Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 08:04   #16

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Great thread - I have never used roller furling before and our Cal 29 came with the Hood 810 LD. It was brought to my attention that with the LD unit, you can not reef - it is all or nothing. The SL unit can be used for reefing.
How accurate is this information? I have no reason to doubt it, but before I buy the SL, I want to be sure it would be money well spent.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:09   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
According to Hood, their 810 LD is a “... LOW COST FURLING FOR NON-REEFING APPLICATIONS ...”
http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.ns...9?OpenDocument

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:49   #18

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Thanks Gord

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 17:53   #19

Reef Hood 810 Seafurl LD

Interesting. I purchased a boat with a Hood 810 Seafurl Ld about 6 months ago, and I reef the Genoa whenever I want, which is most of the time. I have a "continuous" line and cleat both sides of the line good and tight when I reef. So far no problems doing that. I wonder why Hood indicates that this should be a no reefing system?
MoncSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 18:19   #20

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
I was told my Hood and one other manufacture, I don't remember the name, that they were designed to be used with a winch.
Old 02-09-2008, 20:00   #21

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Am i missing something The 800SL is a continious line furler? The Drum does not "collect" the line but works much like a windless drum. In a loop ?

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:17   #22

Boat: Roberts 434 Ketch - Rockhopper of Lune
Send a message via Skype™ to P.Cavanagh
Changing the Furl Line on SeaFurl5-325?

Hi Guys
I have been reading through all of the posts relating to the Hood Sea Furl 5. I have the 325 Model and need to renew the furling line.

I know this question has been asked several times in this thread but I cannot find an answer anywhere.

My furling line disappears through a hole in the inner drum but I can't see how to access that area and don't want to start dismantling blindly.

If anyone has experience could they tell me which screws to undo to get at the securing point. Now wouldn't it have been nice to have a section in the manual on this?
thanks
Pete
P.Cavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 20:29   #23

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
If you find that one out, let me know, same problem and the web site for seafurl doesnt help.
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 21:04   #24

loosen furler helps reefing in

I"ve also got a Hood Seafurl system, one of the older models. It has one line that rolls up into and around the furler as the sail is pulled out. I replaced all the bearings in the roller last year and still found it to be very difficult to furl in the sail. FINALLY, I rented "Sailing in Heavy Weather" video from Netflix and learned that putting too much tension on the jib halyard puts great strain on the furling system, making it harder to furl in the sail and could harm the furler bearings in the process.
I immediately slackened the jib halyard (I did have it set really tight) a little and found the roller furler now finally functions the way it should -- nice and easily. And the sail still seems to be tight enough to sail well without any wrinkles in the sail. I simply had the jib halyard set too tight. I could have destroyed my furler or ever broken the forestay had I not seen that movie.
dancamp009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 01:34   #25

On the seafurl. to replace the line you have to unscrew four bolts on the inside face of the drumm [alen screws] and them pull the drum up to expose the inner tub where the bearings are. them you feed the line thru the hole in the drum, the line has a not in the end to keep from coming out.
Note that the line can not be to tick otherwise it will not fit in the espace beetwhem the inside of the drum and the bearing house, on my the inner core of the twobraided line had to be removed to acomodate the tiny clearane, my also is a 9/16 line
luso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:30   #26

I have an older Seafurl on my 1979 Pearson 30 that is very hard to pull in. What's the best way to lub the bearings? All the fasteners are frozen so I don't believe I can take it apart. My plan is to douse it with WD40 and fresh water. Any thoughts? Thanks Chris
chrisyse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood