Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 08:48   #1

Boat: Shannon 43'
Stainless Hose Clamps Quality

Several years ago someone recommended McMaster-Carr as a source of quality hose clamps. However, McMaster-Carr will not provide the brand of these clamps. Does anyone know the brand? It seems that Ideal and AWAB are the ones most often recommended, and I want to be sure that they are still selling high quality clamps. Has anyone else been using these?
SaltyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:55   #2

Boat: Catamaran - Eventually
Re: Stainless Hose Clamps Quality

Go to this website, for Ideal hose clamps and order straight from the source. Looks like they sell 10 to a box as a minimum order.

IDEAL DIVISION | HOSE CLAMP Stainless Steel 5" 7" | 63104 from the ShipStore.com ™ on-line catalog.

I have no business with this company, just poked around the internet for the answer, found it using a Bing search.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

How to find ABA (AWAB) Marine hose clamps at McMaster-Carr's website:
ABA marine - Made from 316 Stainless steel
Attached Images

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:04   #4

For connections under WL I would not use anything other that marine grade SS (316), smooth inside (less damage to the hose from clamping), but that's just me. If they do not tell you the grade, assume it is not 316.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:19   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooSailor View Post
For connections under WL I would not use anything other that marine grade SS (316) [including screw], smooth inside (less damage to the hose from clamping), but that's just me. If they do not tell you the grade, assume it is not 316.
Indeed!

Old 02-05-2011, 20:22   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Triton makes a good 316, but I too prefer the "smooth band and corrugated screw run" of the ABA/AWAB types.

A hint: When using two (and you should always use two below the waterline and in any pressurized situation in my view), torque them finger tight and then rotate them so that the screw bolts are opposed 180 degrees AND that you can reach them without using exotic tools and harem techniques.

I also give every engine bay hose clamp a quarter turn each spring commissioning just because I sleep better at night and while awake and underway. I have seen three boats in ten years at my club take on water at dock because of loose, single clamps at the head and the engine water intakes.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 20:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

You can also get the AWAB clamps at Defender Industries.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 20:37   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I agree with double clamping. I have seen marine grade 316 hose clamps go active and start oxidizing like crazy.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Double hose clamps are recommended, or required, on all below-the-waterline hose connections.
This raises one of my pet peeves - short hose barbs!
However, if the connection is watertight, with a good-quality clamp, a second clamp adds little security.
I’ve seen many installations where the letter of the law has been met, with two clamps over a fitting that has room (length) for only one; the result is that the second clamp damages the hose or barb.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:36   #10

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Triton makes a good 316, but I too prefer the "smooth band and corrugated screw run" of the ABA/AWAB types.

A hint: When using two (and you should always use two below the waterline and in any pressurized situation in my view), torque them finger tight and then rotate them so that the screw bolts are opposed 180 degrees AND that you can reach them without using exotic tools and harem techniques.

I also give every engine bay hose clamp a quarter turn each spring commissioning just because I sleep better at night and while awake and underway. I have seen three boats in ten years at my club take on water at dock because of loose, single clamps at the head and the engine water intakes.
I have always used these higher quality clamps with softer rolled edges and screw "indentions" rather than "slots". They do indeed last indefinably.

One exception to the double clamp practice, is if the hose barb is not long enough for BOTH clamps to fall 100% ON the barb. IE... (the 1" long raw water pump hose barb, on a Yanmar engine) IF the second hose clamp is half way off of the barb, it has the opposite of the desired effect!

Otherwise, where double clamping IS appropriate, have the screws on opposite sides of the hose. This puts the "hard spots" opposing each other.

Also... DON'T over tighten. It is easy to crush the hose, causing future cuts at the clamp.

M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Double hose clamps are recommended, or required, on all below-the-waterline hose connections.
This raises one of my pet peeves - short hose barbs!
However, if the connection is watertight, with a good-quality clamp, a second clamp adds little security.
I’ve seen many installations where the letter of the law has been met, with two clamps over a fitting that has room (length) for only one; the result is that the second clamp damages the hose or barb.
OK, I didn't really think that I had to add "and make sure the barb/nipple isn't the size of a baby's tadger", but I suppose not everyone has that knowledge.

There's a couple of spots on my older boat's Atomic 4 engine where I would very much prefer double clamps, but without purchasing longer barbs and likely a few 90 degree elbows to offset the hose, it isn't going to work and I will just crush unsupported hose, a sort of imposed aortic dissection.

So I just use the one clamp but make sure I shine a strong light on it for signs of weeping or corrosion. The comment that 316 can go bad is a good one...it's not common or seemingly predictable, but I've seen it a couple of times where galvanic corrosion could not have been the issue.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
One exception to the double clamp practice, is if the hose barb is not long enough for BOTH clamps to fall 100% ON the barb. IE... (the 1" long raw water pump hose barb, on a Yanmar engine) IF the second hose clamp is half way off of the barb, it has the opposite of the desired effect!
True, and your comment makes me think of the old "wire clamps" that basically gripped by spring tension. They are still found on some engines...does anyone use them (they are a lot narrower than hose clamps) or recommend them for certain jobs?

Old 13-05-2011, 10:59   #13

"I’ve seen many installations where the letter of the law has been met, with two clamps over a fitting that has room (length) for only one; the result is that the second clamp damages the hose or barb."
Yep, surveyors want to see double clamps, barbs are not long enough to accomodate them most of the time, they get put on anyway to pass the survey.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 12:48   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Does the American Boat and Yacht Council actually require double hose clamps (except on Exhaust Hose, ABYC P-1)?
Hose Clamps, Surveyors, and the ABYC | Boats.com Blog

For obvious reasons, “Spring Tension” clamps aren’t approved by ABYC.