Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2017, 13:02   #1

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft
Ok to cut into/off fiberglass benches?

I am looking at buying a 33' boat new that comes with 2 beds in a midcabin berth. The problem is that I do not want the beds, but they are actually molded into the fiberglass.

In other words the beds are fiberglass boxes molded as part of the interior shell and just have matresses on top of them. They have no storage compartments or anything, they are just platforms. The dealer says there is nothing inside the bed platforms, just empty space.

I don't want the beds. I would rather have the space for storage, or maybe a desk.

Can I just get a sawzall or rotozip and cut the platforms off and fill the space as I see fit, or will there be issues with doing that?
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 13:17   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Ok to cut into/off fiberglass benches?

What is the boat?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 13:53   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Easy answer is, No problem, that type of stuff is just a liner.

Hard answer, It depends. What is the boat and how is the hull/liner constructed? Are the boxes structural in any sort of hull stiffening way?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 14:04   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

A sailboat hull fresh out of the mold is amazingly flexible adding the interior gives considerable strength and rigidity. If the liner is attached to the hull at all I would say it is structural and modifications should be approached with great caution.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 14:21   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_ed View Post
A sailboat hull fresh out of the mold is amazingly flexible adding the interior gives considerable strength and rigidity. If the liner is attached to the hull at all I would say it is structural and modifications should be approached with great caution.
+1

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 14:27   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

If the liner provides some structural support, and it may, the simple solution is to create a ring that replaces the lost strength and is well bonded that to the inside lip. The ring will contain about the same amount of material as what you removed. Variations on this (reinforcing plates) are common practice on refinery equipment and large oil tanks. Adding bulkheads inside can also help.

The bottom line, however, is that you must understand the structure or have your plans reviewed by someone who does. I have seen serious problems result from weakening a liner with holes.

Remember that you need at least one berth that can be used underway. That isn't a V berth.
Old 29-12-2017, 14:40   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

Issues ? Taking a sawzall to a new boat ? You should wait until the warranty expires maybe.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 15:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Issues ? Taking a sawzall to a new boat ? You should wait until the warranty expires maybe.
Geez, I have to admit I missed the part about this being a purchase of NEW boat...

Maybe you should just buy a different boat with a cabin layout more suited to what you want? And who builds a sailboat with inaccessible empty space?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 15:42   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

How new? New like waiting for build? If so, maybe builder will modify for you. That would be the cleanest solution and you get their structural input too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 15:47   #10

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
How new? New like waiting for build? If so, maybe builder will modify for you. That would be the cleanest solution and you get their structural input too.
I asked them about this but the dealer just said it would be "expensive" because it would require them to change their mold. These are guys who charge $1000 for cupholders and stuff like that so expensive means EXPENSIVE.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 15:52   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
I asked them about this but the dealer just said it would be "expensive" because it would require them to change their mold. These are guys who charge $1000 for cupholders and stuff like that so expensive means EXPENSIVE.

That sounds more like the dealer is t interested in asking the builder....,I would contact the builder directly.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 15:53   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
Oh well, it would be the ideal solution, but at a price. Maybe sail it somewhere that rates are low and modify it there.

Hopefully the builder would at least answer some related questions for you...after all you are dropping some bucks with them.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 17:37   #13

This is about the same as saying, "I am buying a new SUV, but I really want a pickup truck, Can I just cut the back off?"

About the only good reason for paying the premium a brand new boat brings is so you can have it customized to exactly what you want. The only answer that makes sense here is find the boat you really want.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 17:56   #14

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Talk to the builder.
If you can't get in contact, or get the runaround, find another boat !
You are the boss here. They need YOUR money.
Don't get pushed around by BS from the dealer.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 09:11   #15

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I see no reason at all why you can not / should not cut an access hole into this molded bunk. I would be more concerned about having a boat with any inaccessible spaces lest you hole the hull etc. Besides being a waste of precious space.

Two considerations: (1) I would frame any hole you plan to cut out in order to land a cover on or consider an off the shelf flush hatch. (2) If bilge water has any means of sloshing into this area when heeling, consider either waterproofing the space or making your holes large enough for watertight containers.

Note: a Saws-all is not your best option.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, fiberglass