Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 15:39   #1

Boat: Moody 425
SMEV gas stove

Hi
I am currently a month into a circumnavigation of Australia and for some time now the grill on the stove fails to remain alight once the igniter is released. I have tried cleaning the thermocouple, moving it closer to the flame and cleaning the gas jets but to no avail. I am thinking one of the wires has become dislodged or corroded. Does anyone have any other suggestions or info on how to get to the wires for the grill?

Thanks
Blue Reef Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 15:54   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: SMEV gas stove

I have decided SMEV stoves are not much better than 'caravan quality'.

My first one ( 4 burner) lasted 19 years before I decided to replace it.
The present 3 burner one has had the grill issue since I bought it about a year ago and having only done 5000 offshore miles the gimbal arrangement has gone just about terminal despite being 'locked' all the time.
Currently out and being rebuilt with rivets in place of screws.

You are aware that if left free to swing and you take a heavy roll the handle on the oven door can smack that 'towel rail' and that the oven door glass will shatter into a 1000 pieces? I used to keep the old one fixed in place with a set of visegrips.....

Why did I buy another? Fitted in same hole and was cheap.....