Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2017, 04:26   #16

Re: Linex spray for boats? Yay or nay

My boats are a 76 san juan 26 and a 76 carver 26(rounded) santacruz. Neither of them would have a resell value at over 6500. The trailers are worth half the valued price even if both boats are in prestine condition. There's not much to devalue. Even then, so long as whatever paint i have on it looks good i don't see potential buyers of these boats should i sell being that picky.

I would one day like to upgrade to a larger live aboard however the little lady likes animals and ill never be able to fit 3 dogs, 4 cats and a 200lbs pig on board of anything short of Noahs ark...nor do i intend on sailing with a petting zoo. I like my time onboard because i get away from most of the animals along with everything else land related. Truth be told i like maximum sized non permit required trailerable boats because i have no marina fees or launching fees. Neither boat performs like a j28 or a brand new sun bridge but they fit my plan for early semi retirement. When my kid graduates in 7 years i simply will not be working from November until May. I'm sure i can find someone in the keys nice enough to let me pay to park my vehicle and trailer on their lot while i avoid the crappy winters of South Carolina. Trailering down has to be an option. A possible inner coastal trip from myrtle may happen but the fuel economy would suck and id be broke by the time i arrived. My furthest destination is the bahamas but either boat will do that with ease so long as Im patient.

I pretty much just want durable, 10 year or more lasting paint. The sailboat stays moored all summer so a new bottom coat every 5 years are so is already a hassle. I like boating, not working on boats, even though i do all the work on my own boats. Simply put, my boats are not worth the money a yard would charge to apply a lesser lasting coat of paint. Id take that 5000 and just buy another comparable boat. Again, running my plans for early retirement.
dohcdelsol93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 21:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
Very interesting idea and one that I like for “working” boats like yours. I would think you can do this with no problems. Since you already have it on your truck, you know the possibly worst part is that it’s *too* rough. I had a friend who had the franchise here a few years ago. I don’t recall for sure, but they might be able to spray it with a different texture, where it’s still “grippy” but not so “pointy”. I’ve seen so many things LineX-ed including fiberglass trailers, I don’t know why it wouldn’t work. The owner of the shop would probably be able to tell you if he thought there might be a problem. I’m sure they wouldn’t want any problems and would give an honest opinion about it.

You could even get a color that you like and paint it when it fades in a few year.
Stick to grey, the rest of the colors fade.
sazarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 22:24   #18

There is a commercial marine grade version of linex but its purpose is for what linex was originally designed for which is to protect the steel below from wear and corrosion. to make it work right the steel below has to have no corrosion what so ever if not the linex will cause moisture to build up below it and cause rust where you cannot keep track of it. As for putting it on fiberglass there are a lot of paints out there that can do an even better job of protecting your boat or acting as non-skid for a whole lot less money.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 22:06   #19

Boat: Alberg 30

Yep, we do it occasionally. Looks miles better than the roll on kiwigrip(I've asked them if I can spray it, but they always tell me the roll on looks great I have yet to see a kiwigripped boat that looked as nice, especially in narrow areas and haven't bothered to buy a can to play with yet, as a general rule I find 2 part and toxic = more better )
The gun to spray it is a schutz gun, not all are created equal, and more expensive does not mean better, I generally spray: high pressure first and fog a light coat on, respray again with low pressure and shorter range for more spatter, and finish with another higher pressure farther back coat to blend it all in nicely, it stays how you spray it so all 3 can be sprayed at once on each section. I use a regulator just below the gun for this, set pressure for the highest you'll use using a test panel off the boat. As a general rule I found the longer the barrel the more I liked the texture. I use the tintable stuff and take a hatch to the auto shop to get a colour match.

AFTER FULL CURE: Give the deck a really good spray with a degreaser and a good scrub, it seems to have a waxy slippery coating after curing, after a degrease and scrub(or a few months of weather) it is much better.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat