Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 06:00   #16

Re: Using the black tank for storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Really, Ain't it spring in Texas ? Go sailing, have you had that boat a whole year yet ?

Haven't even had it a full three months yet! Bought it on March 4th.

We're going to buy a Honda inverter generator for weekend cruises, and I was going to buy a portable A/C unit because it was cheapest and easiest.

But before I did that I want to explore all options.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 07:11   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Haven't even had it a full three months yet! Bought it on March 4th.

We're going to buy a Honda inverter generator for weekend cruises, and I was going to buy a portable A/C unit because it was cheapest and easiest.

But before I did that I want to explore all options.
What you're planning to do is foolish on a practical level. Please stop searching the internet for solutions to problems which don't exist. Take your boat sailing the forward motion of the boat over the water will provide all the A/C you'll need.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 07:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
What you're planning to do is foolish on a practical level. Please stop searching the internet for solutions to problems which don't exist. Take your boat sailing the forward motion of the boat over the water will provide all the A/C you'll need.
Well, its not the forward motion I'm worried about.

I can see that all of my questions are bothering you, so please feel free to overlook them if you need to.

However, I have a partner who wont sail with me unless it's comfortable. And if we plan on spending the night on the hook anywhere with our mariners group, any time soon, I'll have to be able to make the interior cool and comfortable, otherwise we (meaning I) wont be able to enjoy the boat to its fullest potential.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 08:07   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A Honda and a 5,000 BTU window unit in the companionway will keep it cool, and the Honda can run it.
Local Lowe's has a 5,000 BTU window unit AC for $129.00, the Honda will cost you about $1,000.
A built in 6,000 BTU Webasto marine AC with its install kit is about $2,000, plus of course the work to install and it needs a thru-hull of course.

I understand, where you and I are, a weekend on the boat without Air conditioning in Summer is possible, but miserable, she won't be back.
In truth the boat is so small, you had better have other things planned that she likes, or she may not be back (my opinion)
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 08:58   #20

Boat: Catalina 320

You can sleep on a 27' boat with portable generator and air conditioner running while surrounded by other boats doing the same ? That sounds like it must be a small but dedicated club.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 09:06   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

In July and August in the Gulf, you have a few choices.
1. sleep at a Hotel, home, friends house etc
2. Air condition the boat and sleep on it
3. Tough it out, by tough I mean it will get down to the mid 80's maybe early in the morning with the humidity at 100% Some don't mind sleeping in a pool of sweat, a few have become acclimated to the temps, I mean there was life down South before AC, but most of us that work during the day in air conditioned buildings and live in air conditioned houses, are not acclimated to it.
If you want "her" to enjoy it, you have to make it enjoyable, not miserable. Not all of us are blessed with Wives and Girlfriends that love sailing so much that they are willing to sleep in a pool of sweat
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:41   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Well, its not the forward motion I'm worried about.

I can see that all of my questions are bothering you, so please feel free to overlook them if you need to.

However, I have a partner who wont sail with me unless it's comfortable. And if we plan on spending the night on the hook anywhere with our mariners group, any time soon, I'll have to be able to make the interior cool and comfortable, otherwise we (meaning I) wont be able to enjoy the boat to its fullest potential.
Suit youself, I'm just trying to be helpful and save you some money and aggravation.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage