Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2017, 13:51   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 Mk1
Retaining cap on Maxwell Winches

My boat came with two Maxwell 26 jib sheet winches that are in bad need of service. Unfortunately I can't get the retaining cap of the top of the winch to disassemble them. It's the kind with two thin slits on each side of the cap. I was able to get to service the smaller halyard winch (with some elbow grease), but nothing I will do can get these guys to budge. Seriously considering buying new winches just cause I can't service these. Is there a trick to these? A special tool that will help? Or are they just paperweights now?

If you manage to tell me how to fix this you'd be saving me a fortune!
ThreadenSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 14:50   #2

Boat: CS 33
Re: Retaining cap on Maxwell Winches

Try this site Hope it works!!

Technical Support for your Maxwell Winch
PDScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 18:41   #3

Boat: Catalina 34 Mk1

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately Maxwell no longer makes sheet winches. But their website directed me to Hutton winches in Australia- who still sell some parts. Allen Hutton responded very quickly and kindly sent me drawings and manuals for the winch. Unfortunately his only advice for getting the cap off was WD40 and a big hammer. Apparently the nut is chrome brass and the gear box is aluminum. Sounds like I'm not the first person with this problem. I'm gonna go hit them with a hammer. If it doesn't work, does anyone want a really expensive paperweight?
ThreadenSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 15:02   #4

Boat: Custom 27' Trimaran

Hi there, I know is pretty old post but Im in the same situation. I cant take the reatining cap and drums apart. Did you manage to eventually do it with the hammer and the screwdriver?Many thanks
amgpuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxwell, winch