Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2018, 06:57   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
Rusty keel bolts - what to do?

The bolts on my 1980s vintage beneteau first 305 that go into the steel fin keel are rusty and chipping off when I poke them with a screwdriver. I am in a part of the world where I will need to direct people to do it for me or do it myself. How do I go about fixing this issue?

My (uninformed) thoughts are:

- try to remove the crumbly bolts and replace with similar material while boat is out of the water, one by one.

- if the crumbly bolts cannot be taken out, have a backing plate fabricated and drill new holes, install new bolts.

- since there is no leaks around the keel/hull joint or any leaks in the bilge, I shouldn’t have to remove and rebed the keel. I think that would be nearly impossible to pull of with my skills/experiences.

I appreciate any help from those who are knowledgeable about this matter. Thank you!
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 14:44   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Rusty keel bolts - what to do?

What part of the world are you in? Connecticut has numerous boatyards capable of the repairs necessary.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 14:46   #3

Boat: Currently in between

So you're saying the head of the bolts are rusted but you "may" be able to get them out? Or do you have studs coming out of the keel and you have nuts in the bilge that are rusting?
Old 03-07-2018, 20:36   #4

The boat is located in Southern Turkey at the moment. Pretty close to Cyprus. So, not too many qualified yards around. That’s why I will have to do it myself. It would have been easier to do this if we were still in Connecticut.
Old 03-07-2018, 20:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
So you're saying the head of the bolts are rusted but you "may" be able to get them out? Or do you have studs coming out of the keel and you have nuts in the bilge that are rusting?

I can only see the heads of the bolts a d they are rusted. I do not know about the rest. However, I never had any seepage out of the keel/hull joint so the rest of the bolts may still be in good shape. I have gotten advice from a fellow boater that a welder may be able to weld a piece of metal onto the bolt if the head is completely stripped, but I have no experience with this.
Old 03-07-2018, 21:01   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 375

The bolts can be replaced one at a time with the boat in the water, new bolts can be supplied by Beneteau. There must be a dozen threads about this. There's probably enough left of the bolt heads to grab them with a pipe wrench and back them out.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 21:14   #7

To begin with if no water is entering the bilge and when the boat is hauled you don't see any leakage at the joint then its very likely that the portion between the bolt and keel will not be corroded...having said that because of the age of the boat it's a good idea to replace the studs. I'd begin by using a rust remover or a brass/bronze disk brush on your drill and get as much of the rust off so you can clearly see what your dealing with. I don't know how Beneteau installed the keels but you could contact them and find out. If there is a nut on the stud and there is room you can double nut the stud and remove it..you'll probably need a cheater bar. You can replace these studs on some boats one at a time without removing the keel and damaging the seal..this can be done on the hard or in the water..key words...one at a time. When you talk to Beneteau get the torque settings for these studs as that's very important. And yes if there is no room at the top of the stud to start and hold another nut then you can spot weld another nut on top to lock both of them for removal. Also when talking to Beneteau get the exact thread size and diameter of the replacements. Most of these studs are made from mild steel or stainless. Mild steel is a better choice as you won't get crevice corrosion but they will of course rust. When you do get your studs replaced treat them with an epoxy paint and gelcoat them every year. Good luck. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 22:49   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Robert, other threads have reported that Bennies use bolts, or properly hex head cap screws that mate with tapped holes in the iron keels. Thus, no chance to double nut if the heads are compromised to the point that a wrench won't grip them.

Welding might work, but one would need to be very careful not to burn the surrounding glass matrix. I'd try the pipe wrench first! (If one has adequate access.) The washer or metal plate under the head of the screw might give enough thermal isolation that welding would be ok.

Jim
Old 05-07-2018, 10:57   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
The boat is located in Southern Turkey at the moment. Pretty close to Cyprus. So, not too many qualified yards around. That’s why I will have to do it myself. It would have been easier to do this if we were still in Connecticut.
Nice Boat! Replacing the bolts is a no brainer. It can easily be done in the water one at a time by anyone that can pull a wrench handle. PM me your email address and I will forward the Beneteau technical notice; or, simply call Ward Richardson in the Part Department at BeneteauUSA at 843-629-5300 and he can send you the same information. The bolts can be obtained from Beneteau France while you're in Turkey and likely at some savings over USA shipping--they "ain't" cheap!

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 15:57   #10

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Nice Boat! Replacing the bolts is a no brainer. It can easily be done in the water one at a time by anyone that can pull a wrench handle. PM me your email address and I will forward the Beneteau technical notice; or, simply call Ward Richardson in the Part Department at BeneteauUSA at 843-629-5300 and he can send you the same information. The bolts can be obtained from Beneteau France while you're in Turkey and likely at some savings over USA shipping--they "ain't" cheap!

FWIW...

Hi Hylite. I have a B 382 could you please send me the Tech notice. My boat was built here so maybe I'll get a little break. b38@westwindsystems.com Ward doesn't seem to be answering his phone much anymore
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 17:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
Hi Hylite. I have a B 382 could you please send me the Tech notice. My boat was built here so maybe I'll get a little break. b38@westwindsystems.com Ward doesn't seem to be answering his phone much anymore

That's "HyLyte" to you buddy! N'any case, check your email.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 23-07-2018, 17:56   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

There are tools called stud removers that work like ezy outs except they are female instead of male. The threads are left hand. Screwing them down makes them cut into the stud and grip them tightly, and continuing to turn them counterclockwise in theory turns the stud in the unscrewy direction. Sometimes they work. Sometimes not. Sometimes you get the alligator. Sometimes the alligator gets you. Anyway welding on a fiberglass boat is not something I like to do until all other options have failed. Now if they are cap screws and not studs, that won't work, of course. Then again maybe it might, you would just be gripping the head with the stud remover. These things are very hard steel and you can put a big breaker bar to it, or an impact wrench.
Old 22-12-2018, 09:23   #13

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Hi HyLyte,

could you please send me that technical bulletin. I have a Beneteau Idylle 51 that I need to replace the keel bolts on.

Thanks,
Colin
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
Hi HyLyte,

could you please send me that technical bulletin. I have a Beneteau Idylle 51 that I need to replace the keel bolts on.

Thanks,
Colin

Done. Check your email.

Cheers!
Old 22-12-2018, 14:00   #15

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

I was thinking of using an impact gun to remove the old bolts one at a time. Anyone have any thoughts on that or used one for this purpose.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, keel bolts