Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 15:08   #16

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: The amazing expanding jerry jug

I always wondered why the "Safe Fill Level" was significantly below the top of the fuel tank. . . . turns out that gasoline does expand as a liquid as it warms. The vapor pressure increases, too, and most people think that's all you need to worry about. But the expanding liquid will exert much more force if not given enough "padding" above it. If you filled the tank clear to the top and closed the cap tight and left it in the sun, it could burst the seams of the tank.

So, long story short . . . don't worry about expansion if the fuel level is below the safe fill level.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 15:13   #17

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

I ise the real 5 gallon mil-spec metal jerry cans, Last a whole lot longer, don't swell and crack.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 15:30   #18

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

If you do leave them vented, that gas that causes it to expand will cause massive evaporation.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 16:58   #19

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker

I've decided to go with a couple of these, properly attached to the aft rails, after welding on some feet and a handle. Lots of different sizes avail
Dune Buggy Spun-Aluminum Fuel Tank 8"x30" 6 Gallon - eBay (item 310298132982 end time Mar-23-11 13:13:52 PDT)
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 17:02   #20

Boat: Able 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I prefer the Scepter. They strap up to the rail a lot better and most of the nozzle is hidden away.
They can be ordered through W. Marine.

I had a set of those and over 6 months the nozzle snapped off every one. In California that style is all you can buy. The nozzle pictured in post 14 is the one to get . . . . if you can.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 17:56   #21

This thread has really pushed my buttons.

The requirement for the new cans are total B.S. and comes from somebody’s posterior region. Two years ago I delivered a boat that held 45 gal. in her belly from Fl. to St. Vincent and it took longer to find usable cans for extra fuel than make the delivery. I wanted the old style that was easy to pour; you know the one’s, put the spout in the fill, open the vent and presto 6 gal. fuel goes down the pipe. No mess No pollution.

Forward to last years delivery, no more reasonable cans available and ended up with “delmarry”’s favorite.

Even with great care in a 6’ swell, 30 kt. wind we probably lost 5% while we trying to get HAPPY with the new eco friendly design. Doesn’t sound so friendly to me.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote