Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2009, 03:21   #136
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
We now have a prime mover. Yanmar 4-JHTE. It's lightly used, 675 hrs. Comes complete with everything req'd to get it up and running including all manuals, tool kit, wiring harness, gauges, muffler, transmission etc.. $3K US so even if it needs a good overhaul (likely before we install it) we'll still be significantly below cost of a new one.

We'll be heading down to Rhode Island on the 2nd. of November to pick it up! It was this or a cruise in the Caribbean this winter. I left it up to the Admiral to decide. She chose the engine! Good Admiral!
Old 19-10-2009, 15:28   #137
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What we've spent so far. It only gets worse (or better depending on your point of view) from here.....

Spent To Date - Online Spreadsheets - EditGrid
Old 04-11-2009, 14:38   #138
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One of the key pieces to our boat build project has come home. We're now the proud owners of a lightly used and definitely not abused 4 cyl Yanmar diesel engine. Upside of the whole deal was the req't to pick it up in Rhode Island. Hmmmm? Mapquest shows 475 miles one way. Not too bad so off we go last Sunday. Picked up the engine Monday morning right on schedule then took in the exhibits at Battleship Cove.

Sorry about the quality of the pics. They don't do the scene justice.

PT Boats are HUGE!

Toured the Lionfish submarine. Remarkably bigger inside than I thought.

The Admiral on first sight of a real torpedo! Surprise!!

Look of the set of Guns on that baby! I want just one for our boat!!!

Impressive any way you look at it.

Mystic Seaport was the next stop. The Admiral doing her best Soupy Sales imitation!

There's probably $20M in lumber laying around this shipyard. If we could have tossed a few of those virgin oak planks in the U-Haul Hmmm!

I'd settle for a gun this size dear!!

We wanted to visit Orange Country Choppers in Newburg NY to pick up some x-mas presents for the kid. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

This is the Firemans bike, a tribute to the 343 firemen who lost their lives in the 9/11 tragedy. Definitely a moving memorial.

Time to relax. 1925 Kms (1200 miles) in 3 days. There's a few more pictures here...

New England Trip pictures by KnottyBuoyz - Photobucket
Old 21-11-2009, 11:48   #139
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Uh oh here we go again. Project suffers yet another setback!

I needed a new vehicle (well almost new, '07 Wrangler Extreme Sahara loaded) cause the Ole' Jimmy was in need of more expensive repairs. I liked not having a car payment but then again I need reliable transportation to get back and forth to work for the next 6 yrs. Standby.....
Old 21-11-2009, 12:04   #140
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I looked at the panel rendering above, Rick, and noticed it has M/V She:Kon on it. That made me laugh, because I call my parrot, Henry, my "Leetole Green Shekon." (Shekon being zee French-accented way of pronouncing chicken - well, for me, at least.)

Your new Jeep Wrangler looks nice!
Old 21-11-2009, 12:36   #141
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I looked at the panel rendering above, Rick, and noticed it has M/V She:Kon on it. That made me laugh, because I call my parrot, Henry, my "Leetole Green Shekon." (Shekon being zee French-accented way of pronouncing chicken - well, for me, at least.)

Your new Jeep Wrangler looks nice!
Thnx. Looking forward to picking it up on Wednesday. Anybody wanna buy an ole' Jimmy?

The poor bird is gonna need intense therapy Tao!

She:kon, pronounced "say-go" or "Shay Kone" depending on who translates (Mowhawk greeting) literally translates into English as "Do you still have the Great Peace? The Great Peace is the foundation of the Iroquois Confederacy, and the greeting is more than a casual hello. It is an earnest enquiry into the person's wellbeing. To help non-Mohawks understand this, in Judeo-Christian terms, the person who is being greeted is being asked if they are experiencing "shalom", a sense of peace that pervades one's whole body, mind and spirit. It implies wholeness and wellbeing, with oneself, others and Creation.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:51   #142
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Expensive parts are piling up!

Inventory pictures by KnottyBuoyz - Photobucket

Just a tad below $13K Cdn and we haven't even started to build the thing yet! Just added the Python P60K drive which is the first part I've paid full price for. $945 Cdn. The costs of materials can only go up from here!

Spent To Date - Online Spreadsheets - EditGrid

Planning on taking July/August off next summer to get this thing underway! Standby......
Old 14-02-2010, 03:30   #143
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Producing a couple of test panels. One with 1708 Biaxial fiberglass and the other with 20 oz multi-axial basalt fabric vacuum bagged over 1/4 cabinet grade plywood.. These will be sent to the designer (Jacques Mertens) for testing. Pending his approval we'll likely use the basalt for the hull of our boat.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:13   #144
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So for anybody that's wondering if it's cheaper to make your own power distribution panel, well forget it, just go buy one!

I thought this would be a good winter project to produce my own panel. I found a program on the Internet (Front Panel Express) which will help with the design & layout. That worked well.

I apologize for the crappy cell phone picture. For those who don't know "She:Kon" pronounced "Shay Go" or "Shay Cone" (depending on who translates) is a traditional Mohawk greeting meaning "Do you still have the great peace?".

I originally wanted to make the panel from some neat carbon fiber (Texalium) I have but after infusing the panel it became very difficult to drill the holes accurately. Front Panel Express will custom cut your panels for you from their extensive inventory of materials. I had to bite the bullet and get ours done ($180). It's 3mm anodized aluminum.

It was kinda cool to design it myself and have it cut. Fitting it out and wiring it will be a bit of a challenge (will post photos when done). I still need 3 more breakers and some fasteners before I'm finished. All tolled it'll be about $700 my cost. I could have bought a good Blue Sea panel for $500 +-. My cost includes the AC & DC switches not normally found on most panels. So if economics aren't critical it is a neat project to while away those long cold winter nights.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:53   #145
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Let the wire pullin' begin!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:26   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Very, very nice; but I wish you hadn’t used the rotary source selector switch, and instead had of used a Blue Sea Lockout Slide.
Much cheaper, & much more reliable.
Panel Accessories - Blue Sea Systems
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2010, 14:16   #147
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thnx Gord. Couldn't beat the price on this one though. My buddy is an industrial electrician and had it for years collecting dust. Oh well I'm sure it'll be ok Kraus & Naimer is a pretty good name I think), if I have to change it I will, there's room on the panel for that. I did find out (the hard way) you have to pay as much or more attention to the spacing etc. on the backside of the panel.

If I had to do it again I'd use the regular Blue Sea switch/breakers to save space. The panel is already 9" x 18" so everything here is packed pretty tight. DC circuit protection will be in an ATC fuse box (Bussman) which makes that side of things easier to wire up. I'm finding it hard to keep all the fine (22 ga i think) wires for the LED's straight. I've also got to splice some extensions which is harder with the smaller wires. Standby.....
Old 03-04-2010, 17:52   #148

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Very nice Knotty!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:04   #149
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Very nice Knotty!
Thnx SR.

There certainly is a skill and expertise to doing this kind of wiring. I can appreciate the skills required for this kind of work. I think I put this together and took it apart 3 times. It doesn't look like it but this is about 7 hrs of tinkering.......

Now having got this far and run out of parts there's not much more I can do for awhile. If I were to consider doing this again somebody stop me please!!!!

Installed the Infinite Improbability Drive switch!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology ... lity_Drive

Questions & Comments always welcome.
Old 13-04-2010, 10:40   #150
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Panel wiring diagram. Kinda messy, it was a quick & dirty.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Visio-She-Kon ACDC Dist Panel.pdf (29.4 KB, 325 views)
Closed Thread