Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2010, 23:12   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Finished the install of the new Yanmar this weekend and started it up. Everything works!
Did forget to open the valve for the raw water inlet but caught it right away.

BUT, I didn't like the looks of the old fuel lines so I bought new ones. I attached the ends of the new ones to the old ones to pull them thru under the cabin sole. They were a little bigger in diameter (USCG approved). I pulled them half way thru and they got stuck. I can't even pull them back out now, so guess what?

I'll have to pull up the teak-holly flooring and cut a hole in the sub-floor to access the passage way for the new hose.

I'll take a cooked impeller any day over this.
Old 20-04-2010, 09:40   #17

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
wait a minute

Well, from following your various posts I kind of thought we would need a notice to mariners that you were gonna be out there pretty soon. Glad to hear the engine runs.

Can you see the spot where it's binding? If not, before you tear up the sole (I am envisioning hammers and wreaking bars) see if you can find an optical snake to use. Plummers and electricians frequently have them. See if it's a hose clamp hanging up or some such thing. That might be better than extended carpentry.

The trees are all out. It's time to finish all this up and get going.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 10:11   #18

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
The fresh water system at my dock was finally repaired so for the first time, I put a few gallons of water into my potable water tank.

Then, I attempted to use the sink pump. (Fynspray WS63) Nothing, nada, zip. I consult the exploded diagram. It states to check that the line isn't clogged first. Without clearly thinking, I took the hose off and tried to siphon by mouth from the potable water tank. I damn-near poisoned myself with a mouthful of foul water with green, grass-like crap growing in it. Luckily I didn't swallow any and spat it into the bilge.

The sink pump's rubber diaphram cup has shrunk and will not draw a suction because it's too small in the bore of the pump. Next, I ripped the top off of the tank and I'm in the process of scrubbing it clean, replacing the supply hose and the sink pump (or the diaphram).

Blech.
Old 20-04-2010, 10:16   #19

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
Ok....now this one hurts...my marina has a pretty bad current and is in the channel of the largest cruise ship port...wave action worked loose the dock lines and the base of the backstay struck the concrete dock. (this is a two-year-old stay). This bent the swaged-on end of the stay, essentially destroying it....ouch!
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 11:45   #20

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
OK - the big one is that boat coming in next door wasn't looking where he was going and caught the bow of our davits-hung dinghy in his stanchions. His big boat is okay but our GRP dinghy has taken a hit and we don't know yet quite how bad it is. It's probablay all fixable but a couple of days work.

Oh yeah - self inflicted misery! I lost the mizzen topping lift and had to do battle with the annoying sheave at the top of the mast. And we've completely drained and cleaned our binnacle compass as the oil was so fllthy we couldn't read it - this job is not yet complete and we'll be doing a write up on its success (we hope). In the meantime we found our Wasi ball swivel had lost a grub screw so Pip bought a new one, then lost it so we only finally got that sorted today.

But hey - engine checks went well.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 12:37   #21

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
I broke the water faucet on the galley sink. Now, I have to take the base apart and remove it from the galley top, then go and buy another one. The trouble is that the lower screw is hidden behind the sink.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 12:51   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I got the *@&(@) drain out. I cut the flange nut off with a cutting wheel. Yeah, it is so easy to get up under there AND see what you are doing. One day my neck will straighten out.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 13:05   #23

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
" ...maintaining and fixing a sailboat is like maintaining a helicopter, 3 hours work for an hour of sailing (flying)". quote from retired navy chief (sailing buddy).
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 22:27   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
After reading this thread I'm SELLING!!!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote