Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2018, 15:38   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Leaving Boat In Hot Climate For 4-5 Months

Hello, We plan to keep our boat in the water in Indonesia for the “rainy season” and I’ve read a few things on boat storage, but most websites talk about “Winterizing” and only a few address Warm/Hot climates.

The specific questions I have are...

1: Completely fill or empty inboard diesel fuel tanks?
I’ve read both but think filling sounds better

2: Change oil and fuel filters before or after?

3: Does the 2stoke outboard need anything done?

4: Leave batteries connected or disconnected?
I have 2 100w solar panels feeding 1 for each bank and the only thing I’ll leave on is a float switch bilge pump.

Besides that we realize ventilation is a key factor and keeping the boat dry. We’ve heard tea tree oil and vinegar do a good job of killing mold. I welcome any other suggestions for ventilation and dryness.

And as always, any other ideas on the topic are most welcome, let me know what has and/or has not worked for you in situations where you’ve been away from your boat for a few months.

Thank you much,
austin

theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 16:23   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Leaving Boat In Hot Climate For 4-5 Months

When I lived on Nauru Island it was vital to provide excellent ventilation to stop clothes/bedding etc going moldy in the wet months. The only sure way was to run the air-conditioner (without heating/cooling)

I have X6 dorade boxes on my yacht which allows proper ventillation.

Clive
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 16:39   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Air flow and tarping. Leave the fuel tanks full and water tanks empty. Bag all the sails and take the lines in. Cover as much of the boat as you can with tarps. It's tough if you have a tight cabin, some use dehumidifiers.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 16:55   #4

Vacuum bags for bedding, clothes, pillows etc helps prevent mould

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 16:57   #5

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

solar powered fans...….air movement is essential...….companionway wash boards replaced by security mesh...…..add solar powered exhaust fan(s) in forward hatch...….could be a temporary hatch......stand mattresses and cockpit cushions on their sides...….. plastic bag over propeller...….vacuum bag all blankets and linen as well any rugs.....add fresh water to toilet bowl...dump any opened food packets....leave all cupboard doors open.....cover the boat with tarps as UV is intense......remove any dry cell batteries from remotes, radios,etc...….deploy a bug 'bomb' as you leave...…
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 18:49   #6

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

All sounds good and familiar, thank you.

Any thoughts on changing oil and fuel filters before or after? And outboard prep?
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 19:09   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27

Re the outboard: drain the fuel. Otherwise you're sure to have a gunked up carb when you get back.

Re: the boat at large, it really sucks to come back to cockroaches, so we try our damnedest to clean every nook and cranny of crumbs and close every little vent and crack with a fine mesh, even if it means sacrificing some ventilation. I'll take a good mold scrubbing on the return to a cockroach infestation any day!

On our list is to install some solar vents for ventilation on top of the passive dorades. Personally, I really dislike leaving solar/electric/yard power wired up to fans/dehumidifiers. Too much to go wrong if you're gone for that long in my book.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 20:16   #8

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I left my boat on the hard on various Eastern Caribbean islands over the hurricane season. One thing the people above didnt mention is Damp Rid. Lots of it. I left 5 hanging Damp Rid packs in the boat and asked a guy to change them about half way through the season. They really work. Mildew is a real problem once it gets going but Damp Rid prevented it. Tea tree oil is good for cleaning up what mildew makes it past the Damp Rid.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:08   #9

I also recommend sun pac bags hanging up inside with chip clips 8 or 10 will last your absence this product will kill any mold issues
Emptynest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:19   #10

Boat: KP 46

If you don't tarp the boat, cover the ports and portlights with aluminum foil (inside).
I do this with my boat in Ft. Lauderdale and it is about 10 to 12 degrees cooler than before I started doing this.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:25   #11

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

All good suggestions. We run this over the winter and have used it during one summer as well: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Caframo-9...BoCKvcQAvD_BwE

It worked well, and we ran it off one battery charged by one small solar panel.

Good luck,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:34   #12

Boat: PDQ 44i

fuel tanks full. Water tanks:your choice
change oil and filters before
caretaker check monthly: scuppers, bilges, boat cover, desiccant, battery, etc.
damp-rid in many locations; replenish monthly
peltier dehumidifier discharges into sink
plug all thru hulls except sink and bilge pumps
bug screen on every opening
custom sunbrella boat cover will pay for itself quickly in the tropics and especially in tropical rainy season.
cover all running rigging with sacrificial fabric
retract all halliards into mast leaving messengers for retrieval
all lockers open, cushions and mattresses on edge; everything ventilated
batteries charged by solar array
"dry cells" removed from everything
wash and rinse every surface of the boat and everything on the boat to remove salt and dirt. Dilute vinegar wipe on non-metallic interior surfaces
lube everything
Our decommissioning for summer storage in the tropics takes us about 5 days. It takes that long because it is worth it.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:35   #13

1: Completely fill or empty inboard diesel fuel tanks?
I’ve read both but think filling sounds better Filling is traditional. never have figured if it's a big benefit or not though.

2: Change oil and fuel filters before or after? Change Fuel filters after. Change oil before is best but you should be fine either way.

3: Does the 2stoke outboard need anything done? I would douse it with lubricant spray and spray the cylinder thru the plug hole. My Yamaha froze up solid in 1 year in Florida.

4: Leave batteries connected or disconnected?
I have 2 100w solar panels feeding 1 for each bank and the only thing I’ll leave on is a float switch bilge pump.
Leave bilge pump connected

The advice about bagging anything soft like clothes is good, they get very mildewy fast.
Tape over, or put a dab of silicone you can pull off, on any tank vent fittings. The bugs love to build nests in there!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:55   #14

Boat: Outbound 46

Filling your fuel tanks will greatly reduce condensation caused by temperature changes, and limit the amount of water that builds up in the tanks. I'd suggest a diesel additive to reduce microbiological growth.

If you don't empty your water tanks, they will likely smell and taste foul when you get back.

Definitely change fuel and oil filters before you leave, no point in leaving crud in your engine for months at a time. Running your outboard dry will help reduce carburetor problems, but will not eliminate them. You may need to service the carb when you get back. You should also consider fogging the cylinders to reduce corrosion.

The various dessicants (damp rid, etc.) work well. If you use them, close your boat up tight or else they will need to be changed very often. Even with the boat closed up, plan to have someone change them once a month.

Agree completely on the value of putting clothing, bed linens, towels, etc. in vacuum bags. Don't know how easy these are to find in Indonesia.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 09:00   #15

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Lucky Fish did a video on this just recently, including wiping the whole interior with chlorine bleach to retard mildew and bugs, as well as using moisture absorbent and mildewcide packs.

From my experience I concur with a similar approach, as well as of course thoroughly fresh water washing everything first and thoroughly drying thereafter.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat