Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2017, 15:58   #1

Boat: Hunter 410 1998
sleeping

I met a young lady that has used air mattress on her boat for the last 19 years does anyone have experience doing this

please the pros and cons
tjandoverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 16:10   #2

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Re: sleeping

Meeting young ladies?
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 16:12   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Yes, I'm thinking many of us with old boats that have 40 year old cushions would be using air mattresses or self inflating pads

This would be more for the group that is into being on the water and actually sailing their boat than the condo boat group hanging at the marinas or anchored in one spot for months

The air mattresses are nice but rather thick. After a few years they tend to leak air so in the middle of the night if waves don't wake you up the flat mattress will

Not being a full time cruiser it's always a crap shot for me to get sleep on the boat.

I'm thinking when I do start to cruise somewhat full time two weeks to a month will cure that.

After several air mattresses I'm now using hiker's gear. (since there are also a few long trails I'd like to hike)

I have two Alps Mountaineering self inflating pads on top of my worn out cushions. I have a 1.5" for the settee and a 2" for the V berth

Pads | ALPS Mountaineering

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/pr...weight-air-pad
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 16:28   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Air mattresses can work, nothing is colder than an air mattress in cold weather, no insulation at all.
However, a Froli under an old mattress, and put a Walmart memory foam topper on top is very, very comfortable. Downside is memory foam is hot in hot weather, biggest reason I went to an inner spring with real latex foam as real latex isn't as hot.

Back in my Army days I had a 3" roll up pad that fit a cot, however self inflating camp rest pads were almost as good and smaller too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 17:21   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Also, many of us ex-military types were issued air mattresses (rubber ladies) along with a tent half to carry on our packs whenever we were going to be out in the boonies for a few days.

It made it much better than simply sleeping on the ground with sleeping bag only especially if it rained and the water got up a bit in your tent
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 17:38   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Air mattresses can work, nothing is colder than an air mattress in cold weather, no insulation at all.
That's news to me, I've spent many a night on an air mattress on top of snow before we had closed cell foam mats.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 18:53   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

One down side is that they don't breath, so there's no where for moisture to go. So if it's hot you wake up in a puddle of sweat. And if it's cold, a puddle of condensation. Okay, maybe puddle is overstating it a bit. But your linens will get soggy in short order. And bedding is difficult enough to keep dry on a boat due to salt air without this hiccup added to it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 19:08   #8

People may have different air mattress views because some air mattresses are air only and some have insulation inside.

On a boat, where you aren't humping the weight on your back, go with Thermarest - Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Trekker Mattress. About $115 on Amazon. Thermarest-style self inflating air pads give you the best of both worlds: comfortable and warm.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 20:58   #9

Boat: It’s old

I sleep on a Thermarest camping mat on my boat. I get a sore back on soft mattresses.
kimtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 21:48   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimtrang View Post
I sleep on a Thermarest camping mat on my boat. I get a sore back on soft mattresses.
I have to pay attention to my back vs. what I'm sleeping on too. And on boats, if the cushion foam is old or soft, sometimes you bottom out when you're asleep & don't realize it. Thus creating localized point loads on your body & back, which means waking up sore. So a good option it to put a backpacking mat underneath of the less than superb boat cushion to prevent this. Thus it acts like a dual density foam mattress, more or less. Though moisture under the mattress can be an issue if you do this.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote