Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2014, 09:20   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Best tool for Removing the Retaining Ring?

I've got Yanmar 3YM30 engines and the retaining ring for the secondary fuel filter is a little tricky to get off. I have been using mole grips but it appears to be stripping the teeth on the ring. Anyone have a suggestion of a better tool to get this off without stripping the teeth? I do it monthly or so to check for water in the fuel.

I've attached a picture. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zoid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RetainingRing.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	85598  
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 09:28   #2

Re: Best tool for removing the retaining ring?

By the looks of that notched ring I would guess there is a yanmar tool just for that...? Otherwise.. you may be able to find a Band Wrench for filters that small... I have seen some small ones. Maybe ask at a NAPA auto parts store.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 09:35   #3

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Zoid what you need is a c spanner now don't know where you are but just google c spanner set you will see photos of them and sellers most likely are on eBay they are perfect for this type of work
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 09:35   #4

When I worked with a boat mechanic, we would use a straight-blade screwdriver, place it carefully on one of the ring teeth, and gently tap the screwdriver with pliers to loosen the ring, then unscrew by hand. We would change both primary and secondary filters in the spring.

If you have a good primary fuel filter, it should be catching any water in the fuel. Primary filters like the following make it easy to check and drain away accumulated water without having to pop off a filter then having to bleed the fuel system every time.

Also, the ring and threads on the Yanmar's secondary filter are a bit delicate. I would not be risking premature wear or damage to them by removing it monthly.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 09:36   #5

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

My solution is to put a Racor, of smaller micron size, before the engine filter and only change the engine mounted filter on an annual basis.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 10:11   #6

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Sail monkey whilst I agree with your suggestion having racor filters of which he may have already as not stated but that is not what he is asking though he is asking for the correct tool to remove filter And if some one came along to my boat and used a screwdriver of any description on a filter of this type they wouldn't last 2 seconds on my boat
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 10:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
And if some one came along to my boat and used a screwdriver of any description on a filter of this type they wouldn't last 2 seconds on my boat
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

The well-intentioned engineers at Yanmar designed that ring to be hand-tightened, not reefed with some glorified spanner. But hand-tight sometimes can't be loosened as easily. Ya got the perfect shaped wrench, that perfectly matches those teeth... by all means use it. But carefully applying gentle tangential impacts with the screwdriver works very well, and doesn't risk the deformation or marring you'll get from an oversized pump pliers or Channelocks. Which is what most people end up doing.

To retighten, you do the ring up hand tight, then you use the screwdriver again for just another 5 or 10 degrees of turn. That's all that's required.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 11:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

screwdriver as mentioned or a band wrench as mentioned. All I'll add is you can get band wrenches cheap that use a rubber belt as the band, they won't leave any ark at all and you can put more force on them than you would think and they won't break, they seem to be made like a serpentine belt, just without the grooves and you know how tough those are.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 17:10   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Best tool for Removing the Retaining Ring?

You might be surprised how easy it would be to make a little custom spanner wrench if you can't just buy one. Especially when you change that filter so often.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 17:39   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A strap wrench will do the job of many custom spanners.

You may even find a matching custom spanner sold locally for water filters, many of the "under sink" kind use a similar ring and wrench.

But the strap wrench will be easier to find and pretty universal on what it fits. Can't do any damage, either.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 17:50   #11

Boat: 45 Hunter Passage - On-On

Knipex can be located at most industrial supply tool suppliers
But I think the pipe pliers might grab the best and do the least damage to the ring
Just my 2 cents

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1406594820.405069.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	85726

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mholubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 18:47   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

If it was made to be tightened and loosened by something other than a spanner, it would not have the lugs for a spanner. Strap wrenches are dreadful when there is metal to metal contact in what you are undoing. With an oil filter, there is a gasket and there is some give to the assembly so a strap wrench often works. With the nut on that filter you are going to need to give it jerk to break it loose. A strap wrench might work but it might slip also.
I once used a pipe wrench and a long cheater bar to remove and replace the engine drive coupling on a Huey, hardly the right tool but sometimes you need to get the job done. I know of both sides.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 20:15   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Zoid what you need is a c spanner now don't know where you are but just google c spanner set you will see photos of them and sellers most likely are on eBay they are perfect for this type of work
One can probably find a c-spanner for a few bucks.

Or you can spend up to a couple a hundred if you want a fancy adjustable one.

Sometimes the answer is really pretty easy.

+1 on getting the right tool - You are damaging that housing.

Oh and yes it should be hand tight. As a kludge I have used a piece of webbing, wrapped around the bowl with overwrap, grab it in my fist and used the pad of my hand as a fulcrum to gain leverage. You can do similar with a cloth/shop rag.

I was always trained "not" to hammer on stuff until last resorts are reached - certainly not for routine maintenance and using a screwdriver as a punch - bad idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spx_c_spanner-1.jpg
Views:	1902
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	85733  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 09:01   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380

I've been offline so haven't been able to reply, but wow, thanks for all the suggestions! I'm in the Mediterranean and will see what I can find. The webbing by hand might would be great if it works. My primary filter doesn't have the see thru window, but might invest in one of those soon. The frequency was what is prescribed by the manual, so while aggressive I was just following orders. Thanks again for all the great feedback

Sent from my XT1032 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 09:16   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

For the webbing trick you can also take a large screwdriver and on the last wrap lay the screwdriver on the "inside" of the wrap and lay the webbing along the screwdriver.

Grasp the screwdriver/webbing in one hand and now you've created a "handle" for the webbing - poor man's strap wrench.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote