Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 07:52   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Dodger Repair

The windows on my dodger are so hazed I can barely see thru them. a dodger shop has said they could replace them for $500. The dodger probably only has a couple of mor eyears to go so i thought that that money would be wasted. A new dodger is $about $3k. I am thinking of buying the plastic for the windows and then running some seam tape on them and attaching the new plastic material on with 5200 or Dow Corning 795. I figure I can get the material for about $150 and then during the next two years work up a plan for a hard dodger. Does any one have any thoughts on using an adhesive to stick another layer of plastic on a dodger window?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The dodger probably only has a couple of mor eyears to go so i thought that that money would be wasted.
I would agree. We replaced our dodger and all the cockpit canvas. When the glass looks muddy brown the fabric is probably fragile and the thread is UV damaged. Just taking the dodger apart might finish it. I know it did ours.

Personally, I would not waste any effort on the current dodger. The process of removing the old glass could finish off the dodger. It won't matter if you try it or a shop tries it. A good dodger fit needs to have just a little bit of stretch to it. I seriously doubt even a shop could just replace the glass then come back and actually install it. The odds are they would start to take it apart and give you the phone call saying it's a nightmare. The exception would be if it was made by the really crappy extruded glass that looks wavy when new. Good extruded or pressed poly would hold up as long as the fabric.

If adhesive worked no one would sew You'll end up tossing the whole mess and be with no dodger at all. A dodger is just something you really need. Being able to see though it and have it take a beating is what they do. It may not do either well enough now. Glued on glass sounds like a wasted effort too. The structural part of the dodger is already shot. The dodger project may need to move up in priority.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:27   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Just add another layer of plastic inside the old, sew around it, and cut out the old layer at the edge of the fabic. Its much faster than ripping out the old seams, and the old plastic holds everything in position. Its only a few hour job if you have a decent sewing machine, and looks and performs much better than glued on plastic.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:24   #4

Boat: Nordic 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Just add another layer of plastic inside the old, sew around it, and cut out the old layer at the edge of the fabic.
That sounds like a good idea. We did it the other way - taking out the old plastic first - and it was a bear of a job. The plastic was so far gone pieces were broken out of it so I don't think we could have put new plastic on over the old even if we had thought of it. I wish we had though, it couldn't have been any harder. The big problem was tacking the dodger cloth to the plastic to hold it in place before sewing.
In the end it did work, the plastic is a little more wavy than a professional job, but it is a lot better than not having a dodger.
Sluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:31   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
If you are confident enough to make the repairs, why not go the whole way and make a complete replacement.

Dodger Construction by a Sailrite Customer
Old 03-08-2009, 12:46   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If you are going to make the whole dodger. You already have a great pattern?.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:28   #7

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Have you tried cleaning those windows with a product like PlastX or Plexus? Both work remarkably well for taking the haze and discoloration out of convertible top windows, which I'm guessing are the same material.

Hard plexiglass can also be polished to look new with automotive headlight polish or headlight haze remover. You just need to seal it with a clearcoat afterwards or it will discolor again very quickly.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 17:53   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
Have you tried cleaning those windows with a product like PlastX or Plexus? Both work remarkably well for taking the haze and discoloration out of convertible top windows, which I'm guessing are the same material.

Hard plexiglass can also be polished to look new with automotive headlight polish or headlight haze remover. You just need to seal it with a clearcoat afterwards or it will discolor again very quickly.
I tried with plastX and that didn't work. I am now going to try a silver polish like Brasso. Got nothing to loose. Thanks for the idea.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger