Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 08:52   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Small Glass Job - How To?

What is the best (or second best) way to fix this void?

Can I just fill with Marine-Tex and apply gelcoat (spray or paint)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass Void002.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	9158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass Void003.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	9159  

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:17   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
That looks like a void in the original gelcoat.

Here's what I do for jobs like that. Blue tape over anywhere you don't want to find epoxy after the job. Wear you Nitrile gloves, you'll need them.

Grind(80grit) to remove any dirt or loose bits and get a workable shape. I generally mix epoxy resin with fast cure hardener and West404 filler to a peanut butter consistancy. A light wash of mixed epoxy resin(before adding the 404) first before filling with the mix. I use throw away type paint brushes to get the mix into all the crannies and build it up to above flush. If it's thickened right it's like merangue and will stay where(and the shape) you put it. Final shaping when it sets is best done with a sanding block and progressively finer paper. I use a straight mix of epoxy as a final finish and sand with 400/600 before paint. I use Glidden Porch and Floor(from Home Depot) for most of the repairs on my old boat. It's cheap, holds up very well, and can be tinted to match most any colour and I'm an old commercial fisherman so I don't worry much about the spit and polish crowds opinion of what's "correct".

Take your time and you'll get a good looking job. Prep is the key to ALL repairs.......m
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
That looks like a void in the original gelcoat.

Here's what I do for jobs like that. Blue tape over anywhere you don't want to find epoxy after the job. Wear you Nitrile gloves, you'll need them.

Grind(80grit) to remove any dirt or loose bits and get a workable shape. I generally mix epoxy resin with fast cure hardener and West404 filler to a peanut butter consistancy. A light wash of mixed epoxy resin(before adding the 404) first before filling with the mix. I use throw away type paint brushes to get the mix into all the crannies and build it up to above flush. If it's thickened right it's like merangue and will stay where(and the shape) you put it. Final shaping when it sets is best done with a sanding block and progressively finer paper. I use a straight mix of epoxy as a final finish and sand with 400/600 before paint. I use Glidden Porch and Floor(from Home Depot) for most of the repairs on my old boat. It's cheap, holds up very well, and can be tinted to match most any colour and I'm an old commercial fisherman so I don't worry much about the spit and polish crowds opinion of what's "correct".

Take your time and you'll get a good looking job. Prep is the key to ALL repairs.......m
The gelcoat is OK but it is for sure a void from original. I suspect the glass was not pressed around the tight corners well enough.

Is that Marine Tex the same as West stuff with filler. I have used it before and it is putty like and I think would work well and easily. I also have some on hand. I do want to use some sort of gelcoat afterwards. Spray can? The boat is less than a year old, it is in a highly visible spot in the cockpit and I have a wife.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:14   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I've always heard that GelCoat doesn't stick well to epoxy. I don't know. I've never tried it but that's something to consider. If you have white Marine Tex the patch will appear a bit yellow once cured but some carefully applied paint or spray GelCoat will at least make it appear perfect.
Marine Tex is not the preferred material for this type of patch because of its expense but if you already have it and don't mind, go for it.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:15   #5

P. S. If the boat is that new and it looks like a factory void, won't the company do the job?
JohnL
Old 02-08-2009, 12:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I've always heard that GelCoat doesn't stick well to epoxy. I don't know. I've never tried it but that's something to consider. If you have white Marine Tex the patch will appear a bit yellow once cured but some carefully applied paint or spray GelCoat will at least make it appear perfect.
Marine Tex is not the preferred material for this type of patch because of its expense but if you already have it and don't mind, go for it.
Kind regards,
JohnL
I don't see how that could be since moulds are first sprayed with gelcoat and then glassed with epoxy or some other resin.

But I don't know either.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:21   #7

Quote:
P. S. If the boat is that new and it looks like a factory void, won't the company do the job?
JohnL
They have not responded to a month old "site generated" request nor two other emails. A call on Friday had a company "person" say that warranty is not transferable to subsequent owners.

<edit>
LO AND BEHOLD.
The last email was just now answered.

"Regrettably the original purchase contract makes it clear that the warranty is not transferable when the boat changes hands. We will, of course, be pleased to give as much assistance as we possibly can to help you enjoy your Gemini."

I can tell you right now that when I was asking questions of the broker (a dealer for the brand also) I asked about warranties and all systems etc (like the motor, electronics etc) were covered by the manufacturer and the boat was warranted for a year. Of course I have nothing in writing about that.

Nothing about the other four or five questions in the message but oh well it is a boat after all.
Old 02-08-2009, 13:23   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Gemini needs to work on their reputation, me thinks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
They have not responded to a month old "site generated" request nor two other emails. A call on Friday had a company "person" say that warranty is not transferable to subsequent owners.

<edit>
LO AND BEHOLD.
The last email was just now answered.

"Regrettably the original purchase contract makes it clear that the warranty is not transferable when the boat changes hands. We will, of course, be pleased to give as much assistance as we possibly can to help you enjoy your Gemini."

I can tell you right now that when I was asking questions of the broker (a dealer for the brand also) I asked about warranties and all systems etc (like the motor, electronics etc) were covered by the manufacturer and the boat was warranted for a year. Of course I have nothing in writing about that.

Nothing about the other four or five questions in the message but oh well it is a boat after all.
Good design, but more focus on gadgets and looks than fundamentals, like a good lay-up.

I bought my PDQ a few months after visiting the Gemini factory.
Old 02-08-2009, 13:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Good design, but more focus on gadgets and looks than fundamentals, like a good lay-up.

I bought my PDQ a few months after visiting the Gemini factory.

It is a known "price point" boat.

Few have flipped and fewer have sunk.

All will be OK after I take the time to "mess around" on board a little longer.

I love 6 knots in 10 of wind with the cup sitting wherever I leave it.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2009, 13:49   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Therapy, am I reading correctly that you said the boat is less than one year old?

If so, I'd contact the broker and the maker--cc the same thing to both of them.

Tell them that you have had the misfortune of finding a latent manufacturing defect in the boat that you and your wife have been so happily raving about all year, and invite them to correct it.

If it is a void, and the manufacturer has ANY pride in their name, they will send someoine out to do a professional repair for you, including making it disappear with a little spray matching when the hole has been filled.

Give 'em a chance to be heroes, then let us all know whether to throw bouquets or bricks when they are done.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 15:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Therapy, am I reading correctly that you said the boat is less than one year old?

If so, I'd contact the broker and the maker--cc the same thing to both of them.

Tell them that you have had the misfortune of finding a latent manufacturing defect in the boat that you and your wife have been so happily raving about all year, and invite them to correct it.

If it is a void, and the manufacturer has ANY pride in their name, they will send someoine out to do a professional repair for you, including making it disappear with a little spray matching when the hole has been filled.

Give 'em a chance to be heroes, then let us all know whether to throw bouquets or bricks when they are done.
Post #7 has their quote in it.
Old 02-08-2009, 15:29   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ah, read too quickly and assumed that when you said the boat was less than a year old--that was from new.

You might still want to take a good look at the written warranty that it was sold with, because there may be statutory warranty rights against latent defects (under the Magnusson-Moss Act, the Uniform Commercial Code, a couple of others) that apply to the goods anyway. There's a good web site from the fed someplace about all that, concerning what businesses and consumers need to know about federal mandatory warranty laws. Sometimes, it is cheaper (and better PR) for a company to fix things, than to send a lawyer to small claims court to debate them.

"We will, of course, be pleased to give as much assistance as we possibly can to help you enjoy your Gemini.""
Gee, that sounds like an express written warrantee of assurance that they will give you unlimited help, doesn't it? <VBG>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 16:21   #13

Aloha Therapy,
It's polyester resin that is usually used in a mold and epoxy is a bit different but I think it would be an easy fix with a little bit of spray GelCoat over Marine Tex.
Probably take less time than messing with the Gemini folks although not quite as satisfying as getting someone to stand by their product.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 02-08-2009, 16:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Ah, read too quickly and assumed that when you said the boat was less than a year old--that was from new.

>
It is.
It was spashed in Sept. 08.

I don't think the stress would be worth it. Hence the post.

What is a good spray-on gelcoat? And where from?
Old 02-08-2009, 16:41   #15

Quote:
Aloha Therapy,
It's polyester resin that is usually used in a mold and epoxy is a bit different but I think it would be an easy fix with a little bit of spray GelCoat over Marine Tex.
Probably take less time than messing with the Gemini folks although not quite as satisfying as getting someone to stand by their product.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Great to hear it will probably work, even if I did hear about it on the internet.

Less time and hassel overall.

My last email response to them will likely not be answered.