Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2009, 15:10   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Securing Objects to the Boat

I bought a water witch and it should be easy to attach to the bilge. There are two holes, just drill and screw it in.

I'm a new boat owner and had this feeling that I'm in a different environment than my 215 year old home in Maine. Started reading and realized how just timy holes in the fiberglass can add up to thousands of dollars in repairs in the future.

So how do you attach items in the bilge, for that mater anywhere? My next project is to add a Rule 3700 pump in the bilge and how should it be secured?
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 15:17   #2

I share your marked aversion to putting holes in a boat. However, as long as you aren't punching through to the outside, you should be fine... the glass in your keel stub should be some of the thickest in the boat, and you don't need to go very deep to secure a lightweight switch.

The old adage "Measure twice, cut once" was surely invented by a sailor, however. If you're going to make holes, make sure you get them right the first time! It's not impossible to patch, but it's no fun (IMHO).
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 15:39   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Glue a properly sized and pre-drilled piece of Starboard to the bottom of the bilge sump with epoxy or 3M 5200. Once that's cured, screw the switch to that and leave the ship's skin unblemished. Same for the bilge pump.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 15:50   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Starboard is hard to glue to anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Glue a properly sized and pre-drilled piece of Starboard to the bottom of the bilge sump with epoxy or 3M 5200. Once that's cured, screw the switch to that and leave the ship's skin unblemished. Same for the bilge pump.

FWIW...
So I would suggest Garboard or some similar FRP product.
Old 28-05-2009, 16:50   #5

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
I had thought of gluing the parts straight to the boat but couldn't get around how to get them off when I needed to replace. I like putting in a complete board and attaching to it with screws. Thanks!!!!! This will work in many other places as well.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 17:53   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
This general idea will work where the hull or cabin is too thin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I had thought of gluing the parts straight to the boat but couldn't get around how to get them off when I needed to replace. I like putting in a complete board and attaching to it with screws. Thanks!!!!! This will work in many other places as well.
where the skin is cored (not solid glass) and where you would like to work on something more complicated at home and simply mount it there. It allows you to spread the load of heavy items.
Old 28-05-2009, 17:54   #7

I use a 1/4" piece of marine ply just set in the bilge. It's wide enough that it doesn't tip or move. Let's a 1/4" of water in the bilge but so what. Makes it easy to replace and change as well. I thought about cutting a hole just the size of the bottom of the pump and routing a channel in the ply to get those last drops but haven't done it yet.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote