Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2018, 16:49   #1

Replacing Headliner (Ceiling)

We have an 1984 Chris Craft Catalina 28. We are in the process of refurbishing the cabin.
We have removed the old headliner material which was glued directly onto the fiberglass. This was both on the ceilings and on the top portion of the sides. We are unsure what type of material we should install. We have seen marine grade material with and without insulation, and foam backed material with and without holes. We also have seen foam board being used .
We have not found any articles as to which is better. We live in NJ and plan on living aboard from may until November. So also wondering if an insulated headliner would be a worthwhile investment.
Anyone with advise on this would be appreciated along with why they feel this way.
moonglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 10:09   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch
Re: Replacing Headliner (Ceiling)

I would avoid the usual boat fabric/plastic/foam headliner options as they are too difficult to clean for a liveaboard. Additionally a good layer of insulation would be an excellent idea.

I would epoxy 1/2 or 5/8 plywood "beams" every two feet or so to the overhead. I would use panel cement or adhesive caulk to put foam insulation between the beams.

For the overhead I would use individual panels of white or cream plain high pressure laminate (Micarta, Formica.) It would be held in place with 1/4 inch X 2 inch strips of teak, oak or any wood which will look attractive varnished. Screws with finishing washers would be easy and allow the panels to be easily removed for cleaning.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 10:17   #3

I hope it was clear that the hardwood strips are screwed to the beams with individual HPL strips held in place between.

Its all so clear INSIDE my head! :-)
Old 23-02-2018, 11:15   #4

thanks for the quick reply!! any recommendations for specific foam board to use? and any advice as to the"curvy" sections of the overhead and hull?

https://jenellekappe.shootproof.com/...hoto/816658012
ONA_twr_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 14:23   #5

Been thinking about this. The curved overhead is no problem, the ply beams can be slit on the top part way through so they bend easily. I don't know where you are located but for insulation you can use Home Depot pink or blue 1/4 in. foam board (2 layers) or 1/2 in. hard foam (with foil both sides).

The cabin sides I would cover with 1/4" foam. The section with the ports could also use HPL (wood grain?) but the ports would need hardwood framing. There would also need to be molding on top and bottom.

The longitudinal fore and aft oddly shaped bit is more of a problem. I guess several thin hardwood strips could be used. Or it might be sanded smooth coated with resin an then painted white.

I like oak for these projects since it is readily available, cheap and can be varnished, stained, or painted.

All of these areas will require strategically placed ply glued to the hull for screws unless you think panel cement is sufficient.

These are just starting ideas. Undoubtedly when you get to the nuts and bolts stage problems will come up and everyone's best plans will be abandoned! 😕 But you have to start somewhere.

Tags
head, headliner