Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2018, 01:19   #61

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30
Re: Newbie, curious about the mystique of teak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...of course there are 1000 year old axes: they replaced the handle every50 & the blade every 100 years!
... a great point! How much would it cost to purchase such an axe, just to use it to process firewood for the winter? For the average "axe purchaser" wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy a modern carbon steel, $30 axe at the hardware store? or even a premium Granfors Bruks for $200!
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:26   #62

Boat: no boat any more

yep, WingRyder! your mistake (post 55) is to argue rationally against a wholly emotional statement & opinion (MartinR).
There is absolutely no use arguing with someone who opines that 150 years ago boats were cheaper than now...
(150 years ago a 20 year old austrian schoolteacher could build his own boat, sail it around the world in 7 years with his lady (a touristic-expert), then go live in switzerland for a year, buy a secondhand boat & sail that around the world two more times...yeah, sure, those were the days!!!)
Old 02-05-2018, 12:01   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
yep, WingRyder! your mistake (post 55) is to argue rationally against a wholly emotional statement & opinion (MartinR).
There is absolutely no use arguing with someone who opines that 150 years ago boats were cheaper than now...
(150 years ago a 20 year old austrian schoolteacher could build his own boat, sail it around the world in 7 years with his lady (a touristic-expert), then go live in switzerland for a year, buy a secondhand boat & sail that around the world two more times...yeah, sure, those were the days!!!)
Forgive my ignorance, but I am not familiar with the above story. Who was this Austrian schoolteacher?

EDIT: Okay, I am a bit slow! I see that you are from Austria, so I can assume this may be your personal story .
Old 02-05-2018, 12:31   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I was wondering if anyone was going to point this out. Teak cockpits are the bomb when it rains... a quick wipe and they are dry to sit on, as opposed to waiting for the fiberglass to slowly shed moisture.
I agree! Teak benches, cockpit flooring, as well as stern platform, is a very nice touch. It also takes advantage of teaks functionality, where it is most visible and highly useful. That level of exterior teak, IMO would be well worth keeping, and would be far cheaper to properly maintain.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:31   #65

Boat: Able 50

Personal story at 150 years ago ? He sure holds his age well.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak