Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2018, 14:49   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Jacksonville FL DIY yards

I need to haul out in a few months as I go down down south. I own a house in Jacksonville FL that I rent to my daughter so that’s the target spot for Thanksgiving/Christmas as I have a room there.

Any diy yards other than Green Cive Springs Marina I should look into for the combination of price/convience to Jacksonville ?
Old 30-09-2018, 20:22   #2

Boat: Dean 365
Re: Jacksonville FL DIY yards

Sadler Point Marina on Lakeside Dr. They are on the Ortega River next to the bridge at Roosevelt Blvd. They are nice folk, allow DIY or will do any part for you. They are within walking distance of restaurants, West Marine, a great used bookstore and a Publix grocery store.
Meandercp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 21:01   #3

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

We hauled this May at the St John's Boat Company for a some major work. Took the bottom down to glass, re-faired, etc, about 5 weeks. It's out on Fort George Island, just inside the channel, close to the Ferry Dock. The current is pretty wicked there (3-4 kts at peak), but the haul crew and lift operator are good.

Most of the work there is navy/cg stuff, but the yard's clean and staff helpful. Jeff their estimator, is a nice guy and easy to deal with. Kind of remote and not the best place to live aboard (although we did), but since you've got a place to stay no problem. We rented a car to get around.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandercp View Post
Sadler Point Marina on Lakeside Dr. They are on the Ortega River next to the bridge at Roosevelt Blvd. They are nice folk, allow DIY or will do any part for you. They are within walking distance of restaurants, West Marine, a great used bookstore and a Publix grocery store.

They are before the bridge? Cause he’s not getting under it, I don’t think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:10   #5

Boat: Belize 43

The St Augustine Marine Centre gave me very good, friendly service, just a short commute south from Jacksonville.
Row Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:19   #6

Boat: St. Francis, MKII, 44 ft

Would highly recommend St. John's Boat yard. Hauled my St Francis 44 this spring to redo bottom. Easy to work with, reasonably priced, will let you work on your own boat. Current is strong, be sure to plan on going into lift slip at slack tide, very important. Great nearby restaurants.
Plus Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:21   #7

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Whatever you choose do not go to the Green Cove Springs boatyard. The place is a junk yard. It is called "the boatyard of broken dreams". Most of the work area looks like a trash trailer park. Additionally theft is a major issue. Contrary to reports of theft, management assured me this was an old problem and they had taken many steps to prevent theft. I believed them and stored my boat there for the hurricane season of '17. Upon our return to the boat we found our dink motor was taken from inside the boat. No break-in they had a key! Another boat had 2 winches removed and stolen. Additionally my collapsed aluminum ladder was missing. After multiple discussions with management they "found" my ladder. I will not return!
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:05   #8
CLOD

I know exactly what’s gcs marina is olive. I spent all of dec 2016 there on a mooring. My wife is from gcs and we got married there. That is the end of pluses to the place.

Thanks for continued info on the subject , I will look into all suggestions as I travel south.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:53   #9

Boat: Dean 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They are before the bridge? Cause he’s not getting under it, I don’t think.
Sadler Point is east of (before) the bridge at Roosevelt. Anyone who can get through the bridges in downtown Jacksonville and draw less than about 8 feet can get to Sadler Point. There is one additional draw bridge. A Hunter 410 should have no issues.
Meandercp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 13:08   #10

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Oasis and Xyndies(I think) in St Augustine both used to be DIY friendly.
Old 01-10-2018, 14:26   #11

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Yes, Sadler Point, very nice people. I think the lady who works in the office is Susan. 904-384-1383. 4599 Lakeside Dr. 32210

$7.00/ft for haulout, includes launching. Pressure wash $2.00/ft, they do it only. Blocking $1.25/ft. Can rent vacuum sanders from them. Competitive pricing on materials.
Daily Storage $1.00/ft. Enviromental Charge $.50/ft

If you are going for a longer term on the hard talk with the Service Manager - David Raymer. I think they will give a better price for longer times. And other work too.

I'll be there myself sometime this winter !
Old 01-10-2018, 15:30   #12
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandercp View Post
Sadler Point is east of (before) the bridge at Roosevelt. Anyone who can get through the bridges in downtown Jacksonville and draw less than about 8 feet can get to Sadler Point. There is one additional draw bridge. A Hunter 410 should have no issues.
If it's past the hump, but I'll look into as that spot works well for us as its near my daughters work and I what to be able to use her car

I don't really know where this is so will need to look it up.

thanks
Old 01-10-2018, 15:31   #13
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I know exactly what’s gcs marina is olive.
the crap my iPad thinks I was typing
Old 01-10-2018, 15:32   #14

Boat: Morgan 34

If Fernandina Beach is not too far for you to travel there is a wonderful yard there named Tiger Point Marina. I had a very good experience there in 2013/2014. I found the rates to be very reasonable and the management fair and efficient. If interested, give them a call to inquire how much DIY they will allow. I found them to be somewhat flexible.
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 19:01   #15

Boat: 36' Cape Dory

I did the bottom paint job at Green Cove Springs 18 months ago and had no issues. I'm surprised to hear of the problems mentioned in this thread and would suggest you research a bit. My personal experience was good there. Yes, it is a bit of a graveyard, but that doesn't mean it's an awful place to work on your boat. My experience at GCS was very positive. The owner is a nice guy.

That being said, Sadler Point is a great place, but I would forwarn you that the yard there is very small. So if that's your target, make sure ahead of time they have room to accommodate you.
vonchris7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DIY, jacksonville