Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2017, 00:25   #16

Re: New finish for bulkheads

Another option which you actually hinted yourself, is to glue on 3mm oak plywood. This plywood treated with some kind of whitewash before final treatment with oil would both give a much brighter feel and still keep the "wood feeling", far better than the hard and somewhat artificial impression of formica. Another visual change you could make with this method is to change the orientation of the wood structure in the ply from vertical to horizontal as you now can see in more modern sailboats. In my 1980 vintage sailboat with vertical teak plywood and teak trims, I have changed all over with whitewashed oak with horizontal orientation and I ended up with a cheerier brighter interior instead of the old gloomy dark basement feeling. Combining a new brighter interior with modern LED lights have dramatically changed the interior of my boat designed and build in the days when there less use use of daylight through a lot of deck hatches and window panels.
Groathill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 01:35   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I'm with those that caution against too much formica. Our boat has too much, it's ok in small amounts but feels cheap and nasty in the big sections.

In fairness, it is VERY practical. But I suspect the weight would be a problem on a tri.
Old 22-08-2017, 05:56   #18

Boat: Adams 28, 8.7m

Check out Flotex. A very high teck product. Read fully its technical attributes. I have used it for 27yrs, sole carpet, panelling, headliner, with a vast range of colours/patterns. It gives a "different" finish.
Patrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 07:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I'm with those that caution against too much formica. Our boat has too much, it's ok in small amounts but feels cheap and nasty in the big sections.

In fairness, it is VERY practical. But I suspect the weight would be a problem on a tri.
About the weight, yes that is an issue. Off course we would like to keep the weight down, and if there are good options we would consider that.

How about adding vinyl panels? Maybe in some combination with other material.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 04:05   #20

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
We are right now in a total super refit, here in Mexico, of our 44 ft trimaran.
Planning to put new finish to the bulkheads. We want to brighten it up and have been thinking of adding formica.

Has anyone here put formica on the bulkhead? Did you first apply the formica to a thin plywood or directly onto the bulkhead?

Do you have any other suggestions what to use?
Depends where. If the bulkhead is in a utility area such as the galley, then a lightly textured melamine laminate such as Duropal or Formica might be appropriate. Then you would fix direct with an impact adhesive.

If however, the bulkhead is in the saloon area, then consider a vinyl-faced effect with wide strips of thin ply fixed to the existing bulkhead horizontally. This can look very swish.

Just some ideas to consider.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head