Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 07:15   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Salt on Engine block

While moving my boat yesterday I discovered that the raw water exhaust hose was leaking from its connection to the anti-siphon valve causing a fair amount of brackish water to spray/drip on my engine and surrounding components. My question is whether I should attempt to rinse the brackish water off to avoid corrosion or would I just be doing more harm than good? Thanks!
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:22   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Salt on Engine block

409 followed by some Corrosion Block. Don't think I would try to rinse with fresh water.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:20   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Pay particular attention to any electrical connections or components that may be within the drip or spray area. Even a little salt water can cause problems there.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
... Don't think I would try to rinse with fresh water.
Why not water (excepting alternator/starter)?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:32   #5

I would rinse with fresh water before anything. Obviously don't flood the alternator or starter.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:46   #6

Thank you everybody for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Pay particular attention to any electrical connections or components that may be within the drip or spray area. Even a little salt water can cause problems there.

S/V B'Shert
There is a bundle of wires that runs right below the galley cabinet where water was dripping down. Tried my best to keep it clear but I'm sure it was hit by a good bit of water before I discovered the leak. I'm thinking I could just give these a good "sponge" bath and let dry thoroughly?
Old 08-07-2015, 08:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Why not water (excepting alternator/starter)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would rinse with fresh water before anything. Obviously don't flood the alternator or starter.
Luckily, most of the exposure was in the aft part of the engine compartment and mostly got on the exhaust mixing box, drive shaft, heat exchanger, etc. front of engine seemed to only receive a light spray at best.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:38   #8

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Consider using Salt-away to rinse everything. It is designed to get rid of the salt much better than just fresh water. You should rinse everything in any case and then dry as best you can. Any wiring that has been exposed to saltwater will forever be somewhat suspect so you should inspect it regularly, especially at the terminals.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:52   #9

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Consider using Salt-away to rinse everything. It is designed to get rid of the salt much better than just fresh water. ...
Interesting product - no odor, no chemicals, blue dye, 70-90% water and some non-Hazardous coupling and surface active agents?

I would mix 30% vinegar to water to neutralize the salt and pour on the engine, as mentioned above being careful to avoid the electrical components. Then lightly spray WD 40 or similar.
SVTatia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:20   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

get the salt off the metal. if you don't it will be rust soon. the electrical components will corrode and fail as well.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:27   #11

Thank you, everyone. My first instinct was to get to cleaning but wanted to make sure I do it in a way that doesn't do more harm.

I'm also glad that it was my Dad who discovered the leaking hose under the galley sink and not my wife!
Old 08-07-2015, 11:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Interesting product - no odor, no chemicals, blue dye, 70-90% water and some non-Hazardous coupling and surface active agents?

I would mix 30% vinegar to water to neutralize the salt and pour on the engine, as mentioned above being careful to avoid the electrical components. Then lightly spray WD 40 or similar.
Sorry, last time I checked, water was a chemical. So it's chemical-free apart from the 90% water? The blue dye, the coupling (whatever that is), and the surfactants, are also chemicals......so apart from the water, the dye, the coupling (sic), and the surfactants, it's chemical-free. Good to know.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:14   #13

I would use Vinegar, then rinse with tap water. The vinegar is acidic and will totally dissolve the salt accumulated. 50/50 solution with tap water will work just fine, then straight tap water and dry.
Michael Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 16:11   #14

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

I've washed my engine down many times over the years with fresh water from a hose at the dock. Doesn't hurt anything . Of course I put a plastic bag over the air intake and don't hose off the alternator.

Once you clean off the block, start the engine and run for a while - to bring the engine up to operating temperature- the heat dries off the surfaces and evaporates any stray pockets of fresh water that might lurk around.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 20:07   #15

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
I've washed my engine down many times over the years with fresh water from a hose at the dock. Doesn't hurt anything . Of course I put a plastic bag over the air intake and don't hose off the alternator.

Once you clean off the block, start the engine and run for a while - to bring the engine up to operating temperature- the heat dries off the surfaces and evaporates any stray pockets of fresh water that might lurk around.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

I rinse mine with fresh water and then use a leaf blower to give it a blow dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, salt