Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2012, 09:22   #1

Separate Fuel Fill Hoses

Greetings. I am now plumbing my diesel fuel tanks and it would be easier if I used one fill pipe to a 3-way valve and then to each of my tanks. Is that OK and legal or do I need separate fill pipes for each tank?

Thanks to all.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 09:43   #2

Re: Separate Fuel Fill Hoses

Dont know if there is a problem with regs. My last boat had just a Y, when the tanks near full, the fuel just went to the most empty one. a 3 way would be nice though.... sometimes you dont want two tanks full if you arent using the fuel fast enough! Wow. a 1.5" 3 way aint going to be cheap though...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 10:26   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

With my water tanks I just went with a 'Y' on the inlets. BUT the vents do share the same line about a foot above the tanks.

When one tank is completely full it flows into the vent, which in turn forces the water to flow into the tank that is less full. The system seems to work pretty good. I'll be doing the same with a additional fuel in the future.

BTW my vents are the same height as the tank inlets so I can tell if the tank is full before it comes out the vent.
Old 18-09-2012, 11:13   #4

I had fuel vents plumbed together on one boat and it was a PITA. seems one tank would push fuel out the vent when filling... just an FYI... might have been too much horizontal run inthe vent ....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 11:29   #5

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I would want separate fuel fills for each. That way if you get a bad batch of fuel it is only in one tank.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 11:59   #6

Thanks. I already have 1 1/2" bronze gate valves. I think I will use a "Y" as suggested and just put gate valves after the "Y".

I already have 4 vents (If you can believe it) because there used to be 4 fuel tanks now just 2 tanks. So I'm good on that.

Thanks. Always helpful getting multiple viewpoints.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 09:05   #7

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5
I would want separate fuel fills for each. That way if you get a bad batch of fuel it is only in one tank.
I'm with you there, I keep all tanks separate in case of contamination. I use transfer pumps to adjust levels as needed. You heard about that motor yacht abandoned in the gulf in a storm because he got seawater in through the one vent and contaminated all his fuel before he realized what happened! Doh!
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel