Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2015, 22:43   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Re: What's on your Defender sale list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehmc View Post
Then I discovered this one "Seachoice Products Pump Blast Air Horn"!!!! we have used one, One, for over two years! the only reason i got a new one was I sat on it and broke it. so I bought two to have an extra, but dont think I will every need the extra.
I had seen those manual air horns but didn't think it would be loud enough, or wouldn't be able to produce a continuous 3-4 second blast. But given your recommendation I need to consider that!

I have the mini Falcon SuperSound now and don't like it because sometimes it cuts out in the middle of the blast even though I still have the trigger down.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 22:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztsf View Post
Regarding your tank monitor - if you are looking to do a holding tank, I successfully installed the SCAD (the cheaper one on Defender's website), on my last boat. You have to have a non-metallic tank, and must have access to at least one side from bottom to top. The sensor is a metallic strip, taped onto the side of the tank and wired back tot he display head (which contains the processor). The installation is very easy - if you have the above condition. The display unit will read "Empty - 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 and Full". I have that satisfactory to maintain my tank and schedule my pump-outs.

On my new boat, I have a Tank Tender monitoring the fuel and water tanks. It seems to work quite well.
Thanks for the info on SCAD. I've seen several external sensors like that and having trouble choosing between them. I don't have side access to the holding tank at the moment because it was surrounded by injected insulation for some reason (orange bubbly looking stuff). Presumably to prevent movement, but I think it would've been better to do that with a tie down strap or wood blocks. I'll probably be able to cut out a section of the insulation molding.
Old 26-03-2015, 03:59   #18

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Last week I bought an 11 lb claw anchor from them. I have always wanted one to use as a lightweight stern anchor. . . .

Its nominal list price was $55, normally sold for $42, and they had "special buy" pricing at $18.

I figured, wow -- can't beat that. I assumed that was as low as it would go and they wouldn't offer their spring sale pricing on it, so I ordered it.

Today I see they have big sale pricing of $15 on it. I weep tears of remorse for the $3 I could've saved.

The frugal sailor's nightmare!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 06:18   #19

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeon_tsd View Post
new B&G Package.

maybe a new Solar controller
some line for my new Garhauer Traveler
jacket for the wife
washdown pump
bungee cord

and and and
Do a little shopping around before putting the money down on the B & G. Defender are not the best with major electronics items. Often the motor boat websites are cheaper.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 06:51   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to leont

ACR 2848 EPiRB price on the maritimesupermall.com is $558.88 without the hype, and it is still $622.24 "on sale" on the Defender website.
leont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 20:30   #21

Boat: Lafitte 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Do a little shopping around before putting the money down on the B & G. Defender are not the best with major electronics items. Often the motor boat websites are cheaper.

They have a sick deal right now on the Zeus Touch. I am sure that B&G will be canning it soon in favour of Zeus2... but it is a crazy deal... then the sale happened and I couldn't say no.
Old 27-03-2015, 06:50   #22

Boat: Able 50

If you are happy with the price then do it.

A deal like that means a new model is coming.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehmc View Post
Hi Tessellate! Signal horn suggestion!
We have to open 4 bridges almost every time we head out with a long and a short. we went through $15 air cans at least 4-5 per year.

Then I discovered this one "Seachoice Products Pump Blast Air Horn"!!!! we have used one, One, for over two years!
Hey Mike, quick question on your horn recommendation - does the Seachoice Super Blast actually work for producing long blasts (4 seconds, or perhaps 2 seconds)?
They have this cheesy promotional video on Youtube which is actually pretty funny:

It demonstrates how it works and it looks like pressing the plunger only has sufficient distance/air for a short 1-second honk. If that's the case it wouldn't work well for bridges. Just want to make sure before I buy one.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:59   #24

Our Bridges have a one long one short requirement too. And we use it all the time for those bridges. But... The Four second long, man that is about a half can of compressed air. all boats around here typically use about a 2-3 second long and a short. and there is sort of plenty for that work. if you slowly press the plunger you get about 2/3 the decibels. but you can get a four second shot. We do a little faster and get a louder 2-3 second shot, then use full force to get a max decibels one second shot. we have not had problems.

Maybe I'll take my own video tonight. But I imagine you could return it if you didnt like it.

I also keep a compressed air horn as backup. have not needed it. the bridges open.

Good luck.
Mike
mikehmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender, sale