Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2014, 11:32   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Long rubber propane lines okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Well, it's official. I' ve checked with every plumbing supply place in this nation. Nobody even knows what I am talking about. They keep trying to sell me 'yellow hose' at 48 cents a foot. I don't know exactly what their yellow hose is, I looked at a sample and it's just some polyurethane looking stuff, no fabric in it, nothing but the plastic. Thin plastic.

I DO know that whatever I need won't cost forty eight cents a foot in a nation with a 46% import duty.
You need to go to the local gas supply / propane equipment supply company.
Any of those people can make up the hose with the proper fittings and it's not expensive. The last one I bought was about five years ago in Toronto and I think it was about $50 for a 21' length with the fittings already crimped on.
Old 18-03-2014, 12:40   #47
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Any of those people can make up the hose with the proper fittings and it's not expensive. The last one I bought was about five years ago in Toronto and I think it was about $50 for a 21' length with the fittings already crimped on.
Don't take this wrong, but no, they don't. Not here. They sent me to the guy who wants to sell me plastic vinyl hose. There are NO regulations here about hooking up LP gas. You can use whatever you want. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone use garden hose. And there's not a thing ANYone can do about it.

But I'm not putting it inside the boat.
Old 18-03-2014, 12:53   #48

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Well, it's official. I' ve checked with every plumbing supply place in this nation. Nobody even knows what I am talking about. They keep trying to sell me 'yellow hose' at 48 cents a foot. I don't know exactly what their yellow hose is, I looked at a sample and it's just some polyurethane looking stuff, no fabric in it, nothing but the plastic. Thin plastic.

I DO know that whatever I need won't cost forty eight cents a foot in a nation with a 46% import duty.
Canibul, are you sure that "yellow hose" isn't corrugated stainless tubing (CSST)? That's what I was thinking of using, and that's the color the sheathing usually comes in.
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 13:25   #49

In the UK I've only seen orange/red outer hose with black layer inside. I've seen 2 sizes, (about) 5/8 and 3/4" outer, 1/4 and 5/16" inner. There may be more sizes and types, I don't know.
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 13:29   #50
One of Those

I wish. I called them and asked for CSST and they didn't know what I was talking about. He kept saying "Yellow Hose, yellow hose, everybody uses it here. " So I asked how much for 100 ft. and he said $48. I was pretty sure that you couldn't even get cheap Chinese knock off csst at $ 0.48 per foot. Especially not here.

So I went down to take a look, despite my 99.9% sureness factor. And yeah, it was just yellow plastic hose. I looked at the cut end of it, and the single layer of plastic is the entire hose in cross section. No corrugated stainless or anything else at all. Not even a woven fabric. There are no regulations of any kind here, so I could certainly use it if we wanted to. But I guess I've turned into a pansy in my old age.

but when people are quoting me about $2 a foot in the US for CSST...if this stuff was good for the application, you would be buying it for around twenty cents a foot in the USA. What I wouldn't give for a Home Depot or Lowes here.
Old 18-03-2014, 13:37   #51

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Hehe! That was my best laugh of the day! I have yet to see a "proper hose and fittings" anywhere throughout the Caribe. They hook up propane using anything they find - plastic straws, if they can find nothing else. You go to a gas company in most places and they are using clear vinyl hose to fill tanks.

And that is in the more advanced Caribe - the T&C's are probably stringing together paper straws for propane hoses...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 13:43   #52

Quote:
... But I guess I've turned into a pansy in my old age.

but when people are quoting me about $2 a foot in the US for CSST...if this stuff was good for the application, you would be buying it for around twenty cents a foot in the USA. What I wouldn't give for a Home Depot or Lowes here.
Yup, your a pansy alright, but cheer up, like my granddaddy used to say, "Pansies live longer than wild flowers ever will".

Speaking of Home Depot, they sell their 75' roll of CSST for about $170.00 here, so you're right on the money.

The forum should set up a Floating Supply Network for people like you who live in desirable but poorly serviced areas. This said, count me out. There's no way my 40-tons and 2-ft freeboard are leaving the ICW, even on a good day.

Jacques
Old 18-03-2014, 14:11   #53
One of Those

Good idea. anyone want to bring us down a couple nice stand up paddle boards?

I see Neeltje is in St. Augustine. I could use about half of Sailor's Exchange down here. Any half.

Last year I bought my wife one of those big wooden hammock stands, had it shipped down UPS in time for Christmas. Ouch.

That $200 hammmock stand only ended up costing me a little over $900. I guess the good news is that it was delivered to the house, at least.

and she never uses it.

This year I smartened up. Bought her a ukulele.
Old 18-03-2014, 16:25   #54

Quote:
Good idea. anyone want to bring us down a couple nice stand up paddle boards?

I see Neeltje is in St. Augustine. I could use about half of Sailor's Exchange down here. Any half.

Last year I bought my wife one of those big wooden hammock stands, had it shipped down UPS in time for Christmas. Ouch.

That $200 hammmock stand only ended up costing me a little over $900. I guess the good news is that it was delivered to the house, at least.

and she never uses it.

This year I smartened up. Bought her a ukulele.
I feel your pain. I don't know what I'd do without the Sailors Exchange. This said, you're far from feeling mine when it comes to shipping Christmas presents. I've got a daughter and 3 grandkids in France, and another daughter with child in New Caledonia.

I sent my New Caledonian granddaughter a Concertina (small accordion) for Christmas, and now, for her birthday, she wants me to send her a music teacher that actually knows how to play it...

Jacques
Old 18-03-2014, 18:52   #55
One of Those

Voila:

Old 18-03-2014, 21:17   #56

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Don't take this wrong, but no, they don't. Not here. They sent me to the guy who wants to sell me plastic vinyl hose. There are NO regulations here about hooking up LP gas. You can use whatever you want. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone use garden hose. And there's not a thing ANYone can do about it.

But I'm not putting it inside the boat.
In defense of 3rd world countries...

They usually don't have cellars under their homes, and most are only single-deck dwellings, right? And propane being heavier than air just flows from a leak, down to the floor, then out the door, right? So yellow hose? No problem!

Sorry, sorry....

Anyway, I think you'll be best off using FedEx or UPS to fly in the right flex-tubing and do the install properly. Bite the bullet time on import taxes. Gnash teeth as you will.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 00:14   #57

If you are still chasing LPG hose, this is the stuff to order. Meets ABYC requirements.

After a lot of chasing we found the same hose with an Australian Standard number on it (cost a bit more, I guess the Au certification cost had to b recovered), and when I brought my boat back to Australia from the USA at least the hose was passed as compliant. But I needed new regulator and solenoid shutoff as the new USA ones did not have the magic Australian standard number. Still, a good outcome as the hose installation is the labor intensive bit. Obviously just one length, no joins etc but the OP indicated he was aware of those things. Order it with the ends crimped on - putting the ends on and staying compliant is not a DIY project, the right tools are required for it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LPG Hose - SS25UL | Parker NA.pdf (100.5 KB, 85 views)
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 03:33   #58

Quote:
Thanks Canibul! I'll pass it along to her, although I fear she might have a slight problem with the brogue, seeing as she doesn't speak a word of English (yet)...
Old 19-03-2014, 06:00   #59
One of Those

What? sorry about that. all you Europeans sound alike to me.
Might be able to find a French version.
I bought my wife a ukulele for Valentine's Day. She's now had it just three weeks. She had never played a string instrument before. She found some online video tutorials, and is playing a lot of stuff. Led Zepplin, for example. Just when you mistakenly think you know a woman...

I'm going to do the same for my new fiddle. the online lessons, I mean.

Now is this thread drift, or what?
autohijack?

Back on track, I have been following up on every link you guys have posted. I have gotten quotes for 100 ft. lengths of hose plus a dozen connectors and a tee. quotes have varied from under $ 100 to over $1200 for this propane hose. No kidding.

Thanks for the help. We're not going cheap cheap cheap on this boat. not doing $1200 either. That piece of hose and the fittings would cost me about $1900 by the time I had it in my hands. Obviously, I am not going with the high end.

I will need a hose I can terminate myself. I am not concerned about US or Australian compliance at all. I don't plan to sail anywhere near those places and the compliance factor is not really relevant from what I can see. This boat has been through at least four surveys that I know of, by USA surveyors, and has been USCG documented for it's entire life. Didn't stop someone from selling it to me like this in the good old USA.
I am concerned about doing it right and having a safe boat for a long time.
Old 19-03-2014, 07:16   #60
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
If you are still chasing LPG hose, this is the stuff to order. Meets ABYC requirements.

After a lot of chasing we found the same hose with an Australian Standard number on it (cost a bit more, I guess the Au certification cost had to b recovered), and when I brought my boat back to Australia from the USA at least the hose was passed as compliant. But I needed new regulator and solenoid shutoff as the new USA ones did not have the magic Australian standard number. Still, a good outcome as the hose installation is the labor intensive bit. Obviously just one length, no joins etc but the OP indicated he was aware of those things. Order it with the ends crimped on - putting the ends on and staying compliant is not a DIY project, the right tools are required for it.
way too big. 5/8" id. I see that Parker makes 1/4" id hose, but I seem to be unable to connect with any of their distributors as listed in their links. Will keep trying, at least until I can get a price on a hundred feet of it.

Tags
propane