Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 11:01   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Started Our Rebuild / Refit - Need Help!

Hello all, Finally got our boat to its resting place for the next few months getting her ready for Baja-ha-ha. We have currently gutted the boat and we are starting from new, I have a series of questions.

1. Replacing the engine with a beta marine 16hp over the older yanmar 2gm 13hp. what can I get for the older used yanmar that runs great and has good compression?

2. I am getting a 70amp alternator with the beta, All i need is to run our all LED lighting, we will have a windless and I will have to charge my camera batteries. Can I get away with just a wind generator or do I need Solar also. Is there a good app for daily power consumption so I could get a good feel for that.

3. What is the best way to obtain or make marine plywood. we are replacing the floors and need a good replacement. Do you have to buy marine ply or can you just get penetrating epoxy for normal outdoor plywood and coat it.

4. Does anyone know where to obtain finished fiberglass sheets. We are closing all the port areas in the doghouse and will cut out for new opening stainless steel ports.

here are some photos of the boat and the build.
thanks,

Jon

Jon Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:10   #2

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
I would guess $1500 on the Yanmar. That's about what they go for around here on Craigslist.

Marine ply is different than regular plywood. Regular plywood usually has 5 to 7 layers whereas marine ply will have 11 or 12. It is also made with no voids in the wood. If you cut regular ply and look at the edge, you'll probably see areas where there are holes because a layer is missing. This is bad because it lets moisture get inside the board. Check the Internet for a source. Usually the hardware stores and lumber yards near marina areas carry it as do specialty hardwood outlets.

To make fiberglass panels, cut a thin 1/8" plywood panel to the size you want, then glass over it.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
... Marine ply is different than regular plywood...
Check out:
Voluntary Product Standard PS 1-95 Construction And Industrial Plywood
or
British Standard BNS1088 (Marine Plywood).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 13:40   #4

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
At least on this coast, Home Depot stocks 4'x8' sheets of fiberglass material. About 1/16" thick. Glossy, pebbled surface on one side, matte on the other. You can have the glossy side in any color you want, as long it's white. Look for it in with the regular paneling. I used it on my boat recently inside the cabin, along with replacing ports.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 16:28   #5

Thanks for the heads up about home depot, I will ask. I called a few lumber places today and I am looking at about $100 a sheet for HydroTeak ply. Any suggestions about the solar/wind/alternator?
Thanks for the help so far!
Jon~Tara
Old 09-07-2010, 16:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hendry View Post
At least on this coast, Home Depot stocks 4'x8' sheets of fiberglass material. About 1/16" thick. Glossy, pebbled surface on one side, matte on the other. You can have the glossy side in any color you want, as long it's white. Look for it in with the regular paneling. I used it on my boat recently inside the cabin, along with replacing ports.
Looked into them, they said not for exterior use, have you used them for such purpose?
Stabilit .090 In. FRP Wall Panel 4 Ft. x 8 Ft. - White - MFTF12IXA480009600 at The Home Depot
Old 09-07-2010, 16:40   #7
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hm. For most of our stuff that would normally require ply, we used plastic. Prtly for durability (it won't peel, as ply eventually will) but mainly due to non-availability!!! We have made the floorboards, quite a few panels, drawer units and cupboards out of it so far. I like it.

It kinda looks like giant chopping board, before we put the (ash) veneer over it.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 17:29   #8

where do you buy the plastic?

Jon
Old 09-07-2010, 17:36   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
"A" bond ply?

I've used "Ecoply" for the inside of Boracay. It's an "A" bond plantation pine ply, available cut to size from my local megahardware store.

I find it cuts, finishes and glues easily.

I prime with generic 5:1 epoxy thinned up to 30% depending on how steady my hand is and fill any holes in critical areas with epoxy putty (resin thickened with cotton fibres). Dress surfaces are finished with two coats of single pack polurethane varnish.

For the soles and other areas that take some sort of load I've been using 12mm. Unstressed panels and lining use 7mm. For additional stiffening I use 19x42 pine battens.

There's a new (to me) polyurethane glue that foams and fills gaps well that I've switched to recently. It's easy to use and the same price as PVA.

A nice sheet of 1200x2400 12mm marine ply is running close to $200 now, Ecoply is less than a quarter of that.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 18:21   #10

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
I am in the finishing stages of my refit/rebuild. For plywood I have used Baltic Birch, it is available from any Hardwood supplier in CA or google it you will find tons of it. A 1/2" 4x8 12 plys a sheet sells for about $40. For you sheets to fill in your old port lights you can purchase G10 FRP panels in different thickness's but it is pricey. You can make your own panels, by covering a flat sheet of most any material with a plastic sheet, resin will not stick to the plastic. 4 or 5 layers of cloth and epoxy resin should give you the strength you require. I purchase some resin materials (mostly thickening agents) from these guys. Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc. Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 19:24   #11

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
Only used the panels from Home Depot on the interior of cabin. I was lucky in that the new ports required a slight larger cut out than the old, so I didn't have to close over and start from new.

If picture attached, shows panel in place before trimming. Used WEST 610 to bond panel to plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-04-19 19.26.58.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	17687  
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 19:49   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Marine ply also uses waterproof glues. So it is a combination of additional ply, water proof glue and less voids.

regards,
Old 09-07-2010, 19:58   #13

Solar is probably better in sunny Mexico. Winds are light. Depends what you have room for. No refrigeration? You rock! A small house battery and maybe 50w solar panel will be just fine. You'll run the engine while using the windlass, normally.

For plywood stick to specialty wood dealers. There is NOTHING for a proper yacht at Home Depot. Not even garden hoses. For interior stuff I use Okuma furniture grade ply, 6mm or 10mm. It's beautiful enough. Strong and solid. Get it from a Watsonville supplier. You probably have a dealer nearby, too. Custom cabinet shops would tell you where to get it. It can be varnished or epoxied. The specs for marine ply are for building hulls and such. Okuma is plenty waterproof.

You have much work to do. The HaHa is worth it. You'll love the Beta engine.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 15:13   #14

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
You can get marine teak and holly plywood for your floor at Handloggers in Richmond (at least I did a year or so ago). Though it might have been overkill I doused it in penetrating epoxy (from Smiths in Richmond) before I put it down and finished it.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 16:59   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
2. I am getting a 70amp alternator with the beta, All i need is to run our all LED lighting, we will have a windless and I will have to charge my camera batteries. Can I get away with just a wind generator or do I need Solar also. Is there a good app for daily power consumption so I could get a good feel for that.
If you already have a wind generator, it will probably suffice for your needs. If not, you may find that solar is better for Baja. Of course, if you're planning to return to either Monterey or SF Bay, a wind generator might make more sense. Except maybe if you keep the boat in the Delta.

With all LED lights and no reefer, I can't see you ever needing more than what a 90 watt wind generator or an 80 watt solar panel will supply.

Tags
rebuild, refit