Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 16:44   #16

Re: Replacing headliner - could I use planking on the ceiling instead of fabric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I used western red cedar for my headliner. 1.5" wide strips that are 3/8" thick. They are fastened to plywood that is epoxied in place.

It's not fully complete, some boards need to be replaced due to placement of hole drilled. I just figured out exactly how I am going to do the lighting. I am also in the process of oiling the wood with Watco Danish oil (natural color) to retain the light wood color.

Here's some photosAttachment 189250Attachment 189251Attachment 189252Attachment 189253Attachment 189254
We used cedar planking, too. We attached it to the furing strips with stainless staples, then varnished it. We are very happy with how ours came out.

Old 03-04-2019, 19:40   #17

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Replacing headliner - could I use planking on the ceiling instead of fabric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
We used cedar planking, too. We attached it to the furing strips with stainless staples, then varnished it. We are very happy with how ours came out.
Would love to see how yours looks in comparison

I am also very happy with mine. Think I spent around $150 for materials, and I have plenty remaining to hopefully finish out the hallway to the vbirth and the aft cabin

It's just a pain in the event of needing to remove them. Otherwise, aesthetically I love it!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 13:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Would love to see how yours looks in comparison
Here you go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3BB6EB91-9D64-4204-BA0D-9F374FEC1A6E.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	189385  
Old 07-04-2019, 08:38   #19

Boat: Genzel Phantom 28

Everyone, thank you very much indeed for your responses! chowdan and Group9, those photos look great, that's the result I'm aiming for.

I do like all the suggestions of making plywood/plastic/formica panels cut to shape and attached to the battens, but the problem here is that I couldn't get acceptable plywood - all the thin plywood I could find for sale was dry-side-out and I would expect it to rot quite soon. Plastic, formica, and similar I could only find with a too-thick backing, more than 2cm each. Current headroom indoors is 180cm, while I'm 179cm and my girlfriend is 176.

So, this week I took delivery of the wood strips, they're 0.6mm thick and much lighter in colour than the sample (and therefore ideal for the ceiling in terms of lighting). Weight is minimal. I cut them to shape this weekend, excepting the final strips on the side which have to be more exact, and just got back from test-fitting a few. Down the centerline of the boat there are some bulges in the fiberglass so it's not quite a smooth run, but rather than attacking it with a grinder I have some 1mm and 2mm planking lying around from my model-building days which I can apply in the "valleys" so I can get a straight solid mounting all the way down the boat. I think it will turn out quite nice in the end. There's minimal hardware to worry about accessibility - four bolts, where I can leave openings in the paneling, and a single wire for the ceiling light, which I'll run down the bevel between two strips so it's accessible but discreet.

I expect the joints at the corners where the strips hit the walls won't be perfect, but flexible skirting will hide a multitude of sins. That does mean that I probably won't replace the wall fabric with this wood, though, where the half the edges have curves. Fortunately I have some fun fabric lying around that I can use to replace the stained fabric currently in place.

So it's all moving forward, and I'll get to the actual gluing and sealing as soon as the rain stops. Thanks again, all!
Toffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:16   #20

Boat: Genzel Phantom 28

I figured I should just pop into this thread with the results; the cabin headliner is mostly done! There were some delays as I had to take a different mounting approach, and because someone stole my gangway. I still need to seal it, but I like the look of it so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ceiling.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	193035  
Toffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:39   #21

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Our boat came with thin plywood panels (209 of them) that were covered with a microfiber that looked awful. We removed all the panels and sent them out to an upholsterers for recovering with Naugahyde over a thin layer of foam. It came out great.

However, before we bought the boat we have, we looked very closely at a Caliber 45, whose ceiling was made of strips of a light-colored wood (I’m not sure what type) that were spaced about 6mm apart and the screws were covered with removable wood ‘buttons’. If you ever needed to get to a deck fitting’s through bolt, you could pop the button out, unscrew the strip and have great access to the underside of the deck.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:51   #22

I used white cedar and 3 coats of sprayed on varnish on this one. I used exterior varnish and that's why it got so dark for white cedar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6576039_0_170120180643_4.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	193043  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 14:19   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffe View Post
I figured I should just pop into this thread with the results; the cabin headliner is mostly done! There were some delays as I had to take a different mounting approach, and because someone stole my gangway. I still need to seal it, but I like the look of it so far.
Looking great, so far. Thanks for coming back with the picture.

Ann
Old 01-06-2019, 15:00   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffe View Post
That is gonna look sweet!

Old 02-06-2019, 21:58   #25

Boat: 49ft custom power catamaran

I have used lightweight plywood with foam-backed vinyl for the headliner. As you can see I have had some difficulty getting the spray contact cement to stick. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190510_161906.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	193131  
wefleenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:35   #26

I've never had any luck with the spray adhesive, even 3m headline spray adhesive. Maybe you can find a contact cement you can roll on with a paint roller. Usually these are applied to both surfaces, allowed to dry to a tacky state, then they bond almost instantly when put together.

Line up the vinyl very carefully as it will be hard to move after even a little contact is made between the two surfaces. Good luck!
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wefleenor View Post
I have used lightweight plywood with foam-backed vinyl for the headliner. As you can see I have had some difficulty getting the spray contact cement to stick. Any suggestions?
At the boat maker we used "Landau top adhesive" which came in a 5 gallon bucket. But it just seemed like contact cement to me. We sprayed it on with a paint sprayer. The covering material was cut larger and once it was put on, it was then trimmed to the edge after installation with a razor knife.
But as mentioned, the spray adhesive isnt very good. You may have to do that over. I prefer the old type of contact cement, not the newer non solvent type. A short nap roller works fine.

Old 03-06-2019, 20:33   #28

Boat: 49ft custom power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
At the boat maker we used "Landau top adhesive" which came in a 5 gallon bucket. But it just seemed like contact cement to me. We sprayed it on with a paint sprayer. The covering material was cut larger and once it was put on, it was then trimmed to the edge after installation with a razor knife.
But as mentioned, the spray adhesive isnt very good. You may have to do that over. I prefer the old type of contact cement, not the newer non solvent type. A short nap roller works fine.
I had tried rolling on contact cement but that resulted in the foam becoming saturated with contact cement and frequently that ended up sticking unevenly.
wefleenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 22:04   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I've seen pros using a notched trowel to spread adhesives. Would that work for you?

Jim
Old 04-06-2019, 08:44   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wefleenor View Post
I had tried rolling on contact cement but that resulted in the foam becoming saturated with contact cement and frequently that ended up sticking unevenly.
yeah, that foam back stuff is terrible. Had to replace the headliners (a lot of them!) im my Cat after only 7 years! Sun and heat makes the foam into dust.

Tags
fabric, head, headliner