Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2003, 10:22   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Question Stuffing box replacements

Has anyone had any experiance with the P.S.S. (Packless Sealing System) shaft seals?
I've replaced many of these PSS on pumps but I'm wonder if anyone here has used them on ocean going vessels. How long do they last?
If one were to start leaking, you just can't tighten up the nuts. But what's the worst that can happen? The rubber boot could fail but so could the hose on a stuffing box.
The only downfall I see to the PSS is you would have to remove the shaft from the transmission coupler to replace a seal. Where as the stuffing box you would have to dig out the old packing and replace it. Either way, I would prefer to do on the hard.
The PSS seem to average around 6" long which is fine on my vessel but others may not have the room.
Whatca think?

http://www.pyiinc.com/index.php?sect...tion=main&sn=1
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 07:11   #2

Haven't used PSS, but...

I've used both the teflon and the Gore-tex packing. On my 30-ft boat, the teflon worked well. No drips and held up for a couple hundred hrs before I sold the boat.

I installed the Gore-tex on my 44-ft boat and have been happy with it as well, especially since it cost $12. It runs warm but dosen't drip. I can't see spending big $$$ to replace something that is proven and safe. Try the newest packing in your old system first.
Old 10-09-2003, 13:12   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I agree, don't go high-tech if low cost will do...

Had the usual dripping and stinky salt water in the bilge as a result of the old type of packing.
(CSY 33, 1 1/8" shaft)

Installed the stuff that is called "Virtual Dripless Packing".
At first I had a hard time adjusting it right: Tight enough to stop the drips and it ran hot, loose enough to run cool, and uh, it would drip...

Got the brilliant idea of smearing some teflon paste on the packing rings, and sure as hell, now I could adjust it to run cool as ice, AND no drips whatsover....That was 2 years and 400 hours of running time ago....Have not touched the thing since, still cool and still no drips.

Total price for the whole job was under $20.00 and I still have enough teflon paste left for a lifetime and spare packing.....

Best deal in town.....
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacements