Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2010, 20:02   #1

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
Report: Teakguard - 1 Year Later

A year ago I decided to treat my exterior wood with a product called teakguard. At the time I could not find information from people that had used it for more than a year. So, for anyone else looking for the same information I was: here are my observations with the product one year after initally applying. I post with caution as I know teak is a sensitive subject and I am not trying to convert anyone out there.

The initial treatment:
After cleaning the wood, I applied two coats on the first day. It is a waterbased polymer product that has the consistancy of chocolate milk, doesn't have any odor, and is not sticky. It dries within 10 min. and does not need taping off. The next day I used bronze wool on the wood and put on four more coats. I didn't touch it again for a year. (Plenty of other projects kept me more than busy)

One year later:
The finish still looked good but had just started to get thin all over and had worn through in a few high traffic areas. In those areas I chose to reclean with teak cleaner as it was just starting to turn grey/black. (The product can be removed with teak cleaner or laquer thinner pretty easily). Also, the directions say that even though mold can not grow on the teak guard, it can grow under it if it is applied to unclean teak. On the areas that were still in good condition I just added a few coats after washing with joy soap as per the directions.

Next year:
I will put on a maintenance coat or two in 6 months so that I will not have to worry about it becoming too thin and having to clean any of the wood again.

Before and After photos (last year):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010336.JPG
Views:	1075
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	18005   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010401.JPG
Views:	1339
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	18006  

Old 26-07-2010, 20:16   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Awesome...mine has been sitting in its original delivered shipping box for two years still waiting its turn.....thanks for the report!

What did you paint your decks with?....nice work!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 20:25   #3

Re: Report: Teakguard - 1 Year Later

I see this thread is five years old. Does anyone have any current comments or reviews about using TeakGuard? I am especially interested in how it holds up in the tropics as I am located in SE Asia.
CelesteVirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 14:01   #4

Thanks! My husband and I are going to use this for our exterior wood on our Tartan! We don't have much but we also live in Florida.
gail373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 14:42   #5

"The initial treatment:
After
cleaning the wood, I applied two coats on the first day. It is a waterbased polymer product that has the consistancy of chocolate milk, doesn't have any odor, and is not sticky. It dries within 10 min. and does not need taping off. The next day I used bronze wool on the wood and put on four more coats. I didn't touch it again for a year. (Plenty of other projects kept me more than busy)

One year later:
The finish still looked good but had just started to get thin all over and had worn through in a few high traffic areas. "

So..... it looks like 6 coats total. Just an FYI, varnish will last at least that long with 6 coats also. As will other things I imagine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 15:48   #6

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Cheechako,
Teakguard is water based, so no clean up problems. It is also applied with a foam brush, so no worry about brush strokes or loose bristles. It can be applied over itself without sanding. Do that with varnish!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 16:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
Cheechako,
Teakguard is water based, so no clean up problems. It is also applied with a foam brush, so no worry about brush strokes or loose bristles. It can be applied over itself without sanding. Do that with varnish!
Yeah... just commenting about the wear. Although foam brushes are fine with varnish too. I hate varnish!
I fought foam brushes for years until I broke down and hired a pro... he was using them!
I don't have clean up problems either, just use a disposable foam brush!
So you got me on the sanding!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote