Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2018, 03:28   #16

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: Use Gasket sealant on new gaskets?

Thanks for the replies. Tomorrow I will take off the pump a proceed. Talked to the supplier and he said if the gasket is still flexible, don’t use a sealer.
I have a Volvo MD2040. The gasket was purchase last year. Only oil is dripping out, absolutely no water.
The gasket is located between the pump and timing housing. Should be easy to unbolt, CLEAN all surfaces and reassemble. Will let you know later. Thanks
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 18:05   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
^^ and it smells nice too
You really need to give up that glue sniffing
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 18:46   #18

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Since it was a seawater pump, you need to ensure that both metal surfaces are smooth and have no corrosion on the face. Best method is a thick piece of glass to sand the faces smooth with 200 and 400 paper. Then use a thin coating of RTV gasket sealant
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 18:53   #19

Everyone, but a few, keep saying "I like" or "I do." Following these people will get you into trouble. Just do what the manufacturer recommends. They recommend it for a reason.
GaryBode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 00:03   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBode View Post
Everyone, but a few, keep saying "I like" or "I do." Following these people will get you into trouble. Just do what the manufacturer recommends. They recommend it for a reason.
Haha...
Clearly you haven't worked on older engines where should the manufacturer even actually recommend a product, more often than not, the product has long been discontinued.

And then there are the instances where if there is wear or corrosion, the manufacturers manual says - replace the part. Pretty hard to do when the parts are no longer available.

You approach is fine for when parts are available, money is no object and where mechanics aren't trained in fixing stuff, just replacing stuff.

Now I am not a trained mechanic but holey moley, I had to repair enough engines / mechanical items where the supposedly trained guys have stuffed it up. A boater needs to know how to fix things and listening to what others do regarding gaskets is a good start; just part of seamanship - IMHO of course.

YMMV
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 04:58   #21

Boat: Domp 8.60

In principle I use the factory new gaskets as a gasket can only be compressed once if a joint proves to be difficult it might help to put some sort of sealant on it but ask yourself why? Ask for advice at workshops who deal with this item on day to day basis.
In an emergency you can try and use the old gasket with sealant but there will be no guarantees it will work. just my two cents ;-)
Milko Berben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 05:14   #22

Who said anything about parts not being available?
GaryBode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 05:36   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

weetabix box and grease for me LOL
Old 14-10-2018, 08:11   #24

The manufacturer might have been some young engineer just out of school with zero practical experience joining mechanical assemblies in a marine environment.

For example bolt torques specs are always listed for dry. I would not reassemble anything without anti seize but the torque reduction is never specified. Anti seize doesn't exist as far as manufacturer is concerned. They're not the ones who remove the rusted water pump.

I keep red RTV and aviation form a gasket handy.
timeout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 08:29   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You guys that use the Aviation form a gasket, what do you use to clean it off of a part that you remove later?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 10:16   #26

Boat: Seafarer36c

If installed properly, some paper gaskets can be used over and over. The oil screen or magneto gaskets on some aircraft engines can be used many times for example. In this case, grease is the ticket for long life. I like a wax based grease, it feels better and smells good too.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 08:26   #27

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Using grease on paper gaskets usually allows you to use them again. It depends on how smooth the surface is. Gasket materials that compress are usually found on less than perfect mating surfaces. A sealer is a little like insurance against leaks, not really necessary.
I've assembled a lot of engines. From radial to diesel. Sometimes with only the gasket and sometimes with only a silicone sealer on racing engines that are disassembled often.
The sealer I use most often is Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket. It has a brush applicator and is good for holding a gasket in place while lining everything up. Usually I grease the other side.
+1 on the Aviation product. Let it set up a bit before installing. Also works well on threaded fittings where you just can't seem to get a seal. Impervious to most stuff on boats.
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 18:47   #28

Old school was thin film of grease to seat the gasket and whistle clean surfaces to start. I never found any reason to change
rbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 18:48   #29

Have care with close coupled water pumps. If your leak is water it could be from the pump seal and is deliberate so that when a seal allows some water past it flows from the housing and not into the interior of the engine.
davitosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:52   #30

On my exhaust gaskets, that connect the exhaust manifold to the rest of the wet exhaust system, the gasket manufacturer which is Osco, included a pink slip of paper saying "gaskets should be installed dry, do not use any gasket sealer, silicone, or other compounds".
seatotaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, sealant