Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2019, 12:07   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Old topic but need some reassurance/guestimates

I walked across the deck and heard some cracking and was horrified to see these hairline cracks in the deck. Of course am jumping to the immediate conclusion that all the deck around the chainplates needs to come out, new wood put in and re-glassed.

Anybody care to calm my concerns? Anybody have a "bigger than a breadbasket" estimate of cost?

https://imgur.com/m9iIq3h
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 19:40   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Old topic but need some reassurance/guestimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
I walked across the deck and heard some cracking and was horrified to see these hairline cracks in the deck. Of course am jumping to the immediate conclusion that all the deck around the chainplates needs to come out, new wood put in and re-glassed.

Anybody care to calm my concerns? Anybody have a "bigger than a breadbasket" estimate of cost?

What is your yacht's construction?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 19:53   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Does the deck feel squishy? Do you see any sign of leaks around chainplates? Do you see any sign of corrosion or rot on the bulkheads? I couldn’t see the cracks, but I’m on my phone. Don’t rip the boat apart yet. I have many cracks in the gel coat of my ol boat that will never leak.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 23:45   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Can you tell us what the construction of your deck is? (What it is mage of)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 07:26   #5

Boat: Beneteau 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Does the deck feel squishy? Do you see any sign of leaks around chainplates? Do you see any sign of corrosion or rot on the bulkheads? I couldn’t see the cracks, but I’m on my phone. Don’t rip the boat apart yet. I have many cracks in the gel coat of my ol boat that will never leak.
I am fairly certain that its a plywood core construction. (is there a way to confirm construction) The cracks are hard to see on a phone but there are two thin cracks running parallel and 4" off the toe rail. They may have been caused by hitting a piling or maybe because of weakening core around the chain plates.

I think I can get a photo of the underneath or at least close to see what's going on there.

I'm hearing them crackle under foot so I suspect its just going to get worse over time and ultimately let water in.

I'm being a little fussy (maybe too fussy) over this because I fully intend to sell this and trade up in 2 years and I want to keep as much value it it as possible.

Thanks for all the help. I think will aid my conversations with the pro's
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 08:53   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

could be nothing, a result of hitting a piling cracking the core material, over-stressed deck caused by rigging not properly tentioned (too loose or too tight) or simple stress cracks from repeated loading. Guessing based on one picture won't help you much.

This needs to be looked at by someone who can tell the difference.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 08:56   #7

Boat: Watkins 29

My old Watkins, a coastal cruiser, has tons of cracks all over the deck and cockpit seats, but none of them leak. theyre cracks int he gel coat that was improperly applied at the factory... My boat is 32 years old and still dry as a bone.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 10:36   #8

Boat: Bayfield 36

How about a quick check with the least amount of damage. Drill a 1/4" hole in the areas you suspect problems. Look at the condition of the material coming out. Dry sawdust is good. Mushy sawdust not so good. Smell the material and if it smells like ammonia, well you your going to be grinding some deck back to get to areas that are not damaged
Bluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 10:50   #9

I cant see crack in the pic. Are they just hairline? Those are often just gel coat cracks not the actual layup. Gel is very brittle and flexing or expansion contraction cracks it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 10:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejacket View Post
How about a quick check with the least amount of damage. Drill a 1/4" hole in the areas you suspect problems. Look at the condition of the material coming out. Dry sawdust is good. Mushy sawdust not so good. Smell the material and if it smells like ammonia, well you your going to be grinding some deck back to get to areas that are not damaged
... and you can most often do this below decks so you don't open it up to water ingress....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 11:15   #11

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Obviously you have concerns.
So spend $100 and have a boat builder you trust to come and take a good look.
Once you know the facts you can make a decision as to the degree of repair, if any, you'll undertake.

Pointless asking people on the internet.

And you've supplied nil information about the boat; doesn't help.

But if I were the owner, and I planned on selling her soon, I'd be out there with a grinder, and small cans of fibreglass and paint.
Have those cracks disappear in an afternoon.
Old 23-10-2019, 12:10   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

But the OP said he could hear crackling there. From just stepping there. That suggests movement. I bet the cracks are deep enough to allow water ingress at this point. Imho, he will have to take a look at it, and that means grinding back the gelcoat and seeing what's going on underneath. It may or may not need removal of a portion of the deck. If wet chain plate area were the problem, I'd expect to see cracks there. Agree he needs to find out if there is wet deck there. And fix before it starts freezing.

Ann
Old 24-10-2019, 07:16   #13
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:

Call in a highly reputable fibreglass guy.

For that single localized area, if you just authorize them to inspect it at their convenience when walking by the boat, if you don’t waste their time, the inspection will likely be free.

Could be nothing; may require extensive surgery.

Nobody here can tell you otherwise.

It’s a boat.

Boats require maintenance and service.

Some issues lend themselves well to DIY, others, not so much.

If you don’t possess the tools and skills to accurately assess, call in a pro, rather than asking strangers with no skin in your game.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 13:20   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@tmacmi:

If you add the type of boat you have to your avatar, people who are familiar with it will be able to offer more specific advice....

With winter coming on, you will have problems when it's cold, getting epoxy to harden fast enough. Short work days. It could go to having to take the mast out and having the boat in a heated shed for the work. Sorry, no idea what costs would be, in your area.

You need to decide if you want to do the job yourself, under the instruction of a boatwright, or if you want someone else to do the job.

I'm only guessing, here, mostly based on your report of being able to hear it move, but I have a feeling you really don't want water to get in there and freeze over the winter, so I think you will want to talk to someone qualified, soonest. For those who haven't thought about it, the water expands when it freezes, and it can separate plywood layers.

Ann
Old 24-10-2019, 14:42   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I am fairly certain that its a plywood core construction. (is there a way to confirm construction)
Maybe if you mentioned what kind of boat it is.