Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2007, 07:34   #1

Boat: Tayana 37 MKII
pirate Mounting Scuba Tanks on My Lady?

Hi all...

My lady is a Tayana 37, with sissy bars about the mast. I am an avid diver, and want a method for mounting a couple of tanks somewhere on board.

What have others done? Is there anyone you can recommend for fabrication work near Punta Gorda/Fort Meyers Florida?

Thanks...Johnny
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 21:39   #2

Boat: Tayana 37 MKII
C'mon...How about a pic or someones mount?

How about at the mast sissy bars the previous owner mounted?
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:20   #3

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Johnny check out these links. Might help.

Tips and Techniques
Tips and Techniques

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:30   #4

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
tank storage

Hmmm, as I've never had to do it yet but am planning on it. I was thinking about placing them in ring around the base of the mast. The only two issues I see with this is that 1) it places them in the sunshine (and in view of all the neighbors and potential thieves) a good bit of the day unless covered, and 2) where would you move them in a blow?

Also do you have a compressor onboard or are you just storing tanks and how many?

Since I only have two tanks personally, I was seriously considering storing them in lazerette locker and constructing a locking tank rack so there would be no movement in rough motion. My biggest fear is having one of those boys get loose and go through something important (like me trying to catch it).

I've been considering the option of a small compressor just so I don't keep having to pay $8 everytime I want a fill and I can keep a minimum number of tanks on board that way also. That raises lots of other issues, but for a seperate thread.

2divers
Old 05-03-2007, 07:48   #5

Boat: Creekmore 40
I got rid of my tank...just too cumbersome..And carrying it..."not to mention 2 on a sailboat? and my boat 40 Ft.//what are my benefits...a 30 minute dive...?...and then I got to fill em..So I'm back to a dive shop where I can rent and refill.

Which leads me to what I have..I copied the rig of one of the divers in a marina I stayed in..who bottom cleans boats...

Went to home depot bought for 100 bucks a Husky easy air to go small compressor...weighs about 15 lbs...small in line filter 8 bucks "easy stowage" Went to my Dive shop..had them fabricate the fittings on high pressure air hose..50 ft...I would probably get a larger hose..attach my 2nd stage regulator...plug the compressor to electrical outlet....35 PSI on regulator...and have all the air I want...Use my generator..even my inverter at sea...My range of course is limited..But if I need to dive under boat or at ancorage I have the capability..and don't have to worry about tanks.

Nothing new just an inexpensive hooka rig that works well..

Not convincing the die-hard set on a tank ...I would take a good look on tank rack set ups on dive boats..and fabricate a wall rack...putting it in a door..This way easy to mount..Tank secure and away from elements.

Finding a good secure place for an air tank on sailboat is like employing a bull in a china shop.
Tom967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scuba