Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 13:15   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Polyurethane on spars, one part, two part?

I am considering renewing the paint on my alum. spars. Starting small with the spreaders, then if that goes well, the booms, and finally the masts. Assuming I read the directions, do good prep work, have the right temperature, etc., would you recommend one or two part poly? Is the two part considerably touchier to apply with a brush? I read it is harder and more UV resistant. Brand? Petit Ezpoxy2? Interlux Perfection? Thanks!

The masts I will have to paint outside. The others I can do in the shed or the garage. Where the masts are it is highly unlikely that I could get my painter in there to spray, so it will have to be brushing or nothing at this point. The existing white paint has not failed, just getting old and dingy.

I read this thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-110747.html

And I'm probably of the persuasion of Krogansailer. I doubt I would ever get to a point of stripping the mast and "doing it right." Definitely do not have the budget of Flight Plan or the time of Rhapsody. But if the consensus is "Don't touch the masts until you can do it right" then I would ponder that. Thanks.
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:37   #2

Boat: Seaton Durbeck 48
Re: Polyurethane on spars, one part, two part?

I applied Interlux Perfection six years ago on my mast, boom, and spreaders and it still looks as good as the day it was applied, but be prepared to properly prep, prime, and apply at least two coats. Takes time and some sanding, but the end result is well worth the effort.
ontno1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polyurethane