Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 12:11   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Three-Strand Line

With traditional styled boats I like the look of the 3 strand line. I have it in mind that I am going to redo all my running rigging this way, all one color, no colored indiactor stripes, etc. I am familiar with some of the concerns like stretch, slippage on winches. etc. however it just looks right on my vessel. Also there are some benefits that are appealing, lower costs and much easier to splice.

I would love to hear from CF members who use 3 strand line for running rigging and how they have found this type of line for use, any noticable disadvantages, etc. Also if you know what brand you prefer, Yale, Samson, New England Ropes.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Three Strand Line

Do you want to sail? Or create appearances? Make a style statement?

Three-strand stiffens with use, twists, stretches. It is not really suitable for running rigging which is -- not surprisingly -- why one never sees it used for running rigging. I don't even use it for anchor rode. If you want the "traditional look", get some hemp-colored double-braided line.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:43   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

some ofmy lines are 3 strand-- there is a lot more stretch in them than in the yacht braid line, but also less snap factor.
i prefer to use the 3 strand for dockand mooring and anchor lines where the stretch is appreciated. my topping lifts, both masts, are 3 strand--is fine, but after a while, i bang my head on my mizzen boom and need to redo them.

if your 3 strand stiffens, wash it-- comes unstiff with soap and fresh water nicely.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:46   #4

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Three strand nylon also chafes nicely - as running rigging you can look forward to several trips to the top of the mast to run in new halyards...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:56   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I'm afraid I have to agree with everyone else. I use 3 strand for dock lines and anchor rode primarily because it does stretch. Well, actually I only use it for my secondary anchor rode because my primary is chain, but I do use 1/2 in 3 strand as a snubber on the chain. This gives me a shock absorber for the chain.

Granted, it is a bit easier to splice than double braid but with a bit of practice it's not too bad. I've found the Brian Toss videos to be very useful since he shows little tricks of the trade. All my running rigging is double braid and I try to splice whenever possible as opposed to knots, both for the strength and for the "nautical" look.

I guess in short.... if you want stretch, use 3 strand otherwise use something else.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:56   #6

Boat: Gaff Schooner 45' - Talisman of Fambridge

Hi Cburger,

We have a combination of 3 strand for halyards, topping lifts, lazyjacks and downhauls.

Sheets are braid on braid.

Using good (ish) quality polyester 3 strand there is not so much stretch that the gaff rig cant cope with it.

Halyards just need to be sweated up every now and again.

I have not noticed any extra chafe over the older braid on braid, it is nicer to handle and easier to work with.

All of our ropes are by Liros or Marlow, we are in Great Britain
The Vessel is a Gaff Stay Sl' Schooner.

Simes
Old 09-10-2011, 13:23   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I use 3 strand for dock lines and anchor rode primarily because it does stretch. . . [and] as a snubber on the chain. This gives me a shock absorber for the chain.
Next time you replace a three-strand anchor rode, dock line, or snubber -- try nylon octoplait instead of three strand. You can mail me a beer afterwards!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 13:42   #8

Talking Re: Three Strand Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simes View Post
Hi Cburger,

We have a combination of 3 strand for halyards, topping lifts, lazyjacks and downhauls.

Sheets are braid on braid.

Using good (ish) quality polyester 3 strand there is not so much stretch that the gaff rig cant cope with it.

Halyards just need to be sweated up every now and again.

I have not noticed any extra chafe over the older braid on braid, it is nicer to handle and easier to work with.

All of our ropes are by Liros or Marlow, we are in Great Britain
The Vessel is a Gaff Stay Sl' Schooner.

Simes
Simes, Thank you for answering the question, my prior boat was a Cornish Crabber gaff rigged British built vessel. I have actually been considering English Braids brand three strand that replicates traditional manilla, when I saw the cost had a change of mind.

I have never heard the term "Sweating up halyards" before must be a term that gets lost in transalation.
Old 09-10-2011, 14:40   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

On our W32, had Marlowe low stretch dacron halyards. At the time, it was the lowest stretch line you could buy. Worked okay for halyards but stiffened up with time and prone to hackles if we weren't careful. You can still get 3 strand dacron line but why?? Double braid won't hackle, coils easier, stays supple, probably lower stretch and so much easier on the hands.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 14:58   #10

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Simes, Thank you for answering the question, my prior boat was a Cornish Crabber gaff rigged British built vessel. I have actually been considering English Braids brand three strand that replicates traditional manilla, when I saw the cost had a change of mind.

I have never heard the term "Sweating up halyards" before must be a term that gets lost in transalation.
My friendship sloop used all 3-lay.

As an aside--love those Cornish Crabbers. Was in Padstowe, on the Cornwall coast two weeks back. Saw the Saturday racing fleet of Crabbers on the estuary dodging sandbars.
Will try to get a sail when I go back in the spring.
Old 09-10-2011, 15:10   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

just fyi . . . new england ropes have a whole line of 'traditional looking' sailing lines. That includes 3 different kinds of low stretch 3 strand polyester lines.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 15:14   #12

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
If you don't have a halyard winch you haul the sail up as far as you can, the take a turn around the cleat and pull the halyard perpendicular to the mast. That applies more tension to the halyard than you can apply directly. Quickly ease the wraps on the cleat and take up the slack. By repeating this procedure a couple of times you can get the halyard tighter than you could hope to do by pulling on it directly. That's what's meant by sweating up a line.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 15:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
just fyi . . . new england ropes have a whole line of 'traditional looking' sailing lines. That includes 3 different kinds of low stretch 3 strand polyester lines.
Thank you, was happy to see this. I like their products and will give a call to see if they will mail a sample.
Old 09-10-2011, 15:33   #14

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

First off, how traditional can you look with winches?
Sweating, or swigging a line is done by first holding the bitter end of the line in one hand after a half wrap around a cleat, pulling the line sideways above (or in front of) the cleat with the second, then quickly pulling the slack out with the first hand while releasing with the second.

A traditional way to tension a line that works especially well with a non traditional rope clutch.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 15:51   #15

I believe Lin Pardey piped in on a reefing post saying they use it. Having a little stretch can be forgiving on the boat I imagine. Still, I would likely go with cheap poly/dacron type, but forego the fancy types.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote