Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 17:18   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Dont forget the hammer...

I use a very small light hammer more times than I care to admit (I never claimed to be perfect). So many things need a light tap to get them into just the right position.

Maybe some sort of grinder. I use an upside down belt sander (not recommended) with 80 grit to sharpen chisels and drills. It's surprising how often the drill that you need is blunt, or even that the maker put the wrong angle on it. Also useful to get a close fit on most things and to "help" screwdrivers to fit properly. An angle cutting grinder with a metal cutting and grinding discs (they even have battery powered ones - don't let the police find you with one on a dark night) might serve.

And I don't think anyone has mentioned long (12") multigrips (very painful if they slip, will move most things) and locking pliers (I have, and use, 2).

Oh, and a small butane torch.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 17:36   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to Interstategypsy
WOW…. Looks like I started a decent thread.

Being as I don’t actually have a boat, I am trying to compare as much as possible things and circumstances to my truck.

Here goes…let me know if I am wrong about anything.

1 - You cant have enough tools or places to store them
2 - Murphy is alive and well on the water too. He actually follows me around so much that I claim him on my taxes.
3 - To fix anything requires twice the tools, twice the time, twice the price and a lot of cursing.
4 - Blood must be given to finish any job, no matter how small or large.
5 - If something is dropped, about 30% of the time it wont be recovered.
6 - If it can be recovered, the tool/part will always be at least 1 inch further away than you can reach.

This covers most of the repair jobs I do to my truck, I don’t expect the boat I buy to be any different.
Old 09-08-2008, 17:48   #18

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Also... a dropped tool will land where it can do the most damage... a device protected by a fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first... and if a project requires (n) components, there will be (n-1) units in stock.

It's the universal perversity of matter.

Steve
Old 09-08-2008, 18:04   #19

I just had one of my flashes of brilliance.

I can invest in scuba lessons, scuba gear and an underwater metal detector. I would then instantly have a source of extra income (recover tools dropped over board) or at very least add to my collection. With the right Marina and the right People I could make out like a Bandit (oops Pirate).

You people do not know how happy I am to have something in the cruising world that I actually have some small amount of experience doing. LOL
Old 09-08-2008, 18:38   #20

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Ya gotta be quick recovering those dropped tools. Check out this hammer I found...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rustyhammer.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	4595  
Old 10-08-2008, 02:14   #21

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
I was about 20 minutes into my relationship with the boat when I experienced my first, "plink......plink.....plink....splunk"

Regardless of the MASSIVE EFFORT associated with the task I think there is something to be said for the recommendation in Sensible Cruising. I calculated this afternoon that I have about 95 gallons of tools on the boat right now.

*that is absurd*

I don't think I will go through and disassemble my boat- but some sort of culling is obviously required. And, this is after the massive sell-all-my-**** festival I hosted for 3 months before moving the current pile to the boat.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:04   #22

I will take most of the tools I used to build the boat (except the panel saw and drill press). One of the great things about building. If you are going to build it, you build it so you can fix it. My boat comes with the tag "access all areas" except for the weep hole under the drain plug in the bilge !!

cheers
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:46   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Here's one you might not think of: a "grabber". Or some call it a "reacher".

It's invaluable for reaching into spots that you can't get into with your arm. In my case usually the engine compartment area under the engine and transmission. You can even pick up a small screw or nut with it. I also use it for grasping a paper towel to wipe up spilled engine oil after an oil change. They're sold as aids for people with arthritis or other disabilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aluminium_reachers_both.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	4616  
Old 10-08-2008, 06:23   #24

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
I admit to being a tool whore. A set for the boat, one for the truck and three stacked in the shop. I don't like moving stuff around. Not to mention all the lectronic stuff.

The one thing I'd recommend other than what's been offered up is a decent compact cordless drill. Priceless!! And all the really high quality bits you can afford. Cheap bits are more trouble than they are worth.
Oh and a drill/tap for all fasteners on board.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:51   #25

LMAO @ tool whore -- I was thinking along the line of tool sl#t but whore sounds a lil better. Just trying to keep things decent. LMAO

I have everything that I have read and have used them many times over on my truck, the only thing I really need will be the Grabber, with my truck anything that falls usually hit’s the ground.

What about in the electrical department? I have to admit that I will be going with the KISS / Minimalist style of cruising just because I will be busy correcting the many mistakes I will make sailing.

In my truck I have found that my 1500watt inverter powers everything I need off the batteries. Computer, printer, phone charger, microwave and the ever present coffee pot.(not all at the same time) I will try to buy a boat with an outboard engine instead of an inboard diesel just for simplicity and costs. I expect to charge the batteries with solar panels but someone I know from trucking ask me the other day if I could use the APU’s that have become all the rage nowadays on my boat. I honestly didn’t know, does anyone else know? I will post some links if it is appropriate to give some idea of what I am talking about. My idea is, maybe I could put one in the engine department. They are, I believe, a little smaller than the common diesel found on a small boat so room wouldn’t be an issue, price will be.

When I first started driving back in the dark ages I barely had a CB Radio, then as time went along I accumulated all the expensive toys, lights, chrome, etc, now I am back to just the radio. I have found that I spent about 1/3 of my time fixing, adjusting and cursing every new toy, what fun is that. LOL
Old 10-08-2008, 07:21   #26
Eternal Member

Hud is right about the "reacher". There's also another cheaper, readily available tool which does much the same thing.

A marine engineer friend found it at the AutoZone store just down from my house. It costs less than $5, and consists of a chromed wire-wound thingy, 24" long overall, with a four-part grapnel at the end (like on those arcade pick-up machines). It's very well made -- in China, of course -- and is activated by pushing a spring-loaded plunger tab on the end. It will pick up nuts, bolts, small tools, washers, anything you've dropped within a 2' distance from wherever you can get your hand.

I would guess that Sears, Home Depot, and hardware or auto parts stores would carry it also.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:47   #27

RigMaster Power Corp. - Manufacturer of The Ultimate Stand-Alone Truck Mounted APU

This is a link to one of the APU’s I mentioned. They are several different types and configurations, prices run from 7000 to 9000, but they are worth it on a truck such as mine. The only thing is the exhaust will have to be routed somewhere. I have a friend who uses one, he says he can run it 24 hours and it will only use about 1 ½ gallons of diesel, he gets 5000 watts of power thru a 110 household plug, heat (20000btu’s), air conditioning (not sure of the technical aspects but it is cold) and charges the batteries too.

Just an idea
Old 10-08-2008, 08:00   #28

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Microship you may have a goldmine there, that hammer looks like it might one Columbus dropped off of the Santa Maria.
Seriously, I have a complete set of high quality tools with many accesories grabbers, magnets, mirrors, and lights. I also have one of those 125 piece sets in a molded plastic box from Walmart, not real strong and not the best quality but each piece has it's own labled slot, the tools in it will take care of about 90% of the jobs when I'm through I can tell at a glance if something has been left out, close it and go. If I need them, and sometimes do, the good ones are there. But for most of the jobs the WMT set can take care of things and if they are stolen, lost, or overboard it is not a big deal. BTW the cheap tools will never go overboard when dropped only the expensive ones
A dedicated inpeller puller is expensive but really works well. To install impellers I use one or two nylon wire ties to compress them, works great!
The Craftsman zip up bags and roll up pouches are good also.
Good luck
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:44   #29
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Dropped a few tools over the side, missed everyone them except the pager (pre cellphone days). Boss said I tossed it over on purpose but he was wrong, it really did fall off my belt as I climbed aboard one day.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:47   #30

Boat: 44 footer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
The Craftsman zip up bags and roll up pouches are good also.
Good luck
Steve
Don't trust the arm strap on them... My toe smarts just thinking about it...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote