Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 05:30   #1

Boat: Morgan, 30-1
Shopping for a New Rolling Furler

I have a 30' Morgan, when I bought the project boat the mast had been snapped in half which bent up the furler foils in 3 places and bent it in another place. The Furlex type b mk II is impossible to find new foils for so I have to replace it.

My purpose for the boat is a coastal cruiser for my family of 4.

I was interested in the CDI flexible furler and was asking on facebook about it and Alado was recommended to me.

Which one do you recommend?
Do you recommend I look at another system?

I emailed Alado, the owner said "Our systems are all aluminum, lifetime warranted, easy to self install and are truly built for offshore sailing. CDI are light weight, plastic and really only good for lake or onshore sailing."

As always your wisdom and feedback is greatly appreciated.
allanbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 05:54   #2

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Shopping for a New Rolling Furler

Hi. I use and would recommend the UltraFurl. Have had it on the boat for 20 years no problems at all. It is easy to install and also to take apart. I remove it every fall and reinstall in the spring to check the forestay and the swivels. It is made in Canada(Toronto)
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 05:56   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I replaced a Furlex with Harken, and I am VERY happy with the Harken.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 06:05   #4

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Harken is on my CD36 and it's a tank....meaning it'll go through anything and i love it.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 07:46   #5

Boat: Dean 365

I have an Alado on my 36' catamaran and have done quite a bit of ocean sailing with it. It is a simple concept. It was easy to install without taking the mast down. It seems pretty bullet proof and I have no complaints.
Meandercp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 07:54   #6

Boat: Alberg #0

I was going to put a cdi fuller on my 30ft but my rigger recommended the profurl for not much more and it's a far better unit fyi.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 08:16   #7

[QUOTE=allanbranch;2014488]I have a 30' Morgan, when I bought the project boat the mast had been snapped in half which bent up the furler foils in 3 places and bent it in another place. The Furlex type b mk II is impossible to find new foils for so I have to replace it.

I was interested in the CDI flexible furler and was asking on facebook about it and Alado was recommended to me.

I emailed Alado, the owner said "Our systems are all aluminum, lifetime warranted, easy to self install and are truly built for offshore sailing. CDI are light weight, plastic and really only good for lake or onshore sailing."

As always your wisdom and feedback is greatly appreciated.[/QUOT

I sailed from NYS to Australia, most of the way singlehanded. My 37' Cutter was equipped with Profurl and after logging almost 19000 miles had no repairs or issues with them. Easy to furl even in high winds. Recommend getting larger winches if you can.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 08:16   #8

Boat: Shannon 38

I have Harkens on my Genny and Staysail and have been very happy with both of them
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 08:59   #9

Boat: Stevens 47

I have experience with Harken, Furlex and Hood furling systems. They all work pretty well, but Harken is good stuff. However, you can get a pretty good deal on a Hood system through Defender. The Hood factory is in Florida and provides good support, though their manual sucks.

I'd stay away from CDI.

Scott
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 09:13   #10

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I ordered and installed two Alado Furlers on a 44 ft Motor sailer 3 years ago replacing older CDI furlers. It was harder taking down to old ones than installing the new ones. These reefer/furlers are simple, strong and have their own internal halyard which I wanted. No halyard wrap. I had also looked at the flexible CDI, but the warrantee was only 6 years and shipping was a problem. I am very happy with the Alado. Fast and friendly service to Canada from the US distributor. They are shipped from Brazil. The engineering of the foils is most impressive.
Old 13-01-2016, 09:44   #11

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanbranch View Post
I have a 30' Morgan, when I bought the project boat the mast had been snapped in half which bent up the furler foils in 3 places and bent it in another place. The Furlex type b mk II is impossible to find new foils for so I have to replace it.

As always your wisdom and feedback is greatly appreciated.
I installed a Superfurl on my Cal39 many years ago, can't remember exactly when, but much prior to my wife and I sailing to Mexico in 2005. It has performed flawlessly, including 3 "Baja Bashes". It is still on my boat and still working flawlessly.

It was easy to install. The only modification to the sail is to replace the hanks with the slides that come with the furler. No boltrope. The manufacturer is in the USA, in Fullerton CA (near Los Angeles) and is very helpful. The furler is reasonably priced. I highly recommend it.

I have experience with MANY different furlers as I was a delivery skipper from 1985 until 2002, both along the west coast of Mexico and the United States, and also between the mainland and Hawaii (both ways, though mostly from Hawaii),
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 10:29   #12

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I ordered and installed two Alado Furlers on a 44 ft Motor sailer 3 years ago replacing older CDI furlers. It was harder taking down to old ones than installing the new ones. These reefer/furlers are simple, strong and have their own internal halyard which I wanted. No halyard wrap. I had also looked at the flexible CDI, but the warrantee was only 6 years and shipping was a problem. I am very happy with the Alado. Fast and friendly service to Canada from the US distributor. They are shipped from Brazil. The engineering of the foils is most impressive.
I agree with everything said here by Lancerbye. Excellent product, very well engineered and easy to install, Lifetime warranty etc. It is so simple, it is bullet proof. What's more, factory response was immediate both for delivery and replacement of one part that exhibited a manufacturing defect (one upper sheave would not turn) and best of all, the price was right.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 10:44   #13

Boat: Sail Craft, Apache 41

Have an Alado on my Cat worry free and with the dollar strong against the Real it's going to be the least expensive
Debgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 10:57   #14

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

Another happy Alado guy here. Headsail & staysail, been up for 2 years. I had to take them off to pull the mast in October for a re-wire. I put them up the 1st and 2nd times solo. They recommend 2 people, and I can see where it would be easier, but even by myself it's like a 2 hour job. They've never given me a lick of trouble. Mostly coastal cruising up to say about 40 knots. We use the Yankee reefed a fair bit in the winter, and the furler seems to take it just fine on our Baba 30.

There is certainly a price break in the furlers between brands like CDI, Alado and a few others, vs Profurl, Harken and Furlex. To be honest I'm not sure what creates it. The folks at Alado certainly think their units are on par with everything else, and from my use, I can't see a way that isn't true, but maybe someone who has used both the "high-end" and "budget" systems can offer their 2 cents.

I did a lot of internet & marina research before choosing Alado, and of the people that HAVE them, I couldn't find one person who didn't like it. Maybe it's only a different "class" of sailor that are the ones that are buying them, but ... I love mine.
Dartanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 11:08   #15

We replaced a cdi with our ProFurl, 15 years of great service.

No maintenance, no halyard restrainer needed at the top swivel, it's built in.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, shopping