Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2017, 13:12   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Idea for new faucets setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Have you had a problem with single levers and pressure?
My father had years ago. As I recall it required more head pressure than he had. Just a warning to look before you leap. Try it before mounting it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 14:28   #17

Boat: Tashiba-31

Here is a photo of the underside of the faucet. This one has a small nut holding a plate that clamps to the underside of the counter. I would need a really long extension to get a socket on it. I could probably do it, but I'm not sure how long before it was loose again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Faucet Underside.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	150566  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 18:41   #18

Boat: Baba 40

Too simple. Turn in your sailor card, skipper! Lol
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 21:45   #19

Have done away with hot water, and pressure sensitive pumps.
Not worth the trouble. Instead I installed those swivel outlets. No faucet or handles.
The water is supplied by a dirt cheap in line 12 V DC pump operated by a small foot switch. Fifteen years, still as new. My version has a connection to the tank bottom which means gunk does not collect there and a non return valve is not needed but you can use these in line pumps as submersibles in the water tank if required. I do have the usual carbon in line filter managing any bad tasting water. This system does not require priming.

Advantages: - conserves water as you only press the footswitch when you need water to flow - idiots can't leave the tap running when distracted. Near zero maintenance, leaves both hands free so hand washing is easier and no hygiene problems with dirty germy hands on taps. Cheap. No possibility of a line opening under pressure and emptying the water tank into the bilges. Increases surface space available around the sink.
Missus thinks I am wonderful. No pulsing pump noise. No accumulator required. Never have to replace faucet valves. Uses much less power.
Provides very specific toe exercise.

Disadvantages : - no variability with water flow. Missus wants other problems solved with such simplicity. Does not look "expensive". Missus wants the saved money spent on her.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 03:22   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Wanted to add a little height to my fresh and salt water spigots from the foot pumps so mounted them on 3/4" varnished teak blocks. They've worked great. Only issue was the threaded mount on the underside of the spigot was not long enough to go through the galley top 1/2" plywood/formica and the teak block. Drilled a hole in the galley counter big enough for the hose barb, hose, and hose clamp to feed the spigots, fastened the spigot to the teak block and screwed the teak block to the counter. You can't do this if counter top is much more than 1/2" as you won't be able to get at the hose clamps for the spigots to tighten them under the counter. A pressure wage faucet should be no problem.

Dual handle faucets are terrible water wasters if you wang other than just cold water. Really easy to train yourself to move the handle to the far left. Hot wager ain't all that precious for us in any case.

Had what I thought was an unreachable fastener on the hose spigots on my new to me boat. Working blind with slip joint pliers was able to get the nut off. A pressure water faucet should be easier as it's held on by 1/4" threaded stud that will fit a 7/16" socket. There are a number of different socket types that should work.

Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 16:06   #21

Boat: Spirit 28

For anyone looking to replace or rebuild a non-pressurized spigot, I thought this was pretty interesting:

http://windborneinpugetsound.blogspo...corrosion.html
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 16:44   #22

Love this idea... I have the wrenches... but the access is impossible. I wonder if the faucets (3... hot cold... foot pump and filtered) plus a soap dish could be mounted on a say a half inch thick piece of corian... and screwed up from below bedded in silicone?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote