Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 12:51   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: PureAyre Fogger for Diesel Smell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
I'd never use an ozone generator for more than an hour in a boat because the ozone attacks plastics pretty aggressively. That includes the wiring insulation.
Just a little real research would tell you how much worry about nothing this concern is. On the hand you can stay in fear of "nothing" becoming "something" and instead spend "always" breathing air that is bad for you because if it smells bad, it most likely is bad to breathe.

https://www.noai.org/does-ozone-damage-rubber
Old 10-11-2018, 13:00   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Fix the source.......
Old 10-11-2018, 18:30   #18

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Just a little real research would tell you how much worry about nothing this concern is. On the hand you can stay in fear of "nothing" becoming "something" and instead spend "always" breathing air that is bad for you because if it smells bad, it most likely is bad to breathe.

https://www.noai.org/does-ozone-damage-rubber
If you read the article, written by "THe National Ozone Association", they say there is no risk today because they only run the machines in a home for 1 to 4 hours. They admit there was damage done when the generators were run longer.

And " Ozone can adversely affect indoor plants, and damage materials such as rubber, electrical wire coatings and fabrics and art work containing susceptible dyes and pigments (U.S. EPA, 1996a)."

So, with an old boat that has old wiring I would never run an ozone generator.

Disclaimer: I was in the car business and we would run ozone generators in trade ins that had been smoked in. This was always done outside and the car was left closed up for a few hours after the generator shut down, then all doors opened up and left for an hour.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:18   #19
CLOD

never mind, believe the used car salesman he will put the proper spin on things
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12   #20

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
never mind, believe the used car salesman he will put the proper spin on things
I read the facts, then I searched around and read more facts. Then I came back here and my faith in humanity was restored. Never let facts get in the way of truth.
Ozone will cause your boat to melt to the water line, all the insulation to fall off your electric wires and then it will burn another hole in the atmosphere directly over your boat......but it won’t kill roaches.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:35   #21

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

As was said by many, fix the source first. Just replace all hoses and fittings to start. What I have done with my bilge is to get to every part I can, then flood it was a mixture of soapy water....... then drain. Fill again with vinegar and water, let sit then drain.... follow one more time and let dry completely. Get an incredible large amount of crud out of all the deep recesses. Obviously all bilges are different. Be sure you have no sensitive wiring or other electronics that can fail due to getting wet. Amazing where some things get put....

Good luck
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:13   #22

I worked years as an oil burner tech. When we had small spills while working in a home ,we had a spray can that had a magic potion in it that instantly got rid of the disgusting fuel oil smell, I uses it about 4 times in 20 years and it was incredible. The trick was to give the area a quick light misting and let it alone. I got it at the wholesalers where I got my Oil equipment and parts. I'll look for my can, It only got 4 , 1 second sprays so it's like new.
I also heard that truckers have a magic potion for getting rid of oil smell too so they can fill the tanker with apple juice or other food stuff. They just use a few drops of the stuff in a giant tank trailer. A tiny bit goes a long way with theses chemicals. Good Luck It's called "Oder-Gone" not to be confused with the domestic stuff which is garbage.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 13:52   #23

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Fix the leak
Clean the boat
Do the maintenance.

We have a 1970's ex working trawler with 2000 gallons of diesel.
Zero diesel smell, zero smells of any sort.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 17:38   #24

Boat: 1977 Viking 43 DCMY

Think we are making progress.

I believe the source was 2 diesel leaks and a filthy bilge full of diesel and oil. We fixed the 2 leaks and since the bilge was so bad I had the marina do an initial cleanout to get the sludge pumped out. Then I went in and gave it 3 more cleanings of citrus bilge cleaner. Pushed the second through the bilge pumps to get them cleaned out, and nice clear water coming out. I have one last sloshing around overnight to get into any nooks and crannies I missed. Cleaned down all the equipment. The engine compartment smells clean and citrusy now, even after a couple of hours closed up. Just need to get some new pads placed under the engines and generator.

Now we are onto the cabin as the bilge is sweet smelling and seems diesel free. The boat definitely had this diesel issue for a while and its permeated into the cabins and furnishings. So spent the rest of the night going crazy with simple green on every surface. Going to clean it thoroughly a few times then finish the cabins and bilge off one last time with PureAyre. Went back a couple hours later, and all I could smell was Simple Green. Well see how it is after a night closed up.

Also, used the time to shock the fresh water system and give it a few full tank fulls of rinses. That is smelling better but I think it needs a second shock. Hot Water tank was bad, now is much better. And put some treatment into the blackwater tank.

So I think all that together, seems like night and day difference to a couple days ago.

Not sure the previous owners used these systems much and didnt keep up with the regular treatments and maintenance. Based on the work it took to clean the bilge, I think he was just putting oil changes to the floor...

Thanks for all the feedback! Hoping its in good shape when I give it the final PureAyre treatment. For now, seems like the situation is improving.
R1Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:29   #25

Boat: San Juan 21

Just wondering how those Ozone generator machines keep working if ozone melts insulation and plastic?
Herb Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:39   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Miller View Post
Just wondering how those Ozone generator machines keep working if ozone melts insulation and plastic?
Rating - Description
A - Excellent
Ozone has no effect on these materials. They will last indefinitely.
B - Good
Ozone has minor effect on these materials. Prolonged use with high concentrations of ozone will break down or corrode these materials beyond usefulness.
C - Fair
Ozone will break down these materials within weeks of use. Prolonged use with any ozone concentration will break down or corrode these materials beyond usefulness.
D - Poor
Ozone will break down these materials within days or even hours of use. These materials are not recommended for any use with ozone.

See the chart ➥ https://www.ozonesolutions.com/info/...ible-materials

Eg:
Natural rubber D-Very Poor
Neoprene C-Fair
Nylon D-Very Poor

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:45   #27
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Miller View Post
They all have a magical "whatucallit" inside that when used produces a force field 1mm around the outside of the unit. This allows ozone out, but not in. Most of the recent reports of ozone machine fails are the result of the "whatucallit" failing. The most dangerous is when the "whatucallit" just starts failing and starts to cycle on and off allowing some ozone inside the machine and into contact with it. When the "whatucallit" then cycles back on in the present of the ozone it causes a reaction that either causes the machine to explode, or if you are lucky to teleport into the Sun.

I can't believe people continue to do basic research on this topic
Old 26-11-2018, 07:29   #28

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

I was told by a very old salt in my boat yard years ago, that after cleaning with a good de-greaser, use Downy fabric softener, not diluted. Swash it around the entire bilge and let sit a few days with continual swashing..suck some up into the bilge pump. (make sure you replace all bilge hoses..)let sit a few days.suck out with shop vac and wash out again using diluted softener..dispose of properly. This has worked for a few boat owners in my yard, and myself, with really bad diesel odors, after cleaning.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 08:29   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Rating - Description
A - Excellent
Ozone has no effect on these materials. They will last indefinitely.
B - Good
Ozone has minor effect on these materials. Prolonged use with high concentrations of ozone will break down or corrode these materials beyond usefulness.
C - Fair
Ozone will break down these materials within weeks of use. Prolonged use with any ozone concentration will break down or corrode these materials beyond usefulness.
D - Poor
Ozone will break down these materials within days or even hours of use. These materials are not recommended for any use with ozone.

See the chart ➥ https://www.ozonesolutions.com/info/...ible-materials

Eg:
Natural rubber D-Very Poor
Neoprene C-Fair
Nylon D-Very Poor

I'm surprised to see fiberglass rated Poor for withstanding ozone. That's not encouraging.

Ozone is great stuff -- will kill absolutely everything organic, including mold. I have used it with great success on land. But my boat has port lights set in rubber seals, plus latex foam cushions, and other items vulnerable to ozone. As much as I would love to set it loose on my mold problems, I'm afraid too much havoc would be wreaked.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 08:42   #30
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
As much as I would love to set it loose on my mold problems, I'm afraid too much havoc would be wreaked.
Why, are you planning to leave it running for days? You kill the "critters" etc. and then ventilate the boat. It's not going make the boat fall apart and all the rubber to dissolve. It isn't some sci fi future super weapon.

Tags
diesel, fog