Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 16:43   #1

Soundproofing Engine Compartment

Am pulling out old engine and want to take opportunity to upgrade the soundproofing. Was using foam/foil sheeting from chandlers (fairly poor results). We are doing the repowering in Kudat, Malaysia where there are no chandlers, so am looking for a do-it-yourself solution.Have heard differing reports about closed cell foam - from excellent to useless as soundproofing. Any recommendations? Has anyone done this themselves recently, without throwing vast sums of money at the problem?
jesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 16:58   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Hi Jesson
I did a bit of work on my boat. U used a foam that I purchased in the UK that does not have a lead layer in it. It does what it says on the tin, which is attenuate. It has a reflective tin layer that helps keep the heat in the engine room as well.
In my application it was not a full refit, just a patch up job and the result is not perfect, but I think it is more to do with the holes in the seals and corners than with the material in itself. In any case, it is significantly quiter than before. I just looked at a bit of leftover to see the brand but I can't find it. I think you may find this stuff either in Phuket or Singapore, but usually they are better at shipping in the UK or USA. Hope it helps.

Tags
engine