You can buy just about anything you want from him.

Haven't been there (yet) but I am looking forward to meeting his 3 eyed kids and 6 legged dog.

Theres a guy like him near the chinese wharves in Penang as well.

I heard that cuprous oxide wood preservative was good as it ups the copper content of the bottom paint.

Also using tetracycline (antibotic) supposedly works.

I think that big ships having TBT on their bottom in our ports and travelling through our reef systems constantly pose more of a threat than a few yachties.

At the moment off of Mackay and Gladstone there are probably 20 + ships waiting to come in, all with TBT antifoul

Found this interesting link where apparently TBT is used in babies dispossable nappies.

Cheeky Butts - Modern Cloth Nappies Website

Quote:
Recently, concern has been raised about the presence of Tributyl Tin (TBT) in disposable nappies. Research done has shown that there were significant levels of TBT in many brands of disposable nappy, including those on sale in the Australia. Babies may be in contact with up to 3.6 times the estimated tolerable daily intake. TBT is an environmental pollutant which is used in anti-fouling ship paint. It is known to disrupt the endocrine and immune function of marine shellfish and there are international plans to phase out its use.

Could this be why some of the youth of today seem to have attitude problems?

Dave