Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 12:13   #1
gwy

Boat: Paceship32
Odd Sized Custom Ports?

Hello All,

Seeking information on where/how to obtain odd sized ports. This is for an older boat (Paceship 32) being restored. The ports are odd sizes and we would like to keep those shapes as opposed to changing the cabin sides. I recall, or think I recall, at one time reading about a company that would custom make ports from templates -frankly can't remember it's too damn cold (ah Maine Wintahs!) to have clear recollections so thought maybe some of the warm folks might have clearer recollections! Any information regarding the company/companies that do this type of work would be appreciated. Please post replies here.

Thank you,

Greg.
gwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 13:03   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Odd Sized Custom Ports?

Are these opening port lights, or dead lights or what?

Either way you can have custom sizes made. There are companies that make custom deadlights and sliding/opening port lights for for the commercial sector, and both Hood and NFM will make custom sized port lights if you need that style.

At the last boat show">Annapolis Boat Show there was an exhibitor who made custom deadlights and I grabbed a fistful of brochures for some folks I know who were contemplating new ports but I don't remember their name. Might have been Pacific Coast Marine.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 13:22   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

You can try these guys
Boat and Yacht Castings<meta name="keywords" content="marine castings, boat castings, bronze castings, bronze marine castings, bronze struts">
Old 16-02-2015, 16:09   #4
gwy

Thank you for the response, much appreciated. These are fixed ports on the cabin sides of the main salon. They have been lexaned over on the outside and the goal is to remove the lexan and have ports again. The forward ones on both sides of the cabin are shaped like thin, elongated triangles, the two others oddly shaped ovals. One of which on each side want to make opening.

Greg
__________________________________________________ ___________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Are these opening port lights, or dead lights or what?

Either way you can have custom sizes made. There are companies that make custom deadlights and sliding/opening port lights for for the commercial sector, and both Hood and NFM will make custom sized port lights if you need that style.

At the last Annapolis Boat Show there was an exhibitor who made custom deadlights and I grabbed a fistful of brochures for some folks I know who were contemplating new ports but I don't remember their name. Might have been Pacific Coast Marine.
Old 17-02-2015, 05:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Greg.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 08:07   #6

What year Paceship? A few years ago we had to replace an opening port on our 1981 Tanzer26,found ou it was a Beckeson port and they still made them ,slightly different latch but a direct fit no modifications
David Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 11:56   #7

Boat: Spirit 28

Try Mark Plastics in Corona, Ca. They have a website if you Goggle them. I had 4 deadlights made for my 1981 Spirit 28 and they were perfect fit and exactly like the old one. Price was inexpensive also.
Old 17-02-2015, 12:06   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If they are in metal frames, that's one set of vendors like Newfound Metals. If they are in plastic, that's another set entirely. Mark Plastics (in Cali) has been around forever, although I have to disagree with their love of silicone seal as a bedding compound.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 13:05   #9
gwy

It is a 1973 Paceship 32 (Briton Chance Design), the ports do not open. I'll look at the Beckson Catalog and see if they have anything that fits.

Thanks for that tip.

Greg.

Tags
ports, size