Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 08:56   #1

Interior-Wood Works, How To Get It Lighter?

Hi all

I almost found my perfect boat but i honestly don't like the very dark wood brown interior...

My ideal boat would have a white interior like this (white nordic style)

Scandinavia Yachts – Prestige / Comfort / Safety – Scandinavia 35

What about cover every wall-furniture (except cieling that is white and floor) with this:

PRÄRIE Pavimento in laminato - IKEA

to make it look like (more or less) the scandinavia 35....

Laminated, NOT wood, floor, no need glue...i was thinking how to attach it in vertical...and in rounding furniture is a problem, maybe with steam but not sure, looks like a glue attached to a compressed carton, on the coloured part...

For vertical or glue directly to the old furniture (even in very good condition), or nail-clove it with very small nail (just to keep it vertical, the weight, even very light, will be disharged on the floor, one over the other line)

Or wrapping all with white wood decals...but i guess i will get worn and ruined after a day...seeing the wood under it...

Or defenitely sand all the wood (except floor and cieling) and re paint it with white wood colour,(how it's called the paint that goes inside the wood and it's absorbed, like oil?) Permanent but well done work for sure.
Any other idea?
Thanks all for the answer
Stef
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:37   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Interior-Wood Works, How To Get It Lighter?

Do not glue anything to the wood, especially fabric unless you like mold and mildew! Strip it and paint it if you must.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Do not glue anything to the wood, especially fabric unless you like mold and mildew! Strip it and paint it if you must.

Thanks, any advice on white paint that keep the wood veins visible?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:08   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Thanks, any advice on white paint that keep the wood veins visible?
I think you mean the wood grain...

I you want to paint is because you want to hide the wood and grain, no?
I am not sure if there are paints that you see the grain thru it, perhaps some stains, like the Ikea sample you showed, but that would a maintenance nightmare in a wet environment.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:17   #5

Boat: Hylas 49

Paint will hide the grain. Perhaps an exterior white stain?
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:38   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Here is a link on whitewashing and pickling. Not sure how good they would work on your wood, depending on the type, but maybe this would be a place for you to start getting ideas.

Whitewashing and Pickling Techniques | Painting Ideas, How to Paint a Room or Furniture, Colors, Techniques | DIY
Old 03-02-2016, 12:57   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I agree with not adding any layers. Part of the two ton reduction in displacement we achieved with our boat has been the removal of 90% of the melamine veneers attached to various bulkheads and interior cabinetry. The encapsulated weight becomes very apparent when you are trundling it up a long jetty in the wheelbarrow.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-02-2016, 13:07   #8

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
What about cover every wall-furniture (except cieling that is white and floor) with this:

PRÄRIE Pavimento in laminato - IKEA

to make it look like (more or less) the scandinavia 35....

Laminated, NOT wood, floor, no need glue...i was thinking how to attach it in vertical...and in rounding furniture is a problem, maybe with steam but not sure, looks like a glue attached to a compressed carton, on the coloured part...

For vertical or glue directly to the old furniture (even in very good condition), or nail-clove it with very small nail (just to keep it vertical, the weight, even very light, will be disharged on the floor, one over the other line)
Quote:
Recommended for all rooms in the home except wet areas.
Maybe keep looking for your perfect boat.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 13:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I think you mean the wood grain...

I you want to paint is because you want to hide the wood and grain, no?
I am not sure if there are paints that you see the grain thru it, perhaps some stains, like the Ikea sample you showed, but that would a maintenance nightmare in a wet environment.
Yes wood grain, sorry..i did direct ita-en traduction

Add a second layer of "false wood" even nailed to the original would be quite bad idea for humidity between the 2 layer as you said...

I'm looking for something like wonder teak with white colour inside, so it get INTO the wood, brightening it but keep it looking like wood, not all white like a home's wall.

Thanks for the answer
Old 03-02-2016, 13:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Paint will hide the grain. Perhaps an exterior white stain?

Yeah!

That's it!

Sand all the wood and add this (i've found in italy) white primer for wood...it could work

Maybe a quite long and bad work but the resul i think will be very nice
Old 03-02-2016, 13:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Here is a link on whitewashing and pickling. Not sure how good they would work on your wood, depending on the type, but maybe this would be a place for you to start getting ideas.

Whitewashing and Pickling Techniques | Painting Ideas, How to Paint a Room or Furniture, Colors, Techniques | DIY

Thanks

I could try on some hidden place and see what come out
Old 03-02-2016, 13:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I agree with not adding any layers. Part of the two ton reduction in displacement we achieved with our boat has been the removal of 90% of the melamine veneers attached to various bulkheads and interior cabinetry. The encapsulated weight becomes very apparent when you are trundling it up a long jetty in the wheelbarrow.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yep humidty could be a bad problem...
Well i guess it will be max 200lbs as added weight, no more...for a 45 ft boat is noy much...
Old 03-02-2016, 13:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Maybe keep looking for your perfect boat.
I've found laminated for bathroom, wet areas...

Lol

Can't find a used 45 ft with 4 cabins, for offshore travel, white and bright inside, max 90k euro....

Only cosmetic talking the Doforu 382 grand large, with oak interior is very nice, the scandinavia 35, what else?
Old 03-02-2016, 14:51   #14

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Yep humidty could be a bad problem...
Well i guess it will be max 200lbs as added weight, no more...for a 45 ft boat is noy much...
Nothing to do with humidity in our case, just extra material. The melamine itself had not absorbed moisture, I don't think it was of a construction that could absorb moisture.

As for the added weight, I would argue ANY unnecessary weight is a bad thing. Sure, 200lbs is not a lot to a 45 footer, but as soon as you take that logic you end up with 200lbs of extra panelling, plus another 200lbs of something else, 200lbs of something else again. Before you know it you are inches lower in the waterline.

I reiterate, we have (conservatively) removed two metric tons from the boat since we bought her. None of those two metric tons were required to make the boat sail better or added in any way to the safety of the boat. They were, truly, dead-weight, that slowed us down, made us more difficult to handle and had the potential to prolong our exposure to danger should we be running from a bad bit of weather.

Keep it simple, keep it light. No additional layers, they are not your friend.

Matt
Old 03-02-2016, 15:34   #15

Use it for a while , then consider changes. ANYTHING you do that is not the norm in yachting will devalue the boat in most eyes.
I couldnt open the link, but once you start using the boat you will discover there are more than enough projects on the list.... and changing the interior will likely take a back seat to others.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior