Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2021, 01:32   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Wheel Brake Handle Fix/Replacement

Does anyone have an idea how to improve this situation?

The 40 year old plastic finally gave out on the wheel brake bib/handle while making my way around Cape Agulhas. My initial thought was drill out that little hole on the shaft, and bolt on a new handle of sorts, but the shaft seems a little cracked (and the hole a little small). I was also thinking about some kind of clamp set up around the shaft until I can find/order an actually replacement.

Thanks
Austin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58D985D3-E9F4-4D84-B853-69D9BFFFD1EA.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	250289  
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 06:04   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Wheel Brake Handle Fix/Replacement

Nasty. Several cracks in the system, suggesting that the connection between the shaft and the handle was loose. Yeah, replacement will be the way to go when you can.

I suggest that you start by cleaning the shaft carefully so that you better see that crack. If you can see the end of it, stop drill it with a small bit so it won't get worse.

Then, assume that you will replace it, so you are free now to make just about any jury rig to get home. I think I'g take my largest Vise Grip locking pliers and clamp it as hard as possible, and use that as a handle. If that's not enough torque (it shold be; this isn't a high load application), I'd grind two flats on the shaft to better anchor the pliers.

There have been several threads on the forum regarding dificulty finding binnacle parts. Do you know the manufacturer and have a parts list?

Lesson for the future: Parts that are supposed to be a rigid assembly but are not quickly destroy themselves.

BTW: The assembly looks odd in the photograph. The handle has a keyway, but the shaft has a hole for a cotter pin. Were these two meant to go together?
Old 26-12-2021, 09:48   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Looks like you're gonna have to repair or replace the shaft.

For now, if you have the pin, some epoxy, and a hose clamp that will fit around the small part of the wheel, I think you can effect a 'fix' that will last 'for a bit'. If you dont have any epoxy, it'll stilll work, but probably not as long.

If you have a small clamp to fit around the shaft as well, so much the better.

No clamps but plenty of epoxy? Wind some non-stretchy twine or thread around both parts and saturate with epoxy...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 13:26   #4

Thanks for the advice and insight.

I used small vice grips to get to port and they worked fairly well

I’m going to search for the maker of the binnacle tomorrow, but at one point I think I found it was Edson, just not sure which model.

And yes the assembly seems rather weird but I think the “key” was fixed to the shaft. A plastic piece as the two “winged” keys, appears to have been fixed to the shaft with a pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Nasty. Several cracks in the system, suggesting that the connection between the shaft and the handle was loose. Yeah, replacement will be the way to go when you can.

I suggest that you start by cleaning the shaft carefully so that you better see that crack. If you can see the end of it, stop drill it with a small bit so it won't get worse.

Then, assume that you will replace it, so you are free now to make just about any jury rig to get home. I think I'g take my largest Vise Grip locking pliers and clamp it as hard as possible, and use that as a handle. If that's not enough torque (it shold be; this isn't a high load application), I'd grind two flats on the shaft to better anchor the pliers.

There have been several threads on the forum regarding dificulty finding binnacle parts. Do you know the manufacturer and have a parts list?

Lesson for the future: Parts that are supposed to be a rigid assembly but are not quickly destroy themselves.

BTW: The assembly looks odd in the photograph. The handle has a keyway, but the shaft has a hole for a cotter pin. Were these two meant to go together?
Old 26-12-2021, 13:40   #5

If I can drill out the whole in the shaft without further destruction, then I definitely have more options

At sea I tried hose clamps on a makeshift handle but couldn’t get them tight enough, the whole thing spun. But I like your idea of epoxy and twine. Or maybe just fill the nob hole/end with epoxy, keyway and all and just slide it on to the shaft.

Also I think the old pin is what is broke off inside the shaft hole. And the little bits of key that are stuck in inside of the handle probably have some pin inside I think the pin went through the key, connecting it to the shaft. But the twisting motion sheared the key and the pin inside of it.

Thanks for the ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Looks like you're gonna have to repair or replace the shaft.

For now, if you have the pin, some epoxy, and a hose clamp that will fit around the small part of the wheel, I think you can effect a 'fix' that will last 'for a bit'. If you dont have any epoxy, it'll stilll work, but probably not as long.

If you have a small clamp to fit around the shaft as well, so much the better.

No clamps but plenty of epoxy? Wind some non-stretchy twine or thread around both parts and saturate with epoxy...
Old 28-12-2021, 02:58   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

That is an Edson. The pin that goes through the shaft it is all that prevents the knob from turning. Now Edson uses a stainless knob - the same one that use to secure the wheel, with a plastic insert that clamps the pin.

I don't understand the OP's remark about using a vice grip. The only time the brake should be tight is when at anchor to prevent the rudder from moving. All other times it should be loose. It is easy to tie the wheel off at anchor - better mechanically than using the brake.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 04:48   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The Vise Grip was to create a handle by gripping the shaft, not tightening in its own right.
Old 28-12-2021, 05:17   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

Edson sells the parts to rebuild this. Not sure of the shaft itself, I'm sure you can get it, but I don't think it is a common part. The newer models are similar, but the brake is on the center of the steering wheel. The knob, pin, bushing, a special washer inside, and the brake shoes are standard rebuild parts and easy to get. You can have all of those shipped to Capetown easy enough. With new pads, you won't need to crank on the break as hard to get it to work. That might be part of the cause of failure.

I can't tell from the pictures. Is the pin broken and stuck in the hole? If it's stuck, you should be able to drive it out with a small hole punch. Small pins should be available locally, and a simple handle could be fabricated.

I can't fathom how the shaft might have cracked, unless someone beat on it with a hammer. Could it just be a surface scratch?

Lastly, given the age, and assuming you also have some miles on this system, if you are going to do any work on it, replace EVERYTHING before you cross the Atlantic. There is a pedestal rebuild kit, and replace the chain and wire, and replace the idler assembly. In particular, 40 years ago the idler assembly was mild steel plate, and is almost certainly rusted and about to fail- unless it has been replaced already somewhere down the line.

I have some friends in Capetown right now, that had a steering failure and had to turn back to Capetown with the emergency tiller. The idler assembly failed.
Old 28-12-2021, 05:20   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
That is an Edson. The pin that goes through the shaft it is all that prevents the knob from turning. Now Edson uses a stainless knob - the same one that use to secure the wheel, with a plastic insert that clamps the pin.

I don't understand the OP's remark about using a vice grip. The only time the brake should be tight is when at anchor to prevent the rudder from moving. All other times it should be loose. It is easy to tie the wheel off at anchor - better mechanically than using the brake.
No, not just at anchor. If using a Hydrovane (and I am sure others) windvane, the wheel break needs to be set while sailing. If you don't have any type of windvane or autopilot, it is also common to set the break and balance the sails.
Old 28-12-2021, 09:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Lastly, given the age, and assuming you also have some miles on this system, if you are going to do any work on it, replace EVERYTHING before you cross the Atlantic. There is a pedestal rebuild kit, and replace the chain and wire, and replace the idler assembly. In particular, 40 years ago the idler assembly was mild steel plate, and is almost certainly rusted and about to fail- unless it has been replaced already somewhere down the line.
The chain should be replaced every four to five years if putting on the miles. Also carry a spare set. The existing set can be rebuilt without going to Edson. The chain is stainless steel bicycle chain and is available from industrial suppliers at much lower cost. Edson has bronze fittings to transition to the wire - they can be re-used or just use thimbals around the chain ends. Hopefully your autopilot or windvane does not require the wheel to turn the rudder.

We went through St. Georges cut (Bermuda) on autopilot when our chain broke. Once the chain breaks there is little point to patching it with master links. By that point the whole chain is very worn and will break again.
Old 28-12-2021, 10:55   #11

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

It is an Edson. Brake pads are probably gone. Time for a total rebuild...cables, all bearings, axles and bronze bearings. Check anything that moves and the engine shift and speed stuff. If you should be able to steer or shift or control the engine speed... easily and smoothly.
There are several Edson parts which fail and are just an indication a total rebuild is required. Almost always, other parts are at the end of service life.
Easier to repair now than when you are at sea.
The manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 05:50   #12

Thanks Everyone for the replies. I was able to drill out the old pin and make a replacement from a screw with the head cut off (it acts as the key and pin now). I used a house clamp around the nob part to prevent the handle from cracking and loosing more. It’s quite solid now. If it comes off again I will repeat similar steps but with epoxy.

As to the use of the break it remains locked 99% of my passages and the hydrovane does all the work. I generally only steer on exit/entry to anchorage/marina.

Thanks also for everyone scaring me into changing out everything, but the system seems in good shape. From what I see of the chain it is in good shape with a decent amount of grease still on it. I do carry spare steering cables and the hydrovane is an auxiliary rudder. I also have a backup tiller that goes through to the main rudder stock should the wheel fail. But as mentioned above I rarely use the wheel.

Thanks again all.
Old 30-12-2021, 06:37   #13

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Can you make a new metal knob from a v-belt pulley? they are available in alum.,steel,ss.
https://www.grainger.ca/en/category/...Pulleys/c/5260
Old 30-12-2021, 08:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Can you make a new metal knob from a v-belt pulley? they are available in alum.,steel,ss.
https://www.grainger.ca/en/category/...Pulleys/c/5260
Or you can buy a ready made Edson SS replacement handle for $75.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=128635

Tags
men, wheel