Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 11:54   #1

Boat: Dehler 39 CWS
What is the best material for renewing non-skid deck for older Dehler?

I've been looking for different materials to use for renewing my boat's non-skid areas. Looks like older Dehlers had some kind of special material glued on the non-skid areas that looked like this:

My boat's previous owners have painted it but it would be better to replace those. I have not succeeded to find this material. Does anybody have any idea what this could be and where to get it?

In case I'm not able to find it, I think I'll just go with KiwiGrip as it looks like it is durable and easy to apply. If you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to recommend me some alternatives. Thank you!
systik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 12:09   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: What is the best material for renewing non-skid deck for older Dehler?

We'll need higher resoultion, close up shots in order to say with certainty what that material is. But if you want a glue down material, look at Treadmaster. The sort with the large diamond grip pattern.

For paint on non-skid, silica sand & 1-part poly paint works well. Get sand that's been "sorted" so that you know there's no iron content in it, as if there's any trace iron your decks may bleed rust. But with silica sand I've not had that issue. And it's cheap, & simple to use.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 12:27   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

Any of the faux teak pvc replacements are good options.

We replaced the 31 year old original teak deck on our Liberty 458 with Dek King from the UK. We also replaced the non teak cabin roof awlgrip with Dek King.

It looks better and is far better non slip. It's also kinder on your feet than abrasive rich awl grip.

The faux teak replacements are likely 10 - 20 time more expensive than awl grip.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 13:09   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Take a look at Seadek
SeaDek Marine Products - Swim Platform Pads
Old 31-12-2016, 14:05   #5

Boat: Dehler 39 CWS

Thank you for the advice. All these 3 options seem interesting (Treadmaster, Dek King and SeaDek). I will probably ask for a quote from these places and if they are not too expensive then go for it.

In case it is 10-20 times more expensive than non-skid paint, then I will most probably have to choose the latter.

As for close-up photos - there's one Dehler 36 CWS that looks to be restored:
systik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 14:14   #6

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
We'll need higher resoultion, close up shots in order to say with certainty what that material is. But if you want a glue down material, look at Treadmaster. The sort with the large diamond grip pattern.

For paint on non-skid, silica sand & 1-part poly paint works well. Get sand that's been "sorted" so that you know there's no iron content in it, as if there's any trace iron your decks may bleed rust. But with silica sand I've not had that issue. And it's cheap, & simple to use.
That's what I've been using, except spread the silica sand on fresh epoxy and painted over with 2-part poly.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 17:40   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I put on the Ocean master non skid with the premixed rubber chips.
very easy to apply then over coated with Alexseal topcoat

http://www.oceanmasterpaints.com/pro...kidguard.html#
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 23:02   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I would really recommend a self adhesive foam like Raptor Deck - Performance Foam Deck Grip Kits . You can do I think yourself, but raptor will work from your templates, cut everything out, and keep the files on hand in case you ever need a replacement. This stuff is awesome non-skid, doesn't get hot, deadens sound, and a 4'x8' sheet is about $65. I installed it last year on my cat, and am never going back to silica.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 00:36   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Stumble, I think Raptor Foam was on Stargazer when I first bought her in 2004.

Really attractive and very durable, but the grey was hot on the bare feet in the tropics and the high profile made her more difficult to wash.

It was great stuff but I disliked the gloss strips in the pattern, which had me slipping a few times.

Replaced it, but often regretted that decisionClick image for larger version

Name:	1483259735660.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	138774Click image for larger version

Name:	1483259761990.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	138775
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:20   #10

You are correct with looking at Kiwi Grip. Much more durable than paint, easy to touch up and it lasts for years. The price also makes it a good option.
hhmsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:04   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Pelagic,

It wasn't Raptor Deck, they weren't in business that long ago, but I think isn't like they have a proprietary foam, it's just cross linked RVA foam sheets witha an adhesive backer. I suggested Raptor because they have the best customer service, but Hydroturff is another option, from Raptor you send a template, they generate a cut file then cut it to match the pattern. For Hydroturff you buy sheets and cut your own.

I you do go this route I would suggest getting a non-textured pad. It has almost as much grip, but is far more comfortable to sit on. I use a light grey and haven't noticed any heat issues at all, but I guess the darker colors could lead to issues.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:25   #12

Boat: Creekmore 34

I'm thinking of going with Kiwi Grip too on my project.
I always thought treadmaster was way too aggressive, good grip but scraps the skin of the knees etc.
Also I agree even the lightest tint of gray or beige makes the deck much hotter here in The south, so watch that if You like bare feet. White is better, and sunglasses take care of the glare issues
...My 2 cents worth [emoji41]
riggear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:26   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A common sense tip on decking is that you needn't use the same system or coating for the whole deck. Rather you can use something inexpensive, & simple, like a paint on system for most of the boat, & put Treadmaster in areas where you want something a bit softer/that protects things from impact. For example you can put a piece of Treadmaster surrounding a large deck mounted block such as are used for spinnaker guys. Thus if the block isn't of the standup type, the Treadmaster keeps it from beating up the deck, & the block itself.

The reverse is also true. Such as leaving the first 5' of the deck by the bow painted smooth, & then adding alternating 1" wide strips of teak or skateboard tape with 1" gaps between them. Thus making it easier to scrrub or hose down the foredeck when it gets all muddy from handling ground tackle.
This also makes it easy to renew the nonskid in areas of higher wear without having to redo the entire deck. A trick that also comes in handy if you have to do some deck (core) repair, but tend to put it off as it'll mean also needing to redo the boat's nonskid. In which instance you might then do the repair, & then add a stylishly shaped pad of Treadmaster or Teak to that section of the deck on both sides.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 13:05   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Artificial teak, professionally installed (unless you are a very skilled craftsman) will easily be more than 10 times the cost of a DIY nonskid paint. I do everything I can to advise customers on the best solution.

Kiwi Grip is likely the easiest solution that racers commonly use. I don't personallly care for it due to difficulty to achieve uniformity in appearance, and difficulty to keep clean.

If these attributes are important and a random texture is acceptable I usually recommend a flattened paint with a polymer beads. (2 pack with beads or
Interlux Interdeck for a ready to use solution.)

If uniform texture is desired, then I recommend gelcoat with a nonskid negative mould, or a positive polymer nonskid sheet application.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 13:16   #15

There are many options, and those mentioned. Kiwi grip is on the easy side, it seems to just be a latex paint of sorts.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck