Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2018, 13:22   #31

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26
Re: Newbie, curious about the mystique of teak.

Concerning the Croatia Question just have a look at a population density chart.

https://cache.eupedia.com/images/con...ensity_map.jpg

For everybody in southern germany, austria, swiss, hungry, poland, ... this is the next best cruising opportunity...
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 14:52   #32

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Untreated decks require probably less maintenance than gelcoat.
How is that? Plenty of boats kicking around with 40+ year old gelcoat that has received no maintenance.

And replacement is a form of maintenance.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 15:54   #33

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
Concerning the Croatia Question just have a look at a population density chart.

https://cache.eupedia.com/images/con...ensity_map.jpg

For everybody in southern germany, austria, swiss, hungry, poland, ... this is the next best cruising opportunity...
Doesn't hurt either that Croatia has some of the most spectacular cruising grounds on the planet.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 18:11   #34

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Teak has beauty. It dos not rot easily or when compared to other woods. It does require work, but can get by without it. It is hot. It is relatively non-slip wet or dry. It is strong (if memory serves older naval vessels, including aircraft carriers, had teak decks). It is hot in the sun. It is expensive, and even somewhat hard to get now, particularly in thicker and larger pieces. It is a real pain the the neck to maintain in bright and varnished beauty. I know I've forgotten some points, good and bad, but cannot recall what. Easy answer: put is on you list where and as you see fit, but find the right boat for your needs, wants, and budget.
Old 29-04-2018, 21:00   #35

At my age my memory may not be perfect, but, I believe that teak was first used because it does not rot in salt water. So do not use it on fresh water lakes and do not wash it down with fresh water. just let it go old and grey with dignity.

You can easily buy a boat with a balsa core deck and if water has got into that core it will turn to a black mush leaving you with a deck of two very thin layers of plastic. if the teak has been mistreated (usually with fresh water) and has to be replaced, you do not have to replace it with teak so the cost of replacement is not exactly relevant

mike
MikeDofFreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 00:38   #36

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

Teal decks in tropical Queensland are not the go at all! They are too hot, they shrink and split and look terrible. The teak decks on our Cheoy Lee 43 have been stripped off and reglassed which is more suitable in the tropics. We've retained teak in the cockpit and I wish we hadn't as I have to sand and recaulk it at regular intervals (every 3 years). Still there are them who like teak and those who don't!!
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 01:12   #37

Boat: no boat any more

@teak:
advantage: best nonskid, looks (if in good condition)
disadvantages: hot, heavy, if screwed-down absolute no-no due to wet-core-risk, very expensive to replace. the lore tells of 20 years life (if good quality). beware of teak-faced ply!
@croatia: all boat that are listed ex VAT are some sort of charter boats. I strongly contest "some-of-the-most-spectacular-cruising ground": bare rocks apart from the southermost islands. lots of rip-off & a mentality that takes some getting used-to (in 3 rtws we had our shorelines cut only once: in croatia)
you can get very competent kraut or austro-kraut people to come down & work on your boat
Old 30-04-2018, 04:49   #38

Boat: Nauticat 32

We have a lot of teak on our boat. Very nice, with the exception that we don't know yet what to do if it wears out one day (could be expensive, or require some work). We love the grey colour too. The deck changes colour depending on how wet it is. Its functionality is more important than its decorative properties. No maintenance work, except occasional rinse with water and removal of bird poo. We have a solid GRP deck, so we don't expect any problems with the teak deck screws.

Teak is better at northern latitudes. It is warm, dries fast, and is not slippery. If I was in Florida I might prefer a bright white deck to reflect all the heat out, but up in the north teak is nice. In Florida teak decks might also not last as long because of the sun and uv light.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 09:28   #39

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Agree with much that has been said, thin teak strips glued down soon prove a problem. 3/4"+ planks properly fastened provide an excellent surface and last well. The history of teak planking was to give good looks and grip when used over a wooden planked deck. Teak is very easy to work and fully durable so will not rot. The down side is that it is very expensive and quite soft so vulnerable to physical wear. The other real problem is combining teak decks with a balsa cored sub-deck. Balsa core is a nightmare if any water gets in so screwing anything to it is asking for trouble. The other problem is that if the teak and sub-deck expand at different rates due to heat or moisture you get problems with delamination and seam failure. Having had teak decks before I would only go for one that is epoxy bonded unless it was over a wooden sub-deck. If you don't like grey wood a coat of oil at the beginning and end of the season will stop that and also reduce any tendency for the wood to crack if it drys out too much
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 11:19   #40

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

A lot of great replies here! I had to step away for day or so. Sorry I have not responded, I had no idea this thread would be so active.

I guess for the most part, I will avoid teak if I can help it. I hadn't considered the weight factor of a teak deck, and would assume a deck system like that would weigh several hundred pounds.

I can see where a teak deck on a wooden, traditional boat would be a great option, but IMO, it looks a little out of place on a streamlined, white plastic boat.

Also, great info on Croatia. Sailing that region when I retire is on my list. Hopefully they will have their political issues sorted out by then. I assume buying a boat from Croatia is hit or miss, and something I may need to research further, as so many boat are available there.

Thanks to all, for the great response! I will try to go back an reply to some posts of particular interest when I get some free time.

~ Harrison.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 22:31   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
Feels a little like paying up for a leather interior on a car, knowing that the whole interior will need to be ripped out and replaced 3 or 4 times over the expected life of the car. How many people would take that deal?
That is my point exactly! It would cost me half the cost of the boat to replace the teak deck. At that point, I would probably just remove it and resurface with a non-skid surface. But there would be a substantial amount of prep work to the original deck surface, before refinishing the deck.

As you stated earlier, function over form. IMO, wood was used, centuries ago, because it was the most ductile material available. And teak was the best wood, for wear and tear, at sea. But when you buy a boat, that is made entirely of fiberglass, then put a wooden deck on it, that is kind of anachronistic, IMO. Why not stick with wooden hulls, wooden masts, hemp riggings? Technology marches on. IMO, every aspect of modern sailboats have been positively affected by technology! Sail materials, high-tech 'rope' materials, electronic navigation, AIS, Satphones, extruded aluminum masts, stainless steel riggings, etc. As I explore and learn, I am gobsmacked by the level of technology available on modern sailboats. They get lighter, stronger, and more efficient each passing year. It is impressive that boats have become so reliable, that someone of modest income, can afford a boat that is capable of crossing the globe! I am curious, how many middle-class people, crossed the globe a century ago... compared to today.... I digress.
Old 30-04-2018, 22:53   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
I have minimal teak on my boat, and even that is too much work. I would never want teak decks.
Thanks for your response, I am curious about the cockpit teak as well. the benches and flooring drain [sorry, I don't know the sailing terms for all of these parts], is there a better alternative? Apparently, there is no more 'old growth' teak left. So that begs a few questions: How environmentally responsible IS teak, is it a renewable resource? (I'm not a treehugger, and I realize that EVERYTHING humans do, leaves an environmental footprint), but carbon-based products are far more sustainable than old-growth trees... I love working with wood, but I mostly build stuff from pine... which is a soft and fairly renewable wood. I don't know much about it, but there is a reason that mahogany, oak, and other hardwoods are soooo damn expensive, and pine is cheap. Hardwoods are typically VERY slow growing trees, and the demand is very high! I have been looking into bamboo, the ultimate building material.

Could it be possible to replace the 'essential' teak pieces with bamboo? Just a thought...
Old 30-04-2018, 23:19   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogern View Post
Teak is hands down the best non-skid you'll find, and if you don't love it to death will last a long time. My 46 year old schooner is covered in teak, including teak decks and I love the boat, teak and all. But I'm lucky in that the PO installed an all new, 1/2" Teak Decking Systems deck in the late 90's. I couldn't begin to afford such a project, and wouldn't consider an older boat with original teak decking. If you don't love teak, steer clear, if you do, welcome the club.
Rogern, thanks for your response. I think that teak is a beautiful match for your boat, in style and beauty. I am looking for a more modern "plastic" boat, and I just feel that it looks out of place. You have a beautiful classically styled yacht, and teak is a beautiful choice for your boat. In fact, a fiberglass deck would look a bit, out of place, on a boat like yours!

I realize that some of the folks here, have enough money, so as not to worry about these kind of costs, but I make a modest income, and I am looking carefully at long-term maintenance costs. Especially after I retire. I just don't think I can afford to add a teak deck into the equation, especially considering that MOST of the ~20yo fiberglass boats, in my price range, will need re-decking fairly soon.
Old 30-04-2018, 23:31   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
It is good non skid and comfortable for bare feet, and it holds the A1 for traditional appearance of boats. But its a royal pita for time effort and money.

If Mads on Sail Life got rid of his teak deck it just shows you what the real practical options are for a dilapidated teak deck. Either start again, or get the whole lot off. In doing so the boats deck will be a whole lot lighter.

The infamous leaky teaky's are another case in point. As the decks fail the plywood decks below also fail and if unattended too it quickly turns the boat into a wreck.

All that said, Zaya has quite a bit of teak trim about her, which Im thinking at least some of it should go.
I'm glad to see that someone else here, watches SailLife! Mads boat has some major issues, most of which were caused by leaks. I wonder how much of his boat soul problems (which he has yet to properly address) were caused by water saturation in the dilapidated deck. The massive job of removing and refinishing his deck has made me very cautious about embracing teak.

You also bring up a great point! The weight savings, of getting rid of all that wood, is substantial! The teak deck on that boat must have weighed hundreds of pounds.
Old 30-04-2018, 23:45   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmaine View Post
Interesting thread. I have a 1965 Dutch Van Lent TSMY 51ft with teak decks which I bought 14 years ago. After a few years it became clear that the original teak decks required replacement. They were 1 inch thick and and screwed from below. To replace the decking required removal of all the interior ceilings, cleaning and rust proofing the steel stringers upon which the teak was fixed and then fixing 1/2 inch marine ply and 1/2 inch teak decking on top. We used single lengths of teak with no unsightly joints and the whole process took two men a year and cost over €100,000. However I have the satisfaction of knowing it’s a proper job that should last another 40 years minimum. You get what you pay for!
JHFC! That is WAY above my paygrade! Good on you, for maintaining the integrity of your boat, but I could NEVER afford that!

Tags
teak