Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2012, 20:16   #16

Re: Hull to Deck Joint Repair

Well I think i have some idea what to do now with respect to the repair. I should mention that I took a good look at the perimeter of the hull from underneath the deck and the boat is structurally glassed in from the bottom all around. The joint in question should have very little movement I would think. The through bolts are only to attach the teak stringers and hold the top of the hollow bulwark together. In any case on to my next question.

My skills as a carpenter are fairly limited and the thought of putting on a new cap rail is a bit daunting. I want something that is going to look nice if I am to spend the money on all that teak. Does anyone have some tips for me or some books that might help. If all else fails I may pay someone with more knowledge than I to do the job if the cost isn't isn't too prohibitive. Is there anyone with an idea of what a new cap rail on a 35 footer would run me? I am guessing with the transom there would be around 85-90 linear feet of rail and I would want it about 4.5-5 inches wide and around and inch thick....any thoughts?

Thanks Again
Jarod
jarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 20:31   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarod View Post
Well I think i have some idea what to do now with respect to the repair. I should mention that I took a good look at the perimeter of the hull from underneath the deck and the boat is structurally glassed in from the bottom all around. The joint in question should have very little movement I would think. The through bolts are only to attach the teak stringers and hold the top of the hollow bulwark together. In any case on to my next question.

My skills as a carpenter are fairly limited and the thought of putting on a new cap rail is a bit daunting. I want something that is going to look nice if I am to spend the money on all that teak. Does anyone have some tips for me or some books that might help. If all else fails I may pay someone with more knowledge than I to do the job if the cost isn't isn't too prohibitive. Is there anyone with an idea of what a new cap rail on a 35 footer would run me? I am guessing with the transom there would be around 85-90 linear feet of rail and I would want it about 4.5-5 inches wide and around and inch thick....any thoughts?

Thanks Again
Jarod
If you don't have carpenterial skills and equipment you should definitely hire a pro. It's not that demanding a job, but it does require specialized tools and skills. Fitting nice tight anchor scarfs is not something you learn overnight.
If you really want to do it yourself I'm sure we could talk you through it. It helps to have standing tools but its not really needed for this job.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 20:33   #18

Boat: OEM, proportional

Ka-ching!

Get your scrounging-boots on.....

Good news on the hull-deck join, though.
Old 29-08-2012, 11:55   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Is teak going for about $15 a board foot now? That's what it was about 15 years ago. Probably higher. I'd salvage as much as you can and then just add in whatever is messed up by removal.
kind regards,
Old 29-08-2012, 19:07   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

$23 a BF these days.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 19:19   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Minaret: "And you can get a 5 gallon bucket of it for cheap, it's easy to work with and very strong. You can pack as much or as little as you want into a crack like that"

Who can supply "fiber filler" in bulk quantities. It can't be premixed with catalyst, what kind of material is it?
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 22:03   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris07732 View Post
Minaret: "And you can get a 5 gallon bucket of it for cheap, it's easy to work with and very strong. You can pack as much or as little as you want into a crack like that"

Who can supply "fiber filler" in bulk quantities. It can't be premixed with catalyst, what kind of material is it?

I get mine from Fiberlay . In fact I get a vast quantity of laminating supplies from these guys. They are very industry oriented but don't mind serving the average Joe either. Their truck delivers to our shop twice a week and has for many years. Their resin and gelcoat is some of the best I've used. I get all my gelcoat and tints here as well as exotics like carbon/kevlar hybrids and vacuum bagging and infusion equipment. They will happily sell to you in volumes from a pint to a drum.
They have five gallon buckets of a great fiberfiller. Not too hairy, it lays down nice and slick but is just the right consistency for structural fillets and the like. I have used hundreds of gallons with no problems. It is bright blue but changes color to brownish clear after being catalyzed, which helps a lot with thorough mixing. Catalyze with regular MEKP.
I'm not seeing the fiver on their website, but I know they have them because we buy a lot of them. I'm sure if you asked they'd sell you one. I think we pay about $85 for the fiver, but that's on a merchant account of long standing and high volume. I see the gallon on the website is listed at $65. I would guess this job would take 2-3 gallons, but hard to guess without seeing it.

Fiberlay

You can get the same sort of stuff at most major industrial fiberglass suppliers, just ask for thixotropic resin. In the industry it's often called thixo for short.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hull